The Diesel Stop banner

Turns over but wont start.... HELP!

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  klhansen 
#1 ·
Early 99 F-250. Truck turns over but wont start. Brand new starter, new batteries, new alternator. was working great, then this. side notes: since i changed all those things, the batt. light has remained on, and whe this not starting problem began, I would occasionaly get a wierd buzzing noise from under the hood/dash.

#2 ·
I am currently working on the same problem with my truck. I stayed up until 3 in the morning swapping out the hpop, cam sensor, and IPR. still no start. i have been refilling the hpop reservoir. every time i do the truck starts and runs rough for ten seconds and dies. I checked my oil level on my dipstick and it rose by the amount of oil i put into the reservoir (one gallon). could the low pressure pump not be supplying my hpop causing a lack of pressure for the injectors resulting in their inability to fire?

#4 ·
high pressure oil pump. Dont worry, I'm not far ahead of you. I am self tought by many mistakes and many questions. The way i understand it is your high pressure oil pump pressurizes your oil which operates your injectors (in the simple way that i see it in my head). No high pressure oil= no start. I also have a mechanic for a neighbor that gives me guidance.

#6 ·
The batt light typically indicates the alternator is not putting out or you have a bad connection. The buzzing relays also indicate low voltage to support this. Check your connections and/or have the alternator checked, especially if its a rebuilt.

#7 ·
i just noticed a pool of fuel under the truck. There is a metal hose that is dripping fuel from the end while trying to start the truck. it does not look like it can connect to anything is this normal. the truck still wont start just cranks over (really fast with the new batteries)

#8 ·
i just noticed a pool of fuel under the truck. There is a metal hose that is dripping fuel from the end while trying to start the truck. it does not look like it can connect to anything is this normal. the truck still wont start just cranks over (really fast with the new batteries)
That's the fuel filter drain valve outlet tube. Up in the FAQ subforum there's a thread on how to change out the 0-ring seals in the drain valve.

To the OP:
Since you're hearing clicking under the dash, that's a sign that your batteries are shot or there's a problem getting voltage thru the cable connections (corrosion, etc). If the starter doesn't turn it over at 100 RPM or more it won't start. Also, the PCM will stop working if voltage gets too low. Check the batteries before you go tearing things apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.