The Diesel Stop banner

Are Truck/van 7.3L 4r100 the same?

6K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  PowStrokeYz 
#1 ·
Do they interchange as long as they are 4x4?

#3 ·
I have been talking about rebuilding my 4r100 on here for a while now. I have found a 2002 4r100 4x4 from a van that i will purchase so i can rebuild that one instead of what is in my truck. When i was in a accident a crack developed along the top of my current trans and destroyed the housing between the tail and transfercase. I had it tig welded but my buddy who will aid me in rebuilding is not to confident about the welded trans.

For 150 bucks i do not want to pass it up. I have searched for an answer about the bellhousing but could not find it.

I assume you probably know the answer if the pattern is the same for my 01'?

#5 ·
Is their a possibility that this trans i am looking at will not work fitment wise? Such as the spline count of the input shaft?

#6 ·
If it came from a diesel 4x4 it will work. The van 4x2 and truck 4x2 transmissions are exactly the same in every way. Ford never built a 4x4 E Series van, so I can't be sure what the trans you're look at looks like. It most likely is a truck 4x4 trans.

#8 ·
I've found a site that describes what the badge numbers on the transmission means. This will hopefully be the information I need as long as it is still on there

#9 ·
So the owner now there is no badge because the previous owner pulled the ebrake assemebly off and put a 1356 transfer case on it. I do not know what this tells me except make me suspicious. I am going to look at it tomorrow. Is there any thing i can look for that will determine it is a 4x4 and not 4x2?

#10 ·
The only difference between 4x2 and 4x4 is the output shaft. The length and splines are different. But I don't have those details.

#11 ·
Mark. Hopefully it works out. Here is a pic of the badge id and it states 4x4. Apparently it came out of an ambulance. Also here is a shot of the rear housing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.