Truck "wanders" on the highway - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck "wanders" on the highway

My truck really seems to "wander" on the highway......I really feel like I'm constantly correcting the steering to keep it in a straight line.

I recently replaced the tires, ball joints, and got an alignment.

20K ago I got new front shocks, (Blisteins) and replaced most of the other front end components. (pitman arms, etc) Rear shocks are the originals.

It seems to happen the most on rougher pavement. If I hit a patch of bumpy highway, the truck seems to go all over the place.

Any ideas?
CCS GP #171
2005 Lightweight Supersport Champion
www.greenlawnracing.com
2001 2WD XLT SC
Edge J/A
AFE Stage 1
greenlawnracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Probably your steering box. They get sloppy over time.

My Baby: 2004.5 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L Cummins LWB 4X4 6-speed. Smarty, Raptor 150, South Bend Clutch purchased and soon to be installed.
randallp84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have been down that road as well. Like you I replaced my tires and balljoints. This helped some. I then replaced the front shocks for Bilsteins. This help more. Due to availability issues, I had to wait a couple months for my rear bilsteins to arrive. During that time I too experienced the rear end skitter when hitting large bumps. As soon as I added the rear shocks, that ceased to be a problem.

My steering is still a touch loose but with 220k on a 99psd, it is as good as its going to get without a new stearing box. It is however a whole lot better than it used to be before I changed everything out.

I noticed your from Kansas... I though all your roads are straight out there. You shouldn't have to steer much anyhow!
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

tire pressure can cause this too. If I air up past 55 unloaded i get some good wander over bumps
2001 X, 4x4, White, Limited, PSD,. Oil Guard, Stull 6099 Grille, AFE Intake, X Monitor, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Mobil 1 ATF w/Racor tranny filter, PHP Custom Burn Chip, Walker BTM, W Code Frt Springs, Procomp Add-a-Leaf Rear, Rancho 9000XL's w/5406 SS. Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/txangler32
TXANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Was it a Toe and Go Alignment or a Full one including Camber/Caster?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallp84 View Post
Probably your steering box. They get sloppy over time.
I actually tried this a few weeks ago, but I found that the tighter steering made it worse. I was under the impression that you wanted SOME slop on the larger trucks. When I tightened it a quarter turn, the input seemed to sudden and actually made it harder to control the truck.

Is steering really what is causing my problem? I thought it would be something else with my suspension or other front end components. I hit a large bump last night and man......the truck just went all over the road. Could it be because I didn't replace the rear shocks? Could my "new" front shocks be worn already?

Quote:
Was it a Toe and Go Alignment or a Full one including Camber/Caster?
Full alignment. I can post the before/after when I get home

Quote:
tire pressure can cause this too. If I air up past 55 unloaded i get some good wander over bumps
I'll double check the pressure, but I believe its set at 50 front/70 rear as stated in the door jam.

Quote:
I have been down that road as well. Like you I replaced my tires and balljoints. This helped some. I then replaced the front shocks for Bilsteins. This help more. Due to availability issues, I had to wait a couple months for my rear bilsteins to arrive. During that time I too experienced the rear end skitter when hitting large bumps. As soon as I added the rear shocks, that ceased to be a problem.

My steering is still a touch loose but with 220k on a 99psd, it is as good as its going to get without a new stearing box. It is however a whole lot better than it used to be before I changed everything out.

I noticed your from Kansas... I though all your roads are straight out there. You shouldn't have to steer much anyhow!
LOL most of our roads are straight.....and actually when I'm going through a curve its no problem at all......its actually when I'm going in a straight line. The truck seems to wander from side to side and when I hit a bump.....man......look out!

I believe the movement is all coming from the front, but I could be wrong. Could my OEM rear shocks be the problem?

I've also heard that the MOOG ball joints I used could be the culprit as well as they are "too stiff". But I was under the impression that MOOG was top of the line when it came to steering components.
CCS GP #171
www.greenlawnracing.com
2001 2WD XLT SC
Edge J/A
AFE Stage 1
Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I used the MOOG ball joint on my front end. I found they helped my steering... Of course if you saw the old ball joints, you would realize it couldn't have gotten much worse.

My ball joints, front shock and new rubber took care of most of my wandering problems. I did however still experience trouble when I would hit a large bump. The arse end of the truck would take a nice side ways bounce and you had to make some quick adjustment to keep her straight. Rail road tracks where great for doing this... I found that after I installed new bilstein rear shocks this rarely ever happens. The new rear shocks helped with this rear end wandering quite a bit.
Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Check the drag link. They get a little sloppy too....... I did mine a little while back and it helped a lot.....

2002 F-250 XLT CC SB\HPX\ITP prepump mod\Harpoon\DI 65psi fuel shim\4" SS turbo back Magnaflow\Fumoto\FTVB\Edge Evolution2\Zoodad\2008 Diff cover\V-10 Transmission cooler
fddriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Drag link would explain front axle wondering as compared to body movement.
acer2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer2428 View Post
Drag link would explain front axle wondering as compared to body movement.
I'm not sure that I'm following you - can you elaborate on what front axle wandering is vs body movement?

Also.....I'll show my ignorance. How does one inspect a drag link?
CCS GP #171
www.greenlawnracing.com
2001 2WD XLT SC
Edge J/A
AFE Stage 1
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I think he means to check the track bar to see if it is loose or has a bad bolt/bushing.

could also be a loose steering box.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedicus View Post
I think he means to check the track bar to see if it is loose or has a bad bolt/bushing.

could also be a loose steering box.
Ok, I'm stupid. What is a track bar? Anybody got a pic?

I just pushed on my fender, and the truck bounced up and down two or three times. Would that mean that my shocks have gone bad?
CCS GP #171
www.greenlawnracing.com
2001 2WD XLT SC
Edge J/A
AFE Stage 1
Old 09-24-2009, 08:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

70 unloaded in the rear will cause bounce and directional instability. Thats a "at" load PSI recommendation.
2001 X, 4x4, White, Limited, PSD,. Oil Guard, Stull 6099 Grille, AFE Intake, X Monitor, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Mobil 1 ATF w/Racor tranny filter, PHP Custom Burn Chip, Walker BTM, W Code Frt Springs, Procomp Add-a-Leaf Rear, Rancho 9000XL's w/5406 SS. Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/txangler32
TXANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

What should it be unloaded?
CCS GP #171
www.greenlawnracing.com
2001 2WD XLT SC
Edge J/A
AFE Stage 1
Old 09-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

I run about 50 - 55 psi all the way around. 99% of the time unloaded.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.