wastegate solenoid code - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wastegate solenoid code

i have a 99 f350 7.3 powerstroke ,i'm having a funny noise coming from the turbo wastegate (i think) if i'm driving down the road at a steady speed and rpm it makes a ffffffffffffffffff noise, but if i let off the gas or get on the gas it goes away. i had my brother run a code scan and got a p1690 code , i replaced the wastegate control solenoid and the problem is still there. it seem only to do it in the winter time . does anyone know what voltage should be going to the solenoid
johndeere01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

hope this helps...

KL1 DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P1690
  • DTC P1690 indicates that the PCM has detected a failure on the WGC circuit.
  • Possible causes:
    • short to ground
    • open in harness
    • damaged connection
    • damaged WGC solenoid
    • damaged PCM
    • blown fuse
  • Disconnect the WGC solenoid harness connector.
  • Key on, engine off.
  • Measure voltage between Pin 2 (KEY PWR) on the WGC solenoid harness connector and ground.
  • Key off.
Was voltage greater than 10.5 volts?
Yes No GO to KL2 . REPAIR open in (KEY PWR) Circuit 16, or REPLACE blown fuse. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
KL2 CHECK FOR OPEN IN CONTROL CIRCUIT
  • Install breakout box; leave PCM disconnected.
  • Measure resistance between Pin 1 on the WGC solenoid harness connector and PCM Test Pin 47.
Is resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes No GO to KL3 . REPAIR open in Circuit 1275 (W/R). RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
KL3 CHECK FOR SHORT TO GROUND
  • Measure resistance between WGC solenoid harness connector Pin 1 and ground.
Is resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No GO to KL4 . REPAIR short to ground on Circuit 1275 (W/R). RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
KL4 CHECK WGC SOLENOID
  • Measure resistance between Pin 1 and Pin 2 of WGC solenoid harness connector.
Is resistance less than 50 ohms?
Yes No REPLACE the PCM. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST. REPLACE the WGC solenoid. RESTORE vehicle. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeere01 View Post
..... if i'm driving down the road at a steady speed and rpm it makes a ffffffffffffffffff noise, but if i let off the gas or get on the gas it goes away. ...... it seem only to do it in the winter time
I'll bet it's your EBP valve making the hissing noise. You can test that theory by unplugging the air temp sensor on the air filter box and see if it still does it. If not, it's your EBP system actiing like it was designed to. It's there to get the engine warmer quicker by increasing backpressure on the exhaust. It's only active below 45F outside temp and oil temp below 167F. Once the engine warms up, the EBP system is inactive. The EBP system is also disabled (the valve opens) if you mash the go pedal.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

its 5 degrees here and i will try to unplug the ebp valve as soon as i can and get back to let yall know
johndeere01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.