Symptoms of Leaking Boots on Intercooler Tubes or Intake to Heads - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Symptoms of Leaking Boots on Intercooler Tubes or Intake to Heads

Guys,

What are some symptoms of leaking boots on the intercooler pipes or intake to the heads?

Are they as prone to leaking as some diesel performance companies say?

I have an oil residue that keeps persisting even after I try to tighten the clamps on the motor. Also, wondering if I would have any added noise from the leaking boots.

Brian

1970 Mach 1 351C Stroked to 393ci

2002 Gray F250 7.3L-AFE Stage II, 275-70-18 Toyo Open Country H/T, Harley Wheels, Century Royal Cap.
mach1hauler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: Symptoms of Leaking Boots on Intercooler Tubes or Intake to Heads

Bob Riley ( www.dieselsite.com ) sells a leak tester that can find leaky boots in short order. The oil residue is from the crankcase ventilation system. The symptoms would be low boost and higher egts with more smoke at throttle. In the worst case scenario, a boot comes off and you have zero boost and low power with copious black sooty exhaust smoke. Be careful gratuitously tightening those clamps. They are constant torque and you can overtighten them, crushing the air intake manifolds which are just stamped metal. Similarly, the OEM CAC is metal reinforced plastic. You probably would not hurt the cast metal spider.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

So the oil residue is normal? I have some that appears to be sprayed up on the side of my AFE Stage II battery braket/wall in between the HOT IC Pipe and the battery.

Well, I will have to see if I crushed anything. I did not use a torque wrench but just used a 3/8 rachet.

Would I have some excessive noise coming from the motor? When I press the pedal I have an moaning sound coming from the motor which I thought (coupled with the residue) that I had some sort of leak in one of the boots.

The IC pipe on the driver side has started to rattle against the motor, I thought I would replace the boots with better performance from www.theDieselSite.com. Seems like the OEM ones have become a bit mushy and have allowed the pipe to move around more.

Brian

2002 Gray F250 7.3L-AFE Stage II, 275-70-18 Toyo Open Country H/T, Harley Wheels, Century Royal Cap.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes the oil residue is normal and can be cleaned right off with degreaser. I was tired of getting the residue on everything and chose to the the CCV mod (Crank Case bypass Mod), then installed new boots from dieselsite.. No more oil residue now. The oil residue comes from your crank case vent in which it vents vapors into the turbo. It fills your intercooler as well.. Its a very simple mod and can be made with supplies from Home Depot. I bought a complete kit off ebay that has everything including details instructions for $40..

I would say that new boots should also take care of you IC pipe movement, at least it did for me. You do still need some movement however due to the engine torque and engine movement.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, I think I am going to do the CCV Mod and change all the boots.

What torque am I supposed to apply to the clamps?

Any ideas on the deep graoning sound coming from the motor while applying the gas? Seems to be more prevalent while uphill or with loads.

Are there any aftermarket IC or up-pipes that I should consider when changing the boots?

Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

No just leave the pipes they are good, just new boots should do the trick. There is no torque spec that I know of for the clamp bolts.. I used hairspray on my IC pipes after cleaning them really good and have not had any boots blowing off since.
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

According to the repair manual DVD, 71 Lb/in.
Y2K,F-250 Lariat, PSD,Auto 4X2, NVK4, S.Cab,White, Banks T.O.P. and Muffler, Isspro Gauges, TTM, Sonnax & Tricumulator, Rancho 9000s, AIC, Silverstar Bulbs,SUVLIGHTS Harness,Homebrew "Britebox",Homebrew LED "Strobes", N-fab nerf steps, Heater Core mod
Dash mount digital trans. temp... Slimline LED'S Strobed Video
Tparker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.