Symptoms of a Bad/Weak fuel injector - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rpenkola250
Symptoms of a Bad/Weak fuel injector

My truck has not been running the way it should or the way it used to run. It has been like this for about two months now and I can't seem to figure out what it is. I was kind of thinking it could be a weak/bad fuel injector(s). Does anyone know what the symptoms of a bad/weak fuel injector are?? Any help would be appreciated
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Have you ever put some diesel kleen in your truck?

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

I run it every now and then in the summer, and full time in fall, winter, and spring. Cheap fix if it is dirty....may take 2 or 3 tanks.
Todes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

What are your symptoms. Louder at idle? Louder all around? Low Power? Smoke or hard start?

I agree with Todes. Do you use a fuel additive? I have tried a few, but feel mine likes the Stanadyne.

I also agree it takes 1-3 tanks to hear and feel the difference.
Early '99 F350 Supercab DRW 4x4 Handshaker; BD Exhaust Brake; BD Gauges; BD 90hp X-Power Chip; 4" Turbo Back Exhaust; IC Foil Delete; Wicked Wheel; Banks Quick-Turbo Housing; Banks Big Head Actuator; Afe Stage I; Zoodad Mod; Dual Optima Red Tops; Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Housing & 203 Stat; Ranger Heater Core Valve; Rear Firestone Airbags ; Monroe Reflex Shocks.
jakebeefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes i use additive faithfully, and have tried several kinds. I have been through over 3 tank fulls of diesel since this has started...back to the symptoms, yes it has pretty much everything you listed
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
the noises are hard to diagnos with out hearing them.....lets start with the smoke.

when does it smoke?

What color is the smoke?

How long does it smoke for?
Todes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

If it sits all night and I start it in the morning, it is pretty hard to start and when it finally starts the engine runs real rough and puts out a ton of white/grey smoke. after about 3 minutes the smoke dies out. The glow plugs are brand new and it is middle of summer, not winter time. Even if the truck sits for like 5 hours and i go to start it, it puts out a ton of smoke. I also constantly get a light stream of black smoke everytime i step on the gas. It sounds like it has a miss, but no one can figure it out
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
First thing I would suspect would be the under valve cover harness. Pull the valve covers and check the harness, very common on these trucks for them to become unplugged, or burned up. While you are there "watch" the injectors squirting oil with the truck running. If you see one that isn't squirting oil you have found a bad injector.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2009, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpenkola250 View Post
If it sits all night and I start it in the morning, it is pretty hard to start and when it finally starts the engine runs real rough and puts out a ton of white/grey smoke. after about 3 minutes the smoke dies out. The glow plugs are brand new and it is middle of summer, not winter time. Even if the truck sits for like 5 hours and i go to start it, it puts out a ton of smoke. I also constantly get a light stream of black smoke everytime i step on the gas. It sounds like it has a miss, but no one can figure it out
This is likely two different issues. On the start - just because the GPs are new, does not mean they are working. Check the GP relay and that batteries.

The smoke during running could be many things including a turbo going south.

Also, how's your oil. Was there anything done recently about the tie the problem started?

Might want to find scanner and run a CCT.

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

I just went thruogh similar ploblems with my 99 psd. It started ok but lacked power and there was a noticible miss at low rpm. I would check your valve cover wiring harness. Start the truck with the valve covers off and check the oil spit on each injector. Compare it to the rest of them if one is different than it is more than likely that injector. Also with the engine running you can pull off the electrical connector on each injector one at a time and see if one injector doesn't make a difference. Sometimes these tests can be more difinitive that trusting a dealer to screw you over. I had ford tell me my IDM was bad 2 times after I replaced it with one I bought from them. In the end I bought a set of injectors installed them and the truck runs great. Good luck
atatarian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.