What does the exhaust backpressure sensor do? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What does the exhaust backpressure sensor do?

Is it used only to open & close the EBPV, or does the truck computer use it for other things as well?
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Re: What does the exhaust backpressure sensor do?

If it senses exhaust backpressure that is too high, it will defuel the engine.
Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
If it senses exhaust backpressure that is too high, it will defuel the engine.

[/ QUOTE ]I hear the term defuel alot , what is it?...
Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 08:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
Send a message via ICQ to Powerstrokedogg

it means the computer realizes theres something occouring that may cause engine damage and it levels off your power, slows the rate of fuel to the engine

on a gas engine this is done by opening the EGR or causing missfires to hold the engine back. on a gasser if you hold the fuel back you will cause it to run lean and that may cause damage to the engine
2001 F-350 7.3L 4X4(ESOF) CC LWB 4R100 4X4, WIX 46637 open element air filter, Wicked Wheel, walker BTM, 203* Tstat, IC tube foil removed, coolant filter, AIH removed, 08 aluminum finned rear end cover, DP tuner 80econ 140smoke high idle,Phantom gauges, ATS transmission,ATS deep trans pan, 5 star torque converter, V10 trans cooler, 4" MRBP SS downpipe, twin 4" stacks

1989 F-250 6.9L IDI E4OD 500,000+ miles(sold)
1982 VW rabbit 1.6L diesel
2007 Arctic cat 700 diesel ATV
1975 W900 Kenworth 500 Cummins
1997 Ford school bus 5.9 cummins
Powerstrokedogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

defueling means that the computer cuts back on how much fuel is injected. The way I understand it, it acts as a sort of safety device to keep from possibly damaging the motor.

At close to WOT, I'm seeing EBP's of around 50psi. The MAP reports about 30 PSI. The CEL light comes on & the code that is there is for overboost (I discovered my pop-off valve was bad, so right now I've got nothing to fool the MAP). I don't see anything related to EBP (using AE). I'm wondering why there is a 20# difference between the two, and why the EBP is so high. I've spent some time doing searches, and I see I can clean the EBP tube & possibly replace the sensor, but would this help (it doesn't seem like the tube is clogged if the sensor is seeing 50 PSI)? I'll check MAP, EBP & Baro tonight with KOEO, but if anyone else could give me ideas on what to look at, I'd appreciate it. BTW, I don't have an EBPV anymore
Old 01-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
defueling means that the computer cuts back on how much fuel is injected. The way I understand it, it acts as a sort of safety device to keep from possibly damaging the motor.

At close to WOT, I'm seeing EBP's of around 50psi. The MAP reports about 30 PSI. The CEL light comes on & the code that is there is for overboost (I discovered my pop-off valve was bad, so right now I've got nothing to fool the MAP). I don't see anything related to EBP (using AE). I'm wondering why there is a 20# difference between the two, and why the EBP is so high. I've spent some time doing searches, and I see I can clean the EBP tube & possibly replace the sensor, but would this help (it doesn't seem like the tube is clogged if the sensor is seeing 50 PSI)? I'll check MAP, EBP & Baro tonight with KOEO, but if anyone else could give me ideas on what to look at, I'd appreciate it. BTW, I don't have an EBPV anymore

[/ QUOTE ]I thought that was because the HPOP got behind a bit...Intermittent high pressure oil leakage.
This condition usually occurs when the vehicle is cold and the oil is thick. When performing a hard acceleration, the truck suddenly looses power, the check engine light comes on, and once returning to idle the engine runs rough and won't accelerate. Cycling the key may correct the concern, clearing the code from the PCM will correct it temporarily. If you can monitor data stream, at idle the ICP pressure normally is 400-700 PSI and the IPR duty cycle is 9-14%; at cruise, ICP is 700-1200 pSI and IPR is 15-20%; under normal acceleration, ICP is 1200-2000 PSI and IPR is 20-30%; and under WOT accel, the ICP is up to 3600 PSI and the IPR is 35% or higher. When the above symptom occurs, typically the idle ICP reading will be normal, but the IPR duty cycle will be high--over 20% and up to the max 50%. A "blow-by" condition has occured somewhere in the HP oil circuit. If you can get the problem to re-occur with some frequency, the most probable cause is worn or deteriorated injector or IPR o-rings. If the problem is intermittent, it could be a sticking IPR valve. Replace the injector o-rings with the latest-level kits--F8TZ-9229-AA. When replacing the IPR, make sure you get the correct part for the build date/serial number of your engine.

Special thanks to RacerX USA

action4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Our exhaust backpressure sensor eliminator and Overboost eliminator will solve both of these issues, meaning the EBPS code and the Overboost condition.

the EBPS is used for cold weather package operation...as well as an emissions control if my memory serves me right. our sensor dongle takes the sensor out of the loop and renders the PCM happy all the time.
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
2007 ML320CDI
Soon To Be 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

http://www.spdiesel.com
"Can your Resistor do this?"
spdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)

[ QUOTE ]
At close to WOT, I'm seeing EBP's of around 50psi. The MAP reports about 30 PSI. The CEL light comes on & the code that is there is for overboost (I discovered my pop-off valve was bad, so right now I've got nothing to fool the MAP). I don't see anything related to EBP (using AE). I'm wondering why there is a 20# difference between the two, and why the EBP is so high.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MAP sensor measures pressure between the compressor wheel of the turbo and the intake of the engine, and the EBP measures pressure between the exhaust of the engine and the turbine wheel (exhaust side) of the turbo.

So that means that there really isn't much correlation between the two numbers. They're measuring two different parameters, each loosely related to the fuel delivery and engine load.

The EBP system works like this:

With cold temps, the PCM increases the idle speed, and tells the EBPV to close to put a little load on the engine and increase the exhaust temp. The sensor is there to tell the PCM when the exhaust pressure it asked for has been reached (this is called feedback control), so the PCM can ease the valve open and maintain that pressure. Once the engine oil temp reaches a certain value, indicating that the engine is fully warmed up, the PCM opens the EBPV.

I've never seen anything relating to defueling controlled by the EBP sensor in the Service Manual. It may do that, but the manual doesn't say anything about it that I can find.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

One of our diagnostic CDs clued us into that a few years ago and hence the exhaust backpressure sensor eliminator...we also saw this when testing the old Stage II product with a marginal backpressure sensor on the 99 that was one of the test beds...it's for real
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
2007 ML320CDI
Soon To Be 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

http://www.spdiesel.com
"Can your Resistor do this?"
spdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.