Tire pressure for dually - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire pressure for dually

Well since I am new here and new to the Superduty, here is my first stupid question... I have 235/85/16 tires, my tires from the dealer are at 60lbs, should they be higher than that? On the side of the tire it has a max load of so many pounds lbs (I forget), but the preassure was 80lbs cold. Should the outside tires in the rear be filled a little less since I am not towing anything right now? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
2000 F350SD SC Dually Lariat 4X4 4:10 Automatic, all stock for now
sd350brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2006, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Tire pressure for dually

As you can see by my sig, I don't own a dually. However I think running 60-80lbs isn't needed unless you're loaded. I run55lbs in the front and 50 in the back normally. I think you could probably run 45lbs in all 4 rear tires with out any problems and probably have a better ride. I would run more in the front because that is where most of the weight is on our trucks. Try 50-55lbs and see how your tire wear looks. From what I've read on here the dually seem to experience quicker front tire wear.
HTH
01F350 CC 4WD 6SPD Arrow Canopy, 305/70/16's on 16"X8"wheels, HX mod, IAH plug, AFE Stage I w/pro guard 7 filter and overcoat. Evo tuner, WW, 4"exhaust,zoodad, Amsoil, Isspro gauges, GOS headlight harness,coolant filter
Endowment Member NRA
01crewcabtg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

This is my second F-350 DRW and I keep 65 in the front always and 45 in the rear when not loaded, maximum psi rating on the sidewall in the rear when loaded... E load range. I have always had even wear but keep an eye on your tire wear and adjust accordingly.
'02 F-350, auto, 4wd, 4:10, CC, DRW, LWB, Lariat, ISSPRO x 5, MBRP 4" SS, AIC, AIS, DTLS, BriteBox, Red-Head steering gear box, coolant bypass, 203 t-stat, 6.0 cooler, 120k... mostly stock but strong, pulls and hauls whatever I ask!!!
Fastcolts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanksfor the info!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

I do have a dually, and I run with 45 psi in all the rear tires and 55 psi in the front tires. They wear very evenly at this pressure. But that is unloaded. The best way to determine your inflation pressure is to use the manufacturers inflation table for your tires. It is the same regardless of manufacturer but is specific to your tire size and the load rating of the tires. Download the table here. Look at page 82. Take your truck to the local CAT scale and weigh it empty. Weigh it with your trailer (if you are towing) and adjust the inflation pressure according to the table.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
I have 235/85/16 tires, my tires from the dealer are at 60lbs, should they be higher than that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Lower than that unless you are overloaded.

Using the table haul-n' noted, When unloaded you need about 50 front and 35 rear.

Here's the load/inflation table for LT235/85R16 tires:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

PSI Max load on each tire
-----------------
Dual Single
----- ------
35 1585 1740
45 1805 1985
50 2006 2205
60 2205 2425
65 2381 2623
75 2580 2845
80 2778 3042
</pre><hr />

When you weigh your truck, unloaded or lightly loaded, it might weigh 4,400 on the front axle and 4,000 on the rear axle. So 2,200 pounds on each front tire and 1,000 pounds on each rear tire.

So you'd need 50 PSI in the front (single) tires. The rear (dual) tires aren't even loaded enough to be on the chart yet, so pump them up to the minimum of 35 PSI.

In fact, those rear duals can haul 6,340 pounds on the rear axle before you'd need more than 35 PSI. And when your rear axle is grossing 6,340, your front axle will be about 4,800. So you can load'er down to around 11,000 pounds GVW before you need to add more than 35 PSI to the rear tires. Of course, you'll need to pump the front tires up to about 60 PSI when you're grossing 11,000.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow. It is a pretty involved process for just putting air in the tires. Thanks Hualin horses for the table. Just can't find info like this easily. You guys helped me alot. Thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think being grossed out at 11,000lbs and running 35psi of air in the rear tires is a very safe combination at all. Sure it will ride smooth but it ain't gonna handle worth a darn. What about sidewall flex, rearend sway and heat buildup in the tires due to the low air pressure?
I'll throw my nickels worth in here. About 60% of the miles on my truck are loaded heavy pulling a trailer. 100% of the miles it is always carrying something of a load due to an aux fuel tank and fuel, two toolboxes, tools, spare parts, safety equipment and three different hitches. I carry about 1,000 to 1,200lbs of "stuff" in the bed 100% of the time. Plus in the cab of the truck a cooler full of drinks, extra drinks, some food,clothes and whatever I need to run while I'm gone for a week or so.
I run 75psi in the steers and 70psi in the drives....all the time empty or loaded. Yeah it does ride a little rougher on bad roads but I get better fuel mileage, handling and tire wear at these pressures. I pulled the last set of tires off when they had 93,000 miles on them and put 'em on another truck to finish them out.
Granted my situation is probably different than yours but I just can't see running 35psi in the rear tires anytime, even empty.
Using the "chalk method" is a good way to figure out how much pressure you need to get good wear.
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

[ QUOTE ]
Well since I am new here and new to the Superduty, here is my first stupid question... I have 235/85/16 tires, my tires from the dealer are at 60lbs, should they be higher than that? On the side of the tire it has a max load of so many pounds lbs (I forget), but the preassure was 80lbs cold. Should the outside tires in the rear be filled a little less since I am not towing anything right now? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]Take a look at this thread. I had aired up to 65 psi front and 60 psi rear for a heavy load and was still adequately inflated at those pressures.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Fast,
Is dead on the money! If you keep that much pressure in the rear with no load you will wear the centers of your tires out.
ATS housing
W Wheel
Turbo Timer
manual waste gate
boost pop off
dual tranmission cooler
no exhaust valve
tripple phantom gauges
dieselsite 6 position chip
oil cross over line
transmission valve body
Billit Torque converter
crowhater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

the pressures i run on my dually is 70 in the front as well as the rears.......granted the truck will ride a little harder but its a truck not a caddy.......plus i also tow more than the average bear and haul stuff in the bed on a weekly basis so im not the typical guy but i have always been told 60psi is fine unloaded, one factor to take into account i ran these same pressures on the factory garbage general tires and wore the middle of the tires out faster due to the balloon effect........michelin ltx's are built much better and dont balloon like the generals did........lots of factors to consider and how you use yuour truck etc........if you run lower pressures your mileage could possibly suffer as well
96 f-350 2wd dually powerstroke roach coach 365k BTS tranny,4.10, XLT,alcoa alloys,tymar intake,western diesel downpipe, a/c bypass mod,coolant filter behind front bumper, beans stage 1's,dp tuner 60hp pcm, hx hardline crossover from ITP......

01 f-350 dually powerstroke lariat supercab 61k 4.10 4x4 ESOF, leather, heated seats all the toys i dont need, 4r100,garret ball bearing turbo,tymar intake, ccv redirected out under the truck,magnaflow 4inch tuner exhaust, a/c bypass mod,zoodad mod,autometer cobalt pyro boost and tranny,dp tuner 4program chip,ITP complete regulated return fuel kit,ITP hx crossover hard line,203 t-stat and dieselsite billet t-stat neck, coolant filter,dieselsite high pressure intercooler boots

2009 F-450 dually 6.4 auto 4.30 2wd XLT power pedals,aux cab heater, dual alternators,bostonian catering body,stock everything for now......things to change soon
chris bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

I feel that I must make a comment here. Ford puts a sticker on every vehicle it produces recommending a tire pressure. In this case it is 60 psi cold, all the way around. That is why the dealer set them that way. Check the door jamb on the left side, it has other info on it too. (VIN, GVWR, paint code, etc...)

I hate filling the tires when it is time to tow the trailer, cause I am usually in a rush to get going. So I keep mine @ 70-75 psi. It handles well, and if I wanted a smooth ride I would have bought a Lincoln Town car.

Low tire pressure can cause overheating and blowouts, not to mention ill handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.