The Diesel Stop banner

WHAT IS A IPR, WHAT DOES IT DO FOR THE HPOP, REBUILD KIT...

15K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  planedoc11 
#1 ·
What is the ipr, internal pressure regulator????? just a guess. What does it do for the hpop, how often do they go out. Should i try rebuilding mine before i replace my hpop.

Cause here is my problem...

When i first start my truck up and let it warm up for like three minutes it will run stong as an ox, more then enough power for me. But that will only last for like ten minutes. Then it runs like im towing a trailer. Major loss of power. IT REALLY SEEMS LIKE IT IS GASPING FOR AIR OR FUEL OR SOMETHING, and my air filter is clean. So i though i would go towards the oil/fuel side of thing, with 145,000 mile i figure a hydrailic pump (HPOP) would be going out. So i have been told to replace my ipr, so ill try rebuilding it first.

I have raced friends and they have asked me why i smoked them at first and then tied then on another race. And it because when i first raced them i just started my truck.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Thank you
Dylan Carlson
aka
NOSERVICE4YOU

See less See more
#6 ·
That's odd, I just read it a couple days ago and now it's gone.

Sorry.

Found this on another site.

The Procedure:

I removed the plug on the top of the high pressure oil reservoir and took my tried and true turkey baster (equipped with a rubber fuel line and then steel brake line attached to the rubber fuel line so I could get through the small hole and go to the bottom of the reservoir to extract ALL the oil), and proceded to extract all the oil out of the reservoir which took some time, but ended up getting a full quart out of it. Draining this HP reservoir really saved a big time mess!!

Next I drained my fuel filter bowl and loosened the lid to ensure all the diesel would be able to drain, then removed my intake "Y", stuffed shop rags in the ports and proceeded to loosen all the hoses and wiring harness associated with the fuel filter housing/IPR. I then removed the two bolts holding the fuel filter housing on the engine and lifted the housing up and out of the valley of the engine.

I then removed the cheap nut holding the IPR solenoid on and slid the solenoid off. I then took a deep socket and slowly removed the IPR.

I then cleaned around where the IPR was with a lint free cloth to ensure the new o-ring wouldn't be damaged by dirt/trash upon seating. I then coated the NEW IPR o-rings etc. with new engine oil and replaced it back into it's respected provision. I then reinstalled the IPR solenoid and tightened the cheap nut ensuring I had the wiring harness connector turned in the correct direction.

I then took carburetor cleaner and sprayed the valley where a little diesel and a small amount of oil had spilled. I cleaned all the valley and then reinstalled everything previously removed.

I then took a small funnel and poured exactly 1 quart of new oil back into the HP oil reservoir and re-installed the plug.

After the engine turned over a few more times than usual it cranked. After warming the engine up, I then proceeded to the highway where I ran locked out of OD for about 5 miles at 3200 rpm's to eliminate all the air from the HP oil system.

After returning home I immediately noticed the idle was more stable and after putting 100 or so miles on since the change, I can definately tell a difference in the performance and idle characteristics of the engine. I used to have what I call a missing cylinder flutter sound and that has for the most part been eliminated so far. The truck also runs somewhat easier going down the highway and the cranking time which was actually normal before, is very very quick now, even on intial startup in the morning. I was surprised by this because the truck actually cranked normally with no long cranking time hot or cold. I'm also interested to see if fuel mileage will fluctuate some and I'll post when and if it does indeed increase.

I wanted to post this information for some of you that are experiencing some of the characteristics my truck has been having. I'm also going to replace the ICP when I find a good price on one, but I do my truck as I do my race car and change ONE thing at a time so I'll know what the part actually did and IF it actually changed anything. Then I can go to the next step and change something else.

Hope this information is beneficial to some of you and don't hesitate to post further discussion on the subject as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.