Transmission - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Transmission

I have a 2001 f250 power stroke with 233000 miles. I have changed the trans fluid at every 50,000 miles. This trans just quit going forward out of the clear blue. When it would go forward it went through the gears perfect, if you put it in park with the engine running after a few minutes it won't move forward but backs up great. Sent it to the shop they said it was the converter. So they changed the converter and pump. Now it is worse it starts off and then after about 2feet it drops out of gear. If you give it WOT it will slip and start moving then it will go through the gears. On the way home it would down shift just going over an overpass on the interstate. Any ideas?

Thanks. Rick
Rick79400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

I'm not a tranny guru, but I think the phrase is, "stick a fork in it- it's done."

A BTS or a Ford HD would be good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
The shop didn't know what they were doing. If it were the converter it wouldn't back up or go forward. Stick a fork in it - it's done. It isn't electrical, it isn't the converter, and it isn't some adjustment. It has had a mechanical failure that will require a rebuild or replacement.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

As the other have said "stick a fork in it" my tranny did the same thing, one minute is was fine then the next it would barely move forward but reverse was fine, new tranny had to go in. I'd get my money back on the parts that where already changed because they where not the fit.
PHP Hydra
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
233k? Pretty good there...
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.