White Smoke/ Black smoke no power - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke/ Black smoke no power

Hi guys,

My 99 F250 with 7.3 just started blowing white smoke and when under load was billowing black smoke. The EBPV was working this AM as it was cold enough to activate. I pulled out of the driveway and that is when the fun started. It threw a P0113 and P0470 code. I was thinking EBPV sensor so I cleaned that and the tube and have now disconnected the EBPV solenoid connector at the pedestal.

Running in the garage, I cannot get it over 1800 RPMs before it stumbles and spews white smoke.

It has a stock tune, 4"MBRP exhaust and a tymar intake.

I am going to NAPA to get a fuel filter as my kid ran it practically out of fuel and this was a week after he lost the fuel cap allowing water in fuel (argggh). I put a filter in then, seafoamed and it has been fine for 2 plus weeks though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Smoke

Your fuel pump in the rail is most likely not working
They will start run revup and smoke like madd
02 350 sb cc ,DP Tunner, 5 inch exhaust, wicked wheel 2 , Ebpv delete , 1.0 exhaust housing , Turbo master boost controler , high flow flange , T500 HPOP , sun coast tranny and billet triple disc converter.
wrenchead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_6speed View Post
seafoamed and it has been fine
Sorry to get away from your problem. But I couldn't help but ask. How long have you seafoamed your truck? I was told that it is a big NO NO on 7.3 & 6.0s due to the high psi run through the HEUI systems. I'm just trying to figure it out as I love seafoam and I use it every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2002 F-250 4x4 crew cab short bed. banks ram air CAI, banks big head, banks power elbow, 5"diamond eye turbo back, afe intake manifold, overboost annihilator, edge juice with attitude, EBPV delete pedestal, wicked wheel, TC lock up switch, 16% tint all around, smoked recon lights, 06 dodge smoked cab over lights, soon to come: garret ball bearing turbo, 6.0 spearco intercooler, suncoast tranny upgrade, eaton locker, and complete amarillo interior.
2002greyduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002greyduty View Post
How long have you seafoamed your truck? I was told that it is a big NO NO on 7.3 & 6.0s due to the high psi run through the HEUI systems. I'm just trying to figure it out as I love seafoam and I use it every so often.
You aren't going to hurt your injectors by using seafoam occaisionally. It's just diesel fuel in a slightly different form, and these things will run on just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_6speed View Post
It threw a P0113 and P0470 code.
The P0113 code indicates a problem with the intake air sensor circuit - either a high resistance or open circuit or a problem with the sensor. That's what tells the EBP system to activate or not, so might be connected with your problem. The IAT sensor also controls the cold idle setpoint (raising idle speed under colder ambient temps.)

But the fact that you're limited in rpm and get white smoke when you mash the go-pedal points to a fuel issue. Either the pump is dead as wrenchead mentioned, or there's a serious obstruction upstream of the pump (filters screens plugged in the fuel tank pickup unit.)

The P0470 code is an EBP sensor circuit problem, either the sensor itself or the wiring.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
You aren't going to hurt your injectors by using seafoam occaisionally. It's just diesel fuel in a slightly different form, and these things will run on just about anything.
Well I pretty much got scolded for even thinking about doing it in another forum. I didn't see any harm in it but I thought they knew something I didn't. Thanks for the reply.

Probably sent while fueling up the pig.
2002 F-250 4x4 crew cab short bed. banks ram air CAI, banks big head, banks power elbow, 5"diamond eye turbo back, afe intake manifold, overboost annihilator, edge juice with attitude, EBPV delete pedestal, wicked wheel, TC lock up switch, 16% tint all around, smoked recon lights, 06 dodge smoked cab over lights, soon to come: garret ball bearing turbo, 6.0 spearco intercooler, suncoast tranny upgrade, eaton locker, and complete amarillo interior.
2002greyduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.