Torque converter lock up switch pros and cons - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque converter lock up switch pros and cons

I am thinking about putting in a lock up switch and I would like some feed back from others.

First off does it still lock up the same as when the onboard computer tells it to.

I know that you shouldn't use it at low rpm, but what other problems come with it.

Do you let out of the gas when you are locking it up.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2007, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Torque converter lock up switch pros and cons

[ QUOTE ]
I am thinking about putting in a lock up switch and I would like some feed back from others.

First off does it still lock up the same as when the onboard computer tells it to. <font color="blue"> Only if you don't turn it on before that. It will lock when you throw the switch. I usually wait for the PCM to lock it up and then throw the switch to keep it locked.
</font>
I know that you shouldn't use it at low rpm, but what other problems come with it. <font color="blue"> You just have to remember to turn it off at about 1000-1200 RPMs when coming to a stop.
</font>
Do you let out of the gas when you are locking it up. <font color="blue"> I always do so that it locks smooth instead of slamming into lock. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps, Joe
Extra Trans Cooler, Before coolers trans fltr,
Coolant fltr, Crimestopper remote start/alarm
Oil Guard Bypass, Air horns
MOUNTAINMAN444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have one fitted and use it mainly when I am below 75-80 KMPH where the PCM will lock it up anyway.
Use it for slow speed work on bush tracks etc where if used as supplied the convertor is creating a lot of heat slipping.I ease of on the go pedal when engaging and you need to always unlock it. It will stall the motor if not unlocked and is embarrasing.
Regards
Ron
2000 F350 king cab 4x4,No engine mods,Roo Bar,Headlight and bonnet stone protectors,Inlet snorkel,flares on front,Engine driven air compressor and receiver,Hot water tap,tyre temp and pressure monitor,95 ltr fuel tank under right hand side,aluninium side steps,flat trayback,50ltr water tank under left hand side,heavy wired front and back for 4500lb electric winch, Bilnstien shocks,converted to right hand drive,battery conditioner,electric trailer brakes,heavy duty tow bar,synthetic oil in tranny,extra tranny coolerand filter ,tranny temp & pyro,
Ride-Rite airbags all round.Full flow muffler outlet at rear of vehicle.Engine breather mod.HHO generator
knapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2007, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Lets say I have it locked up in second gear and its going to change into third gear soon, do you just leave the lock up switch on or should I turn it off.

Thanks
Matt H
Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (52)

Once locked leave it... It will down shift and upshift without any help from you.
01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
CSIPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say I have it locked up in second gear and its going to change into third gear soon, do you just leave the lock up switch on or should I turn it off.

Thanks
Matt H

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt, once your rolling you can flip the switch in first gear if you really wanted to. It will shift normally right on up through the gears. When its locked and you begin coming to a stop, thats when youll have a problem. If you forget to unlock it at very slow speeds it will buck like a bull and probably stall the engine. This of it like a manual trans at a stop light. If you dont step on the clutch to disengage it will kill the engine. Pretty much the same with the TC.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I should have done this much sooner. It works perfectly for my towing needs.
I remember someone saying something about what rpm to stay above for pump reasons is that 1200 rpm or is that higher.

Thanks
Matt
Old 04-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Staying above 1200 RPM will be fine. Below that there may not be enough pump capacity to keep the torque converter clutch from slipping.
Casey_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.