The Diesel Stop banner

Turbo Problems?

6K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  wrightpaint 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was Driving my 2000 F350 Crew cab home and all of a sudden I lost power. I got home and reved the engine and could only get about 2700 RPM's it ran rough.At idle I'm getting tons of white smoke and at full throtle I get black smoke as well. I checked the boost gauge and I could only generate about 3-4lbs of boost. I checked all the intake boots and they all seem to be in good order. any Ideas?

#2 ·
Could it be a wastegate issue? I was driving it very easy as I was on packed snow so I can't imagine that the wastegate would just pop open. also for the last several months my truck has had a shudder between 1000-1500 rpm once above that it seems to go away. could they be related?

#3 ·
Possible exhaust back pressure valve stuck open? Unplug the sensor and see if that helps. The line to the sensor might be clogged.

#4 ·
I would check to make sure your chip is secured in the pcm. If it is try removing it, the truck will run its just a little touchy coming off idle. if that's not it, check the under valve cover harnesses. Good luck

#5 · (Edited)
Was it very cold? I am thinking gelled fuel or a fuel pressure/tank issue in general. Can you measure fuel pressure?

edit: I just noticed your location, gelling seems unlikely. You still need to check fuel pressure though, poor fuel delivery can cause all the issues you are having.

#6 ·
Would it cause it to happen so quickly? I.E. it was driving fine 1 second then it wasn't? I'll check those things and get back to you guys

#7 ·
How many miles has the truck done ?

Check the centre shaft in the turbo for excessive play.
blue99 should be along soon, he loves turbo's

#8 ·
I had the same happen when my center shaft broke, the only difference is i wasn't building any boost.

I would check the center shaft like Googs suggested, make sure that the wastegate is not stuck open and EBPV not stuck close.

If those look good, look at the fuel pressure like BigB suggested, make sure the filter look good and pressure is good. For quick test You can open the fuel bowl drain valve and get someone to start the truck and look at the flow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
Unless the ebpv is stuck or the exhaust wheel sheared off its not a turbo issue.

Sounds like a fuel or high pressure oil issue to me.

#10 · (Edited)
ok, so the turbo shaft is fine (no play) and spins freely. I'm also getting some smoke from behind the engine. I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. how do you check the wastegate? I'll check fuel pressure next. my fuel pump went out about 4-5 months ago and I had to put another one in. Related? 300k on the truck. The HPOP I replaced about 6 months ago with a used one off of a motor with about 100k miles on it.

#11 ·
If you are getting smoke right behind the engine check the exaust clamp comming off the turbo. With a leak their it will build very little boost.

#12 ·
#13 ·
The W/G controls TBP (turbo boost pressure ) with in the intake system , the pCM adjusts the W/G operation by controlling the W/G solenoid that bleeds intake manifold pressure from the wastegate actuator to the intake.The rod that comes out of the W/G actuator should have movement in it , if it doesn't your ebpv could be stuck causing your problem.
Do a boost check on the system a leaking boot or even a pin hole will cause problems. you can make this tester for next to nothing.
Check fuel pressure?
You'll need one of these 1/8" NPT straight pressure port adapter. and a good Quality gauge .
Have the filters in the fuel tank been cleaned? and how much fuel was in the truck at the time?

#14 ·
Ok, so I finally got a fitting to check the fuel pressure and I got nothing. I thought it might be the gauge then I realized I didn't hear the pump. It's only about 6 months old but I replaced it with one from a wrecking yard and it still doesn't come on. I checked the#19 fuse and it is good. Is there another fuse? the funny thing is that after cranking it for a bit it will start, runs horrible but it starts. where do I go from here?

#15 · (Edited)
I do believe there is a fuel cut off button
Fuel Cut-Off Inertia Switch , the button is located on the passenger side by the kick panel.

Is there power to the fuel pump?

I take it you've removed the chip/or set back to stock before all the testing.

#16 ·
Ok, maybe I should start a new thread. It turns out that the fuel pump quit on me its barley a year old. One negative the fuel filter was black so I think I'll have to look into the "Hutch" mod I think it is. So I finally got fuel pressure and the engine was cranking slowly,I thought I had run the batts down some. Finally as I was cranking the starter just stopped. It engages but nothing moves. never had this problem before. I took the starter off of my cousins wrecked truck with the same results. I took both starters in to be tested and they both passed. Batts are fully charged and it just hangs up. I did nothing to do with anything other than check fuel pressure, pull the intake off to look at the turbo wheel, check the fuses, and replace the fuel pump. It does this from the key as well as the solenoid. I'm frustrated and perplexed. I'm going to check out and see if this has been an issue for anyone else. thanks for everyones help

#17 ·
2 starter tested good, i would get those batteries load tested. It almost sound like it hydrolock somehow

#18 ·
Batteries are 2 month old Exide edge and seem to have a lot of get up and go. especially compared to the batteries I've been using. I thought about Hydro-lock but I didn't take it even close to that far apart. I changed the injectors about 5 months ago but I've put 10k plus on my truck since then. What could cause it to lock up?

#19 ·
How much volt do you get at the starter?

Are you able to turn the engine by hand?

Maybe try with the trans in neutral

Just to make sure the truck doesn't crank and the starter do engage....

#20 ·
so for some reason my engine hydro locked. I pulled the glow plugs, spun the engine and got lots of what I can only imagine was fuel. how did I get enugh in my engine to lock it up? Now it starts and I have no boost to speak of. I found ou that the driver side uppipe is blowing a heavy stream of white exhaust. I guess I'm working on that tomorrow.

#21 ·
Witch cylinder did the fuel came out of? Doesn't need much to hydrolock a diesel. Probably a bad injector

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.