The Diesel Stop banner

up-pipe question(s)

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jbracing 
#1 ·
Hello everyone from a newbie to both this forum (great!) and PSD's. I
have an '01 F350, 7.3 /auto. I'm in the middle of what I thought was
replacing badly leaking doughnut gaskets at the top of the up-pipes. I
pulled the turbo and disconnected the bottom of the pipes from the manifolds, and when I went to pull out the "Y" with both pipes attached, the "Y" just lifted right off of the up-pipes! The flanges were both still in place, and the doughnut gaskets were intact. Upon
examining the pipes, it appears as though just the very tip of the pipes were inserted into the gaskets. I would have thought that the
pipes should have gone all the way through with maybe 1/4" sticking out the top. Truck has only 75K on it, and it doesn't appear that this
stuff has been replaced before. Anybody ever heard of these pipes being too short from the factory, or is there something else I'm not
thinking of? I also read on here somewhere that you can use doughnuts
for a Chevy truck, because they are thicker to get more crush. Is this
a good idea? Final question- I'm thinking of adding an EGT gauge, where does the pickup sensor for this go? If I need to drill a hole somewhere I'd like to go ahead and do it now. Sorry for the long post,
and thanks for the great forum.
John

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and WELCOME To TDS. This sight is GREAT your right! I have been a member for several years, discovered it about 5 months after purchasing my first PSD.
The location you want for the PYRO Gauge is PRE-TURBO. So one of the manifolds or up pipes is where you need to be. I drilled and tapped the passenger side manifold. (Cast iron drills quite easy. Step drill a couple times, to the proper size. Then it taps easily too) Or the clamp on you just drill one of the up pipes, as close to the manifold as you can, insert the pyro lead nad tighten the clamp. Both are satisfactory. Neither is considered "BETTER" but I now think the drilled and tapped is a "Cleaner" looking install.
Yes, the Cheby gaskets will work, however I belive I remember someone saying they dont last as long. I used FORD ones from Orileys when I did mine.
There should be a good 1.5" or so up in there I THINK. Seems I recall that much up there. I have had a couple of trucks apart in that area.
Get the new gaskets on. When you reinstall everything leave them loose on both ends, cause you will need to move everything around to get the turbo reconnected to the UP-pipe collector.

#3 ·
Looks like I'm going to have to extend those pipes. What I'm planning
on doing is cutting about 2" off the top, then welding a 3" piece
back on, for a gain of 1" in length. It looks like there is enough
depth in the "Y" to accept the extra inch. I could always cut a little
off, but I'd like to have about 1/2" of pipe extending past the
doughnut so it can compress onto the pipe and get a good seal.
Later,
John

#4 ·
Sounds like you may have the shorter up pipes from the early 99' for some reason. I'd take em to the stealer and ask to see some new pipes so you could compare the lengths. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

#5 ·
I hadn't even thought of that, because it didn't look like it
had ever been apart. My local dealer doesn't stock any diesel
parts, and the dealership I bought it from, DUVAL FORD in JACKSONVILLE, FL., refused to fix this 1 week and 250 miles after
I bought it, so lets just say I'm in no mood to pay them a visit
either. So, since the pipes are good and solid, I'll just extend
them and see how that works out.
Thanks,
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.