Wastegate solenoid - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wastegate solenoid

Hi, thanks for everyone's help with the starter issue, I was able to fix it. (On my 99 ford f350 diesel) However, have a new issue. On the way back from the coast, my service engine soon light came back on, so I took it to a mechanic and used his scanner tool (I know auto zone, knechts and oil can henry's don't have the right scanner's for this) and it spit out a code that the mechanic had never seen before, so I researched it on the computer and the code comes back as the wastegate solenoid. Does anyone know what the heck that is, how to fix it and how much the part costs? Also, until I have some more money would it hurt it to drive it like that for a little while? I think the wastegate solenoid thing has something to do with the turbo, but I am finding it is also an exhaust thing? The truck has been running a little on the crappy side from this, but not too bad, still totally driveable. ALSO: I have not taken it in on this recall thing (haven't had time) for a cam shaft positioning sensor, could that really be the problem instead?. Please help, I am totally clueless on this, you can also e-mail me your answers: ameier85@gmail.com. I am not paying someone to fix this either! Thanks!!
Hi everyone, I really appreciate all of the help with the starter, now there is a NEW PROBLEM. I was driving to the coast and the service engine soon light came on. (never has come on before in the 2+ years I have owned the truck). So, when I got back, I took it to a few places to have it hooked up to one of those scanner things. The code :P1690 comes up. According to what I researched on the net, it's the waste gate cellinoid. This is kind of scary, because I think it's part of the turbo?. Does anyone know anything about that part and what it costs? I heard it's something that is very easy to take out and put in.
F350BLONDIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Okay, sorry about the attitude, a little frusterated with the truck and it giving me problems. I got rid of the pink, I still don't get the signature thing and how I am supposed to properly post things. I REALLY APPRECIATE the suggestions and especially the photograph with the picture and diagram is awesome!! I have some new things to try, thank you. Also any idea how much any of these parts cost? THANKS and wish me luck!!
Hi everyone, I really appreciate all of the help with the starter, now there is a NEW PROBLEM. I was driving to the coast and the service engine soon light came on. (never has come on before in the 2+ years I have owned the truck). So, when I got back, I took it to a few places to have it hooked up to one of those scanner things. The code :P1690 comes up. According to what I researched on the net, it's the waste gate cellinoid. This is kind of scary, because I think it's part of the turbo?. Does anyone know anything about that part and what it costs? I heard it's something that is very easy to take out and put in.

Last edited by F350BLONDIE; 05-30-2009 at 08:58 PM.
F350BLONDIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

I 2 have a waste gate silenoid prob on my 1999f350 not sure quite how to fix it yet but i know it is a little electric unit right on the front of the turbo down towards the top of the motor it has a red and green vacume lines coming off of it im corrently working on this prob and iv been driving mine. the waste gate silenoid provides vacume to the waste gate to build boost ill keep u informed on it k
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow Okay Cool...............so No One Can Help...............alrighty Then This Forum Sucks And The Other One Where The People Helped Me Is Where I Need To Go Apparently...............and The One Idiot Wonders Why People Get Mad And Cuss.............gee, I Wonder Why...........well, If Anyone Wants To Be Cool And Help Me Out I'd Appreciate It......,.....thank You
Really ? To admonish the members with words like that how can you expect any help. Everyone is not on here all the time, I was on last nite but must have missed your post. Please stop using the larger font and the pink font, that's like shouting and angry.

Now about your Wastegate Solenoid. Not knowing what scanner you used it is possible that you got an incorrect code. To correctly read the Ford codes, you have to have one with the Ford enhanced capability.

Assumeing you have the Garret Turbo.

Yes the wastegate is on the turbo exhaust side, just follow the small Red vacuum line to the small can with a shaft coming out of it, if you can reach and pull the shaft towards yourself, then you know it's not stuck.

You can set that code by overboosting, I may be wrong but I think so. Just cancel the code and see if and when happens again.

Happy Motoring.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (31)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350BLONDIE View Post

Wow Okay Cool...............so No One Can Help...............alrighty Then This Forum Sucks And The Other One Where The People Helped Me Is Where I Need To Go Apparently...............and The One Idiot Wonders Why People Get Mad And Cuss.............gee, I Wonder Why...........well, If Anyone Wants To Be Cool And Help Me Out I'd Appreciate It......,.....thank You
One thing you gotta have on these forums is: PATIENCE. Alot of us don't get on here everyday! Sometimes a qualified reply can take a day or two. Now, on to your problem:

The P1690 DTC is generally a problem with the Waste Gate Control solenoid valve, as this is the part in the WGC system that is connected to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module: the truck's "computer"). I had the same problem at some point, and, after testing and replacing the solenoid valve, the problem cleared.

It is the small, black valve mounted on the top of the turbo "Y", right on the front/top of the engine. It has small red & green lines connected to it, and also a green-colored electrical connector. It is just an electrically operated valve (controlled by the PCM). It directs a small amount of boost pressure (NOT VACUUM!), either to the waste gate actuator (to control boost) or back to the inlet, as commanded by the PCM.

Here is a picture from my truck. Mine has been relocated a bit, but you should get the idea...

Chances are good that the small coil which opens and closes the valve has failed. You could check this with a continuity tester (ohmmeter) to see if the coil has continuity (or is "open"), by disconnecting the small green electrical plug and taking a continuity reading across the pins on the valve. There should be some resistance reading; not "open" (infinite reading) and not "shorted" (0 resistance, zero ohms).

--OR--

You could simply replace the solenoid valve.

Just un-plug the electrical connector; unhook the green and red lines (they come off together with the black rubber piece); then un-bolt the valve.

Purchase a new one from a Ford dealer (not available aftermarket, unfortunately), and reinstall it.

**NOTE: If you do choose to change it yourself: Take the old one off and take it with you to the Ford dealer. Make sure the new one is the same part as the old one. There is another part (a vacuum valve, not for this application) that has basically the same part no., but IS NOT the correct part. Make sure the new one is the same as the old one!

It may take a few drive cyles for the "Service Engine" light to go off, but it should go off on it's own. Or you could take your truck someplace and have them clear the code immediately.

If the solenoid valve doesn't get replaced right away, it's not the end of the world! The truck will operate normally without it, although the PCM will not be able to properly control the boost pressure under some conditions, which could lead to turbo surge and possibly turbo damage (most unlikely however!).

Hope that helps. Good luck...

ON EDIT: One more thing you might want to do: Remove all of the information (in PINK) from your signature! This will show up with every post you make.

The "signature" is a place for you to put information about your truck (model, engine modidications, etc.), not a place to put a post question!

2000 F350 SRW CC 4X4
AFE Stage II w/PG-7
Garrett 38R Turbo
Swamps Stage II Single-shots
Stealth Dual-HPOP
ITP Custom-modified Regulated-return Fuel System
DP-Tuner PCM & F-5 chip (Live tuned!)
Autometer Gauges (Pyro, Boost, Eng oil temp)
Non-EBPV Pedestal
AIH Delete
"T444e" Open CCV
4" Custom S/S Exhaust into 5" Dual Aussie Stacks
ZF 6-Spd "Hand-shaker"
Southbend Double-Disc clutch
...plus some other goodies...

Last edited by calico5string; 05-29-2009 at 12:44 PM.
calico5string is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350BLONDIE View Post
Yer a girl, arent you.... A young girl, likely....
Yes, its highly probable that your Waste gate controller solenoid has taken a crap. Start there. As stated, check it with a multimeter, if you even know how, for continuity. Welcome to the Diesel Stop, anyhow, Blondie. Another issue to look for is the green line and red lines. Check the rubber connection boots at each end for cracks and leaks, and check the lines themselves for cracks or other damage. It may be a really simple fix. Also, unhook the electrical connector and check to see if theres any crap stuck in it, and blow it out if there is. As stated, if you end up needing a new solenoid, be sure to cart it with you to the Stealership, and be sure to match it to the part they try to sell you.

Turn off the bold large type, fix your signature, and try to be patient with us. We are but humble Dieselheads, we have jobs and families, and we ARE here to lend you a hand. (Well, MOST of us are.)

I like you already. Yer silly.
"Blizzard" The big white bio-burning 03 7.3 4x4. 6637, straight piped stock exhaust, and a "New" secret blend of Haul a$$ing mods and upgrades. Suffice to say, its not the fastest, but it quite possibly is one of the quickest.
Sleeperstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperstroke View Post
Yer a girl, arent you.... A young girl, likely....
LOL! Like...um...you think...maybe...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperstroke View Post
I like you already. Yer silly.
I think you just like her 'cause she's a girl!!

OKAY, Back on topic: as sleeperstroke said ^^, while you've got the red and green lines unhooked, see if you can blow some air through them; make sure they're all clear.

Here's some more info on the WGC system:

You could also verify power to the WGC solenoid by checking for power on the WGC solenoid connector, between "pin 2" (in the diagram above) and ground (battery negative). You should see ~12 volts with the key "on" (engine off).

One last check (If you have access to a small hand-held vacuum pump): Disconnect the red line from the waste gate actuator and connect your vacuum pump to it (the actuator). Pull a vacuum on the actuator and see if it holds. If it does: the diaphram in the actuator is OK. If it does NOT: you need to replace the waste gate actuator; it has a leaking diaphram.

Good luck...

2000 F350 SRW CC 4X4
AFE Stage II w/PG-7
Garrett 38R Turbo
Stealth Dual-HPOP
Non-EBPV Pedestal
AIH Delete
"T444e" Open CCV
ZF 6-Spd "Hand-shaker"

Last edited by calico5string; 05-29-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
How do I get this thread back to fitting on one page with out having to scroll right to read the 2nd Half?

Some of us just take longer to learn the ropes..... and then some never learn and leave in a large hufff........
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

In the lower right corner of your screen just above the task bar time, correct it to show 100%, there is a little black down arrow click on it.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
have it fitting now I can not read it, and have no idea if I am typing this right......
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi, loved your information about the DTC codes. I have the code #P1249 on my 2001 F250 7.3 ltr. I this something I need to fix? (Or just have the code cleared out of the computer?) I am using a Hypertech tuner.
TeriTomBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriTomBoy View Post
Hi, loved your information about the DTC codes. I have the code #P1249 on my 2001 F250 7.3 ltr. I this something I need to fix? (Or just have the code cleared out of the computer?) I am using a Hypertech tuner.
If your tuner can clear the code, then go ahead and clear it. Drive the truck awhile and see if the code returns (you may or may not get a "service engine soon" light). If it comes back fairly quickly, it's a good bet the WGC solenoid is bad.

As mentioned above, it's not the end of the world if it's not fixed immediately, but it is an annoyance...

Good Luck!

2000 F350 SRW CC 4X4
AFE Stage II w/PG-7
Garrett 38R Turbo
Stealth Dual-HPOP
Non-EBPV Pedestal
AIH Delete
"T444e" Open CCV
ZF 6-Spd "Hand-shaker"
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Is there a link for a new solenoid? my friend needs one

How to get more than 8-7 Quarts Transmission FLush

Stock Truck, DTC, California, and SMOG safe EGR System Mod
SmokerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.