truck shakes between 70 and 80 mph - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck shakes between 70 and 80 mph

Highway driving, my 2001 excursion, 140k miles, has developed a shake around 75 mph. Slow to below 70, speed up above 80, and it goes away.

Tires are michelin with ~15,000 miles on them. Had them balanced and rotated front-to-back last week, problem unchanged.

Any suggestions?
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Is the shake coming from the front or back? Left or right? I thinks it is still your tires. Try having a different shop balance them.

Another trick I heard was using two acorn style lug nuts to perfectly center the tire on the hub. You then install the six factory lug nuts and remove the two acorn nuts and replace them with the remaining lug nuts. I havent tried it though.

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
lone_star_dsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_star_dsl View Post
Another trick I heard was using two acorn style lug nuts to perfectly center the tire on the hub. You then install the six factory lug nuts and remove the two acorn nuts and replace them with the remaining lug nuts. I havent tried it though.
Not sure how that would work, my tires sit pretty tight on the hub...

My truck had a shake at those speeds for two reasons (two separate times), one was a bad front balljoint, the other time was the carrier bearing.
AFE Stage II Intake, AFE 4" Turbo-Back Exhaust, CCV Mod, Zoodad Mod, Pre-pump Mod, Flex-A-Lite Tranny Cooler, Draw-Tite Activator II Trailer Brake Control, IC Foil Wrap Delete, 203 Thermostat, Ford reman. Turbo, Fleetrite HD ELC, Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic, 4300K 35Watt dual beam HIDs, DB High-Torque Starter, Isspro EV gauges (trans,boost,pyro)
Tony_ONeil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

If its coming from rear, Ujoints. If its all the way around bad balance job. They make an adapter plate for 8 lugs wheels for balancing. With out youll be there all day trying to balance them. And they should be dynamic balance. That means wheel weights on the outside of the rim and the inside of the rim. You DO NOT want a static balance.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

It sounds like tire to me. I would ask the tire shop when was the last time they calibrated the wheel balancer. If the machine is out of spec than your wheel/tire assemblies will be out of balance. I would also have them check the "Road Force", aka radial first harmonic. These forces appear on all tires but the frequency and severity depend on the tire itself. I would have the tire shop rebalance after a calibration of the machine, check the "Road Force" of the tires. Once the tires are complete have the tire with the lowest "Road Force" placed at the left front, the next lowest on the right front and then the tire with the highest at the right rear.
Depending on where you get your tire work done the balance is free and the "Road Force" is a nominal charge. If the tire shop is any good they are calibrating their machine a couple times a week since it only takes 5 minutes to calibrate.
tuatruck7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.