What is it? and turbo question. A little long, but needed explination. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is it? and turbo question. A little long, but needed explination.

Well, last week my truck went down with no power and smoking everywhere. Got a few responses, but no concrete conclusions. I called Justin and Jody and got some very good answers and conclusions. With Jody's valuable experience and knowledge I ordered new injectors and Infinity programmer. With that I began to tear her down while I waited for shipment, and I discovered several other things that have give me pause. I found the back of the engine was covered in soot, not a localized area all over the turbo, firewall, exhaust brake, and around the areas where the clamp connections were. I have been getting the noise of the leaking doughnut so I got new up-pipes. My up-pipes were very bad, I unbolted them from the manifolds and both fell out. In order to get to the plenum for the up-pipe I decided to pull the turbo and clean it up. This proved to be a difficult task because I have the Banks exhaust brake which is very large and was impossible to get to the bolts to separate it from the turbo. While doing this I found a couple turbo housing bolts just laying in the valley pan. Loosened the two bolts to remove turbo, and found the exhaust housing was loose, those bolts I found were the ones that held the housing on. All four had fallen out, only thing holding them together was the clamp at the down pipe and turbo bolts. Question is, would this have hurt anything? The shaft seems to spin okay but the race inside the housing shows signs of wear. Photo's below. Also, I found another copper type bolt in the valley pan and hoped someone on here could let me know what it is and where does it go?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170418_182903.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	108257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170418_182824.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	108265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170418_182718.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	108273  

02 F350 SRW Banks Power pack, air brake
04 F250 Lariat STOLEN
02 Excursion Limited 7.3 stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM

Garage
the bolt looks like the bolts from a gpr relay. as for the other things i have no idea

2001 PSD 7.3 4x4, auto, crew cab, TS6, HPX oil crossover, K&N intake, 4" down pipe, 5" exhaust 8" angle cut stack. 3 gauge pillar pod with glow shift 7 color gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans temp.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

If you didn't chew up a compressor wheel, then the loose bolts didn't damage the turbo. They look ok. Rebuild it while you've got it out anyway. What up pipes did you get? Bellowed? Hopefully not a set of the originals.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I did get the bellowed pipes. The turbo has the Banks wheel and Big Brake. All I'm gonna do is take out the shaft on the EBP and plug the hole so it doesn't leak.

04 F250 Lariat STOLEN
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:35 AM

My Photos: (8)
It is common for the bolts holding turbo together to get loose and or fall out. It depends on the year They make a locking type of bolt for when you put it back together.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:44 AM

Ford sells the updated bolts that don't rattle out.

They are a little pricey but work well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Garage
the bolt is from one of the relay contacts. I know because back when my glow plug relay went out i jumped the terminals and one of the contacts fell out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5_7.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	108345  

2001 PSD 7.3 4x4, auto, crew cab, TS6, HPX oil crossover, K&N intake, 4" down pipe, 5" exhaust 8" angle cut stack. 3 gauge pillar pod with glow shift 7 color gauges: Boost, EGT, Trans temp.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Much thanks

With everybody's help from here and the team at DP-Tuner, I hope I have gotten everything figured out on my truck. New injectors, Infinity tuner/monitor, and many other fixes, and parts, and especially the intelligence I've gained through this process. I will definitely have a much better running truck. My issues basically came down to poor maintenance on my part. 7 grand later, I will be smarter in the future. Thanks to all who helped and again I sing praises to Jody and his team.

04 F250 Lariat STOLEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.