Water pump replace, broke 2 bolts! HELP! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water pump replace, broke 2 bolts! HELP!

Put the new water pump on yesterday. Torque spec was 35-45 ft/lbs. I torqued all 9 bolts to 40 lbs. Test drove and one of the bottom bolts (driver side) was seeping. Rolled under the truck with the torque wrench set at 45 lbs and the bolt tightend some more. Never did hit the stop on the torque wrench with that bolt. Got up on top and started checking the other ones and broke 2 trying to retorque the bolts.

Now I am kind of in trouble because one of the two that broke is a long one (there are three lengths) and the broken off part is deep in the hole in the block. I havenít taken the pump back off yet so I donít know if the other one is proud of the machined face but the long bolt I am sure is deep in there.

Two questions:
1) What could have caused these bolts to break? The engine was hot after just test driving, could this be a factor?
2) Any suggestions as to how to deal with the broken off bolt deep in the long hole?

My last resort is to remove the broken one that should be right at the face, replace all bolts with new ones, and use RTV in the gasket area for the broken one and not have a bolt there.

Please help, I feel like someone just kicked me HARD!
99.5 F250 Crew SB 7.3L PSD Auto, 3.73LS rear, 285/75R16's, JNB in-tank and pre-filter mod(much quieter!). Harpooned (much faster) 203* T-stat. Severe Duty AIS. 3 gauge set: tranny temp, EGT, Boost. DIS Bully Dog 4 position flip-chip: stock, 50hp, 75hp, 110hp. High desert of New Mexico at 6500 feet.
r2j2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Water pump replace, broke 2 bolts! HELP!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am sure is deep in there.
</div></div>

I would think it won't be too deep.. seeing as how it most likely cant break after the threads start..

Take the pump back off & let us know what you find....
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: r2j2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Put the new water pump on yesterday. Torque spec was 35-45 ft/lbs. I torqued all 9 bolts to 40 lbs. Test drove and one of the bottom bolts (driver side) was seeping. Rolled under the truck with the torque wrench set at 45 lbs and the bolt tightend some more. Never did hit the stop on the torque wrench with that bolt. Got up on top and started checking the other ones and broke 2 trying to retorque the bolts.

Now I am kind of in trouble because one of the two that broke is a long one (there are three lengths) and the broken off part is deep in the hole in the block. I havenít taken the pump back off yet so I donít know if the other one is proud of the machined face but the long bolt I am sure is deep in there.

Two questions:
1) What could have caused these bolts to break? The engine was hot after just test driving, could this be a factor?
2) Any suggestions as to how to deal with the broken off bolt deep in the long hole?

My last resort is to remove the broken one that should be right at the face, replace all bolts with new ones, and use RTV in the gasket area for the broken one and not have a bolt there.

Please help, I feel like someone just kicked me HARD!
</div></div>Where did you read the procedure to torque those bolts to 35-45 ftlbs. That is way to high. For a while the article on this site recommended that torque but after vocal criticism it was finally corrected to 15-22 ftlbs. Look here.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2Ķ Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203ļ T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

The torque spec came right out of the Ford service manual! Now I can't count on what I read in there? Great!

I still don't understand why these bolts would break at 45 ft/lbs. This is not really all that much torque.
99.5 F250 Crew SB 7.3L PSD Auto, 3.73LS rear, 285/75R16's, JNB in-tank and pre-filter mod(much quieter!). Harpooned (much faster) 203* T-stat. Severe Duty AIS. 3 gauge set: tranny temp, EGT, Boost. DIS Bully Dog 4 position flip-chip: stock, 50hp, 75hp, 110hp. High desert of New Mexico at 6500 feet.
r2j2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

Look at the size of the bolts.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2Ķ Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203ļ T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can probably get them out since you just put them in and they won't be "seized" in the hole.
A trick I use in my machine shop is to get a left handed drill bit,center punch the broken part before you start to drill.

When you start drilling the bit will grab(most of the time) and spin the broken part right out.
Now I know that it's gonna be tight quarters in there so be very careful! Use some PB or LiquidWrench too.
If you drill off-center, you're screwed!

Also again since they aren't seized, a regular drill bit and "easy-out" will most likely work too.

Again, take your time! I have guys call me all the time with bolts broken off in stuff.
The first question I ask is "have YOU tried to get it out yourself"? If they have it's usually difficult to fix their screw-up!

Pro GOD, Pro Guns, Pro Life Important Notice, Pro Life changes when someone breaks in.
whitjo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

An Easy-Out would be a good start. An angled drill works best for drilling in the tight space. You'll get her out. Retorque 15-20 ftlbs.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Probably not the reply you are looking for but...
Were you using a clicker or a pointer torque wrench?
A pointer torque wrench would have displayed a flattening, and even a slight drop in torque before it broke.
This gives you time to abort and get the stretched fastener out.
I only use a clicker for non-critical torques like lug nuts, etc.
Take it slow from here.
99 F450 PSD FWD 4:88 final drive Detroit Locker on the rear 16' aluminum bed Ezyloader 16' articulated hive crane. Otherwise BONE STOCK!
miteyvictor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: r2j2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The torque spec came right out of the Ford service manual! Now I can't count on what I read in there? Great!

I still don't understand why these bolts would break at 45 ft/lbs. This is not really all that much torque. </div></div>That's not the only error in the '99 shop manual. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] Look at the bolt size to torque chart at the end of the engine specs to compare with what they tell you for the WP bolts. Someone screwed up on that publication.

It's been talked about a number of times here on TDS. You aren't the first one who's snapped WP bolts by following the erroneous torques in the Ford Manual. But I know that's not much consolation.

The tip on using a left hand twist drill bit is a good one. The stubs usually aren't tight in the holes. I've actually spun out broken bolts with a pin punch and hammer till I could grab them with pliers, but that won't help you with the one's that are in deep holes.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.