The Diesel Stop banner

What's your mileage on your 7.3L ? and with what repairs???

131K views 456 replies 311 participants last post by  Googs 
#1 ·
I was curious how long are trucks are lasting and what repairs we have done through the yrs.....

Well Heres mine
1999 2wd ext cab
175,000 new clutch, waterpump,a/c,cam sensor,ball joints and one injector....

#3 ·
Re: Whats your mileage on your 7.3 ? and with what repairs???

210K, starter, averaged 15.3 mpg

#6 ·

this is gonna be a long thread you jus started.... 133k when i first got it at 118 the brakes and brake brackets, but other than that ball joints, water pump, starter, hubs, suspension

#7 ·

82K....none at all. Normal oil, filter, brake and fluid changes, replaced front rotors with PowerSlots and changed calipers when I did (just because). Not even a CPS change yet.

Larry

#8 ·

62k miles, and mpg is just under 16.

Repairs include the following that were done under waranty.

* Throwout bearing
* O ring on HP line
* Injector drive module & PCM (was replaced when in the shop for the HP o-ring)
* CPS
* Rattle at drivers side defrost vent

Non warranty repairs include:

* Vehicle Security Module replaced.
* Passenger side axle seal on front diff...this one kind of made me mad...
* POS LSD replaced with an Eaton Posi...I am not sure I would consider this a "problem" as most people seem to have a poor experience with the factory LSD, and I was looking for an excuse to buy something anyway...as long as I was having the front axle worked on (see above issue).
* A couple months back, I noticed that my "clutch pedal position switch" was bad, and replaced it myself.

Other than that, I have had no problems. Even now, the truck seems "tight", and I do not have any squeaks and rattles. Overall, I am very pleased with this vehicle!!

#9 ·

230,000 miles. CPS, alternator, clutch, normal fluids, filters and tires. Plus one electrical gremlin that turned out to be a shorted wire.

#254 ·
230,000 miles. CPS, alternator, clutch, normal fluids, filters and tires. Plus one electrical gremlin that turned out to be a shorted wire.
I guess time flies when you're having fun. I'm around 384,000 miles now. Lot's more oil changes. Finally got around to ball joints, carrier bearing and stuff like that. I've been reading about the new 6.7's and how an HPFP (fuel pump) failure ends up costing around $10,000 to repair. When my fuel pump died, it cost me around $115.00. Seems like progress is going in the wrong direction. Makes it hard to let go of these motors.

#10 ·

172K...check my signature for repairs.

BigDogMK

#11 ·

103,312 miles

55,600 mi. Tires
59,600 mi. Two U Joints
64,600 mi. Batteries
87,000 mi. Transmission and TC
87,600 mi. Ball Joints
88,800 mi. CPS
90,500 mi. Water Pump and Hoses.
95,200 mi. Shocks
98,760 mi. Up Pipes

Not to mention the 4" Exhaust, AIS Filter and tuner.

#12 ·

116,000.miles.CPS,tranny,balljoints,turbo,radiator,batteries,carrier bearing,sway bar end links,axle shaft u-joints.

#13 ·

That reminds me. Don't wait until you have over 100,000 on your odometer before you change your shocks. When your truck never gives you problems and the shocks wear out gradually over time you tend to overlook them. After I changed my shocks the first time I spent the next three weeks kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

#15 ·

Passenger side seat belt buckle (warranty recall),
ball joints,
front rotors,
all brake pads,
caliper pins greased,
steering drag link (ball stud went bad),
sway bar link (passenger side),
Steeltexes (at 60K,with Revos... should have gotten 10K more, ball joints took the fronts out),
assorted bulbs,
plus the usual oil/filters/etc..

I have Bilsteins in the shipping box (for a year!) but not enough time to install them. The steering stabilizer is toast too from the extent of steering wheel movement going through pot holes (lots and lots of potholes, which is what wore out some of the parts above).

#16 ·

With just over 100K miles... Oil down the back of the motor, ball joints,water pump,cps,steering stabilizer twice,shocks, tires,rusty oil pan (POR 15 Fix),clutch,squeaky front springs and batteries. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif I am also about to tear into the transmission that may have been damaged during the clutch replacement project. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
This is similar for too many PSD owners,and way more than any other Ford I have ever owned, including a Bronco and F250 I really rode hard and put away wet!
And yet, I still smile ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Mileage is approx. 25 mpg empty on highway and in the mid to high teens pulling the 5'r on the flat....

#17 ·

160k 17mpg

brakes
oil
tires
t-stat seal
alternator

i think that is about it.

kevin

#18 ·

Brakes
one callipar
Oil
tires
ball joints

Just normal stuff...

#19 ·

I've got 82K on mine and it's been in the shop once at around 19K for the turbo pedestal o-ring leak. I just did brake pads and rotors about 2K ago. Other than that, no repairs, just normal maintenece...

#20 ·

Just turned 54K on my 2002 7.3 CC SWB. Low mileage due to my retirement from a back injury. Truck just sits in the driveway for the last three years.

Repairs:

TSB/Recall:
1. 20K - Adjustable pedal assy replaced by Ford.

Under Warranty:
1. 24K - 6 CD Changer - eject stopped working
2. 24K - Front Driver & Passenger lower window seals - reseated
3. 24K - Trip Computer - little flip down doors broke
4. 32K - Left Rear Tailight assembly - short due to water penetration, seal torn.
5. 33K - Front axle shaft - needed to be removed and greased. Ford should have put a zerc on it!

No Warranty:
1. 42K - SteelTex tires replaced with BFG's - Ford Tech overpressurized right rear SteelTex, caused a blister in the sidewall. SteelTex's would have gone at least another 15K. Drew Ford pro-rated the tires for wear, and then tossed in one free tire cause of their mistake, and did all mounting/balancing for free. Oh, the price per tire was THEIR cost and they paid the taxes too!
2. 42K - E-Brake pedal release rubber bumper stop that mates to the Brake light switch. Took me a while to figure it out, but my Ford Tech kept helping til I got it. Thanks Drew Ford!

Needs Repair/Replacement:

1. Shocks
2. Steering Stablizer
3. Brake pads - rotors are still good to go.

Maintenance done:

fluids - oil every 3K, others as required by Ford (Tranny, Diff's, Coolant)

This truck has been awesome! Of course it has never been beaten and put away wet, and has only towed a handful of times. Biggest tow yet - Bobcat with 4 ton dump trailer. Oh yeah, and a broken down Chevy Duramax with trailer in tow!

#21 ·

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeprobe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just turned 54K on my 2002 7.3 CC SWB. Low mileage due to my retirement from a back injury. Truck just sits in the driveway for the last three years.</div></div> Wanna trade??

#22 ·

Oh yea and my mpg 16 most all of the time!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

#23 ·

Purchased at 114,000. Now 120,000. Since I have had it:

Starter, CPS, Fuel filter element, oil change.

#214 ·
Purchased at 114,000. Now 120,000. Since I have had it:

Starter, CPS, Fuel filter element, oil change.

Update

Now have 150,000 miles. Add 2 batteries, tires, brakes. I have a set of Michelin XPS M/S and Bilstein shocks and steering damper ready to install.

#24 ·

281k on the '99. Ball joints, tie rods, lockout hubs, one front hub assy, water pump, tranny rebuild (@265k), GPR, glow plugs, fuel sending unit (got stuck), CPS, starter, fuel shutoff orings, other than that just routine brakes, shocks, etc.

90k on the '02. Just the CPS since I bought it in Jan.

#25 ·

tranny
auto door locks
tranny cooler
all brakes and roters

auto hubs
CPS x 2,now have new gray one
both front hubs
all seals in front axel
batterys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.