Transmission won't go into park - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission won't go into park

I pulled my 2001 F350 4X4 with 7.3l diesel and 4 speed auto transmission into a parking lot. I was pulling a 10,000 lb trailer. It was a slight uphill slope. I stopped, set the parking brake, put the transmission into park, and turned off the engine. When I took my foot off the service brake, the trailer and truck started rolling backward. I had not set the parking brake hard enough. Then something snapped in the transmission or transmission linkage. I looked on the floor of the truck beneath my feet, and saw a torx bolt lying there on the floor. Maybe it fell from the transmission linkage? Now the transmission will not go into park. I can still start the truck by putting the shifter lever into neutral. If I put the shift lever as far as possible toward park, the transmission is in reverse, but I can get the key in and out.

Do you think that something came loose in the linkage, or is the transmission broken?
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Transmission won't go into park

Common problem, look up at the column, where the shifter lever connects, wiggle the shifter you will see the other loose bolt. Put a dab of blue loctite on it and bolt it back up, do the same to the other bolt. A flashlight mounted on you forehead is a great plus for this job.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
arisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Re: Transmission won't go into park

Thank you Andy, that fixed the problem.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.