WHAT IS THE BEST REGULAR DIESEL OIL FOR A 7.3 POWERSTROKE - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WHAT IS THE BEST REGULAR DIESEL OIL FOR A 7.3 POWERSTROKE

I have been told the rotella 15-40 oil as to much air in it. not enough anti foam. what is the best regular oil with anti foam?
TJTOM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: WHAT IS THE BEST REGULAR DIESEL OIL FOR A 7.3 POWERSTROKE

Pick what you like and use it, this topic can start you have know idea how many wars and use up all available bandwidth. Last weeks argument over this same question almost broke the internet. It did in fact cause a few fires in remote sections of the United States. Bottom line is, if it is rated by the API for use in our trucks, it is good to go.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
arisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

International say's Chervon Delo is best for the Powerstroke, but seems like no 2 motors are the same when it comes to these suckers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
2001 white F250 sc xlt psd," DI regulator kit, DI BIG fuel system, DI Mine-Me injectors, DI ATS BB Turbo, DP Chip,DI Valve Pressure Release,DI-adjustable IDM mod ",Terminator 2 HPOP R-IPR, APR studs, 910 valve springs, BTS Trans&Converter,6.0 Intercooler, AFE Stage 2 with zoodad,Power Elbow, Bully Dog full 4" exhaust with 5" tip,Fluidampr, hx mod,203t-stat, CCV mod, Fumoto Oil Valve,Cool-Max Trans Cooler, Autometer Phantom Gauges,Bilstein shocks, Rancho5406 stablizer, Edge 4" lift kit, Rear RoadMasters active suspension, EGR Slotted & Crossed Drilled Rotors with Carbon/Kelvar brake pads, Welds Cheyenne 8s, Roll & Lock bed cover, Sylvania SilverStar 9007& 9005s, Chrome Billet Grill, 2003 Clear Headlights, APC Clear corners, APC Euro rear lens, APC gas & brake peddles, Acetone Badges, Chrome Door & Tail Gate Handles, Oakley Seat Covers, Viper alarm, Cyclops Fuel Cut-off alarm.

[color:"blue"]MY TRUCK[/color]
joediesle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
Bottom line is, if it is rated by the API for use in our trucks, it is good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Agree. Any major brand of motor oil that meets API CH-4/SJ or later and SAE 15w40 is good stuff in a 7.3L PSD.

But pick one brand and stick with it. The various brands have slightly-different additive packages, so even though none are "better" than the other, they are chemically different. When you change oil, you'll be mixing one quart of the old oil with 15 quarts of the new oil, and if they are different brands then you could get a slight chemical curse word.

The most popular brands are Shell Rotella T and Chevron DELO 400, with Mobil Delvac 1300 Super a distant third. But Texaco, Exxon, Phillips 66, Pennzoil, Wal-Mart, Diamond Shamrock (under their new name Valeo or some such), Union 76, Fina (American Petrofina under their new name of Alon?) and several other major brands with API CH-4/SJ or later are just as good if you don't mind hunting for them.

I use Rotella T because it's available everywhere, so I don't have to worry about not finding my brand when on the road and needing an oil change.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
By SmokeyWren:

When you change oil, you'll be mixing one quart of the old oil with 15 quarts of the new oil, and if they are different brands then you could get a slight chemical curse word.

[/ QUOTE ]

If such asinine statements are going to be made, they need to be explained.

So Smokey, exactly what kind of a "chemical cluster ...." will we get by adding 15 quarts of new brand X oil to the one quart of used brand Y oil that remains in the engine? And exactly what will happen? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

TJTOM, just use CH-4/SJ oil. It's what the manufacturer recommends, and they all have the anti-foam properties you're looking for.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

Here we go again

2001 CC LWB Superduty 4" lift,35" BFG M/T,Bilstiens,Tymar,SuperDuty Air Bags,4" Exh,CCV mod,DP Tuner 6 position chip,Snows Water/Meth Injection,BD exh brake,BD Torqloc,Autometer Phantoms in pillar,Wicked Wheel,PML trans/diff covers,fumoto valve,Suncoast trans/triple lock,12,000# Warn,Alpine,Sony,))XM((,dual Optimas on passenger tray...(spare CPS in the glovebox)
Intercooler wrap removed/painted

My Pics
genesiscom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

I use Chevron Delo. So you should use it too.
MBRP 4" TB, Foil Delete
Autometers
35" BFG AT
uknowerDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Been running 15-40 Motorcraft since the day I bought the truck new. 135,000 miles later and still going strong. I was going to switch to Shell Rotella T but heard horror stories about leaks and more oil use developing when switching brands after long term use of a regular oil. Just my .02

Daryl
Early 1999 F250 Super Duty CC,PSD,4wd,Dk Toreador Red,Med Prarie Tan Int,Nitto Terra Grapplers 315/75/16's,3:73 Gears,Automatic,X-Springs,Telescoping Mirrors,Off Road Pkg,Sonnax Valve And Tricumulator Springs,Dynomax 4"
stainless turbo back exhaust,Hypermax 330 Chip, XLE5, 05 front end, Severe duty air cleaner. EBV-less turbo pedistal and turbo outlet. ((XM))myfi hard wired to factory 6 disc stereo.

2004 E-350 Chateau 6.0 Auto (First one on TheDieselStop.com) Gold ash metallic, Medium pebble leather interior, 3:55 LS,Dual alts, Trailer tow mirrors. http://community.webshots.com/user/snow4me
SNOW4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rotella 15-40 non-synthetic for me.
2007 Honda 500 Rubicon
johndeere5220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

[ QUOTE ]
Pick what you like and use it, this topic can start you have know idea how many wars and use up all available bandwidth. Last weeks argument over this same question almost broke the internet. It did in fact cause a few fires in remote sections of the United States. Bottom line is, if it is rated by the API for use in our trucks, it is good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

that was very creative i like the part about the bandwith, and breaking the internet. and the fires.

but my opinion is shell rotella T 15w-40 i have been/am using it in all of my trucks.

kevin
H O N D A - How Odd No Damn Acceleration
radeon1314 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 03:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

At least it ain't me, for a change....
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 07:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I have used Rotella since mile one but heard about all the Delo hype and tried it. My Blackstone report is almost exactly the same between the two. I agree use what you want and stick with it.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2007, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

The dealership where I get mine changed has switched me to Ford Motorcraft 10W30 diesel oil and I find that the truck runs a little smoother and quieter.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I was using Rotella in the Van and had good UOA and performance with it. Went to buy oil to do the oil change in the new truck and Advance Auto Parts by us has the Motorcraft 15w40 diesel oil in 5 (That's right FIVE)quart jugs for 9.98. Very convenient IMO, Just need three jugs and a FL1995 filter, out the door for 40 bucks plus tax. A gallon of Rotella was the same price, You need four jugs and then you have that gallon jug with only quart or so of oil in it kicking around.

So for now I'm using the MC 15w40, and besides the jug even says its designed specifically for use in the Powerstroke and has the cool Powerstroke logo right on it so it must be the best.

Anybody know who makes the Motorcraft Oil?

ddog

Other Fords Gone:
1999.5 F250 CC SB XLT 4WD, 7.3 PSD, First F,2nd Diesel, nice but still liked the van better.
2003 E-350 Super Duty Chateau (Club Wagon)7.3PSD, 3rd Club Wagon,First diesel, Never should have sold it....
1996 Club Wagon Chateau Heavy Duty 7.5L (460) V8 Pass anything but a gas station, Traded it in on the '03
1992 E150 Club Wagon Chateau 5.0L (302) V8
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Rotella 15-40 non-synthetic for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto and 269500 miles I must be doing something right... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
LATE 1999 F350 CC Dually 2WD,4" stainless Magnaflow.Highly Modified GT38 Turbo
DP-Tuner 4 Pos. chip, PS2000,4" intake with fleetguard filter ,Suncoast Tranny With Triple disc T/C, Lunar Guages
12 Speaker 770 watt Fosgate,Sony and Infinity system with (((XM))), Stull Billet,BFG's and acetoned badges.ART rotors, More to come. 8100lbs.
1/4 mile 14.80 @ 94.24 MPH
2000 Limited 4X4 Excursion Toreador red and tan,(((XM)))Rancho RSX's, Hellwig anti sway,V codes on front, skyjacker dual stabilizer, Edge Evolution AFE with PG7, Eddins House of Diesel 4" Exhaust with Polished 5" tip, Suncoast tranny with triple lock, 15.1" DVD monitor,now rolling Akuza Bounce 20's w/ Toyo 305/55/20 AT's

OUR TRUCKS and new ****350Z ****
EXCAV8TER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.