Truck died, fuel pump? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck died, fuel pump?

Made a turn onto a 45mph road near my house, stomped on the pedal, accelerated briskely, then everything went black, the SES light came on for a second, then went out.

Coasted to side of the road, had truck towed to mechanic. He replaced the CPS, but it didn't seem to help, as it seems like it wants to start, but is starved for fuel.

So he replaced the fuel filter, and checked the pump, and the output PSI on the frame-mounted pump is only 60 psi.

Truck was running fine before, never had a problem with it.

I'm still suspicious that the CPS is broke, or something is worng with it, but he says the manual says fuel pressure is supposed to be 90+lb's.

2001 F350, 7.3, crew-cab, 4x4.

If it was fuel, I would've guessed more sputter and popping, this just died instantly.

Any thoughts on other things to check? He did say he noticed what he thought was some brass in the filter when he cut it apart.

In the hopper: chip, exhaust, WW, guages.
mrcpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcpu View Post
Made a turn onto a 45mph road near my house, stomped on the pedal, accelerated briskely, then everything went black, the SES light came on for a second, then went out.

Coasted to side of the road, had truck towed to mechanic. He replaced the CPS, but it didn't seem to help, as it seems like it wants to start, but is starved for fuel.

So he replaced the fuel filter, and checked the pump, and the output PSI on the frame-mounted pump is only 60 psi.

Truck was running fine before, never had a problem with it.

I'm still suspicious that the CPS is broke, or something is worng with it, but he says the manual says fuel pressure is supposed to be 90+lb's.

2001 F350, 7.3, crew-cab, 4x4.

If it was fuel, I would've guessed more sputter and popping, this just died instantly.

Any thoughts on other things to check? He did say he noticed what he thought was some brass in the filter when he cut it apart.

60 psi is good for stock engine
Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, just came back from the shop. Truck still won't start. Not throwing any codes, but not starting either.

Glow plugs tested good, it sounds like it wants to start, just can't quite kick off.

I'm kind of thinking that maybe there's still a bunch of trapped air somewhere, and it's not getting enough fuel, but not sure how to bleed it out.

Mechanic wants to look at the ECM next.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think you might go with your gut and change the cps, also look and see if any wires are chaffed as it goes over the valve cover. Dave
Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
has he checked the #30 fuse (fuel heater)? if it blows the PCM won't get power..with all the brass in the filter who knows.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I believe he told me he checked all the fuses, and all the sensors. He replaced the CPS again with an official Ford one as well.

When it's cranking, I see a little smoke out the exhaust, kind of a dirty grey. But honestly, not as much as I expect from what Ii remember seeing on a cold start.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Possible Solutions

MRCPU,
I had a series of similar incidents...please read the following and hopefully one of them helps. These are from my previous posts:

Well gentlemen,
I could not find a place that had a "thorough diesel" code reader...so...off to Ford I went. After a $70 diagnostic, they told me it was the ICP sensor (Code: P1280 and P1212). They also told me the PCM was failing (Code: P0605) (wrong), the ICP was causing a PCM failure (BTW, new PCM = $775 + 1.5hr labor). After a diagnostic ($78), an hour of labor ($78), an ICP sensor ($177.10), an ICP connector ($83.18) and tax, minus a 10% military discount (-$41.63), I left the dealership with a $395 bill. I hate spending money, but "knowing" that the problem has been fixed is well worth it.

break
Greetings all,
To date, I have experienced all of the aforementioned problems, including the dealer trying to sell me a brand new ECM (last resort). My first problem was the CPS (cut out while driving/no restart). Replaced it and all was good until the ICP (sensor and connector) went bad (donít delay, fix it now). The ICP fix (which was caked with oil) made the ECM fault go away. Yesterday, I had another hard no start. A friend helped narrow it down to the GPR as the full tank, strong batteries (good crank), and white smoke (tail pipe) left few remaining options. Thankfully, one of the wires going into the GPR was bent over 90 degrees, once straightened, she fired right up and I have had zero problems since. BTW, the power prayer goes a long way my wife and I prayed a lot over the no start as it was Sunday morning and we were running late for worship.

break

In addition, your fuel lift (in-tank) may be bad or your lift-boot (wrong name, but you should get the drift) may have come loose (as mine has) causing your truck to act like it has run out of fuel at 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank. Mine started cutting off when the LFL came on, then when it hit 1/8 and then again at 1/4. Needless to say, she doesn't get anywhere near a 1/4 before I fill her up. I hope this helps.

God bless,
Jon
BigCountry76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
MRCPU,

it is not your fuel pump. period. even with a dead fuel pump, the engine will suck enough fuel to at least idle. not healthy for the injectors, but she still will be running.
60 PSI is stock pressure. The pump can deliver about 100 PSI when new, but the stock pressure regulator is 60 PSI.
When you see white smoke, that means you get `most likely some fuel into the engine, means pumps are working, HPOP building enough pressure, PCM is working to fire the injectors and the injectors are pumping fuel into the combustion chamber. Check everything that has to do with the glow plugs. That is what I would suggest to start with. How old is your relay? If you are not sure, you can "borrow" the AIH relay (mounted right besides the GPR) to test. Don't use it continuously, but a test is fine. Also, measure resistance of the glow plugs, this tells you if your glow plugs are toast or if you have possibly a UVCH problem that you can pin-point this way.
AE: southern Vancouver Island, B.C. or wherever I go.
Cedric: 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo Zebra, 5spd. trans. 4WD, 4.0l (for sale)
Jeep: 2002 Jeep TJ Sport 5spd. 4.0l, bone stock, garage find super mint condition.
Camper: 2012 Palamino Maverick 8801
eriol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

The engine has no way to suck fuel if the lift pump is not working. If it is putting out less than 5 psi there is no way the engine can start. However, 60 psi is fine.
A glowplug system fault will not cause a stall unless the relay shorts out in which case you would have a blown fuse.
You posted 'everything went black'. If you mean the dash all went out, you most definitely have an electrical problem. If the SES light wasn't just a bulb check when it stalled, you should have stored codes. You need them retrieved.
If your mechanic is a diesel tech he should have scanned the truck and checked all the fuses. Does the WTS lamp come on? No WTS means the PCM is not getting power- most common cause a shorted fuel heater.(Will also blow a fuse)
Evel486 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had a fuel pump fail while driving my '01 F250. The truck just died and I lost steering and brakes. Muscled it to the side of the road and finally got it stopped in a ditch.
Surlyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evel486 View Post
The engine has no way to suck fuel if the lift pump is not working. If it is putting out less than 5 psi there is no way the engine can start. However, 60 psi is fine.
A glowplug system fault will not cause a stall unless the relay shorts out in which case you would have a blown fuse.
You posted 'everything went black'. If you mean the dash all went out, you most definitely have an electrical problem. If the SES light wasn't just a bulb check when it stalled, you should have stored codes. You need them retrieved.
If your mechanic is a diesel tech he should have scanned the truck and checked all the fuses. Does the WTS lamp come on? No WTS means the PCM is not getting power- most common cause a shorted fuel heater.(Will also blow a fuse)
By "everything went black", I mean that the all the dash instruments stopped working, the SES light came on briefly. I think even the stereo quit. Since the steering was dead, I was looking to check traffic to pull off safely so I didn't keep my eyes glued to the dash. But as I recall, the SES light went out after a few seconds. Pulled off, turned the key off, tried to restart, and nothing. Loud rattles, but no go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.