The Diesel Stop banner

Trans fluid change

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  drtrash 
#1 ·
According to search, pull plug and drain is approx 6 qt, drop pan and its 8qrts. Is this due to draining TC?

#2 ·
No, it is not. Some fluid is trapped above the filter.

You really want to change ALL of the fluid. The torque converter holds another 7 quarts or so. Read THIS to see how to change all of the fluid.

#3 ·
Just finished servicing my BTS transmission according to Mark's excellent instructions. I used Mobil 1 fully synthetic fluid, which has served me well when towing our travel trailer over the years.

Be careful and do not overfill. Been there and done that several years ago.

#4 ·
Toughest part is crawling under the truck several times, particularly if you have old senior bones like I do!

Had to rest up several days afterwards, but the peace of mind knowing I did the job correctly was priceless.
Mike

#5 ·
Had local shop pull pan and filter. Asked how much oil came out, answer don't know but I put in 10 qt. checked levels with engine at operating temp and running and it's over hash marks. So is dropping out 2 qt reasonable?

#7 ·
It turned out to be 1.5qts over I think other posts recommended 8 qts with pan drop so lesson learned thx for all help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.