What rear Diff. do I have in my early 99 F350 dually??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What rear Diff. do I have in my early 99 F350 dually???

Hi
I have a early 99 F350,Crew cab,Dually,4X4. What rear do I have a Danna#? The axle code is F2. This tells me it is a 4:10 limited slip but what kind?? Also I want to service it so what viscocity is the fluid?
Thanks John
PULLNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Re: What rear Diff. do I have in my early 99 F350 dually???

Almost all 99-up F-350 DRWs with diesel engine came with a Dana 80 rear end. For the Dana 80, Ford now says you want to use synthetic 75w140 gear lube.

Click here to see the shape of the diff cover on a Dana 80 Rear end.

The Ford spec books all say the early '99 F-350 DRW had a Ford 10.5" rear axle. I suspect that's because that's the standard rear end with the standard engine (5.4L). But just in case, click here to see the shape of the Ford 10.5" diff cover.

Notice the Dana 80 and Ford 10.5" rear axle punkins don't look much alike. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Smokey
It is a Dana 80. If I use the synthetic fluid do I still need to add the friction additive from Ford?
Thanks again John
PULLNIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Had my 2000 F350 RWD in for a rear pinion seal replacement Dana 80 differenial at Ford dealership thats what they put in 75/140, questioned them on it and they said thats the new memo from Ford .
Old 02-24-2007, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
If I use the synthetic fluid do I still need to add the friction additive from Ford?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. Probably. But maybe not. Some say that if you buy Royal Purple brand synthetic 75w140, you won't need to add any friction modifier. Some say the same thing about Amsoil. But others disagree.

Mine has the Motorcraft brand, and it definitely needs the friction modifier. And I'm pretty sure the Mobil 1 does too.

When you buy friction modifier, hold your nose and buy the MOPAR brand from the Dodge Boys. That's the good stuff. Even Ford told their techs to use the MOPAR brand of friction modifier a few years ago when Ford was having quality control problems with their own brand. Ford probably has their problems fixed by now, but I'd still buy the MOPAR brand of friction modifier. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

But if it were me, regardless of brand of lube and friction modifier, I'd do it the hard way to be certain. Add the lube but without friction modifier, but leave room to add a few ounces of friction modifier. Then do the figure 8 test. If you get the bump-bump-clatter-clatter-chatter from the rear end (caused by one tire dragging instead of rolling around a sharp turn) then add an ounce of friction modifier, drive about 5 miles to mix it up good, then do the figure 8 test again. Repete as necessary until the clatter goes away. Some say you probably need about 4 ounces. Others say up to 8 ounces. But too much makes your limited slip worthless, so I wouldn't add more than one ounce at a time.

After you are satisfied with the lack of chatter, then top off the diff with lube and button it up.

The figure 8 test is to find a big paved parking lot that has good traction - not covered with sand, gravel, snow, ice, or even wet with water. Then roll down the windows and drive in a figure 8 pattern, listening and feeling for the clatter.

Ford says the diff cover gasket is silicon seal (Permatex high-temp RTV gasket maker = click here). Note that Permatex makes several different similar products, so get the right one - the one shown in that link. Black, high temp.

To remove the cover, remove all but one bolt at the top. Loosen that bolt but don't remove it. Then use a putty knife or flat-blade screw driver and break the seal at the bottom, then pull the cover off enough that the old lube will drain into your big drain pan.

To reinstall the diff cover, here's the words from the workshop manual:

[ QUOTE ]

CAUTION: Clean both flat surfaces (differential housing and differential cover) with a suitable solvent to remove all traces of oil film.

CAUTION: Install the differential cover within 15 minutes of applying the silicone or it will be necessary to remove and reapply new sealant.

Apply a continuous bead of sealant of the specified thickness to the differential housing cover. (The specified thickness is about 1/8th to 3/16th inch bead. The photo of the Ford 10.5" diff cover in my earlier post shows how to place the bead of RTV on the diff cover.)

Place 2 bolts into the differential housing cover at the 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions. Install the differential housing cover on the differential housing. (In other words, don't mess up your nice even bead of RTV when you stick the diff cover onto the diff.)
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

Install the remaining bolts. Tighten the bolts alternately and evenly. Tighten to 47 Nm (35 lb-ft).

Allow a 1 hour cure time before filling the axle with the correct amount of specified lubricant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note: Some old fogies with grease under their fingernails insist that you use a real gasket instead of that newfangled RTV stuff that the Ford techs use. You can buy a diff cover gasket for your Dana 80 at most auto parts stores.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.