Trans Rebuild Advise? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Trans Rebuild Advise?

Its a very long story involving sending my tuner back to DP multiple times, in order to get it to work right, but the short version is that now it appears I have line pressure issues, and my trans is shot. It slips really bad when I give it more that 60% throttle especially in the 120 tune.

When I bought the truck, It suposedly had just got a bench rebuit trans with all the factory updates put in. That was at 220k. I now have 247k and the fluid smells burnt and Im told I need a rebuild.

Im thinking of doing it myself, but dont really know where to start looking for parts. Can anyone recommend a kit, or brand. I would like to upgrade the TC as well. I would like the trans to handle 850FT/LBS for the next 250K without having to pay somebody $3k-$4k to get there.

Any thoughts?
Isspro trans pyro, boost, Fuel Press. and HPOP Gauges
AeroForce Scan Gauge
Stage 1 single shots from Full Force
Riffraff FRX & HPX
Terminator 500 HPOP
EBPValve delete W/ Blank Pedistal
Kickers all around w/ 10" sub
4" Cold air intake
35" MTs with 1.5" wheel spacers
DP f5 Tuner w/ F8 switch
On board air w/ Air horn
AST Ultra remote start
WMO !!!!
Machiner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Had the same issue. Call me if you want to discuss. I didn't need a trans, it was caused by the tunes. I had a XLE8 pcm.
Rich six0two7six30three5nine. I'm 3 hours earlier than u.
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im pretty sure my clutches are nearly shot. The fluid smells burnt, but I can try giving you a call tomorrow.
AeroForce Scan Gauge
Riffraff FRX & HPX
Terminator 500 HPOP
4" Cold air intake
DP f5 Tuner w/ F8 switch
On board air w/ Air horn
AST Ultra remote start
WMO !!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey Daniel, Here's the part # (1C3F-12A650-ZB) for a PMT1 PCM(ECU). I believe the ZC & ZD #'s will also work as they are PMT2 & PMT3. You can ask Dennis @ Strictly as he's up on that info as he had to deal with mine and my issue.
Early 99 F250 XLT,White/Silver,4x4,SC,SB,A/T,PMT1,ARE LSII tonneau,Amp Research power steps,MB Razor's,295-60-20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,Rhino Liner,Rancho9000's,Bushwacker Street Flares,DP-Tuner F5,True-Cool Max,AFE modified-W.D.RamAir,5"Hypermax exhaust,Hypermax DP,Firestone Ride-Rites,2.5" front leveling leafs,AutoMeter-ProComps/triple pillar,heated TTT mirrors,DEI remote start,Amsoil enhanced.

Last edited by Rich D; 11-17-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Rich D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Machiner,

I don't remember the name of the place, but my transmission went out while pulling through the mountains. We found a place that increased line pressure by rebuilding the valve body with stiffer accumulators and a larger bore manual valve. They also replaced the clutches and installed a transmission temperature gauge, exhaust temp gauge and boost gauge. I don't remember the name of the place, but there has to be more places like this around somewhere? Maybe call around to the specialty repair shops near the mountains and ask what kind of "kit" they recommend.
1camper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Rich. I am looking for a PCM, but I am still looking into the trans rebuild just because it will need it anyway. I found this kit on Ebay, just wondering if anybody has any expierence with it, or thoughts on it.

4R100 E4OD Red Eagle Kolene Performance Transmission Deluxe Rebuild Kit 5/97-00 | eBay
AeroForce Scan Gauge
Riffraff FRX & HPX
Terminator 500 HPOP
4" Cold air intake
DP f5 Tuner w/ F8 switch
On board air w/ Air horn
AST Ultra remote start
WMO !!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm no transmission expert, but I can tell you that kit isn't going to be enough. There were a lot of hard parts in the 99 that were aluminum that just can't handle the loads expected of them. Brian has some pictures on his website - Brians Truck Shop

I thought I remember reading somewhere that John Woods sold a rebuild kit with his upgraded parts - might be worth a call.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
BTS or a JW trans...plus better tunes IMO. We are a dealer for BTS and have the best droped shiped price. PM me your zip code if you would like a quote.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys, I dont want to do this again in 50k miles.

I am still driving the truck with no changes, Im beginning to doubt the idea that the trans is shot. Sometimes it still works fine.

Still planning the rebuild though, I will need it soon regardless.
AeroForce Scan Gauge
Riffraff FRX & HPX
Terminator 500 HPOP
4" Cold air intake
DP f5 Tuner w/ F8 switch
On board air w/ Air horn
AST Ultra remote start
WMO !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.