white smoke with first start up??? bad injector pump?? out side temp 35 - 45 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
white smoke with first start up??? bad injector pump?? out side temp 35 - 45

I have white smoke at tail pipe when first start up. Then smeens to stop after a while. out side temp 35-45
dieselfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: white smoke with first start up??? bad injector pump?? out side temp 35 - 45

I'm sorry 2000 f 250 7.3
Old 04-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Re: white smoke with first start up??? bad injector pump?? out side temp 35 - 45

Probably glow plug system, but some white smoke on a cold start is really pretty normal.

Let us know more information, (year, mileage, other symptoms, etc.) and we can provide a better guess.

The powerstroke doesn't have an injector pump. High pressure fuel is "pumped" in the injectors themselves, so you have 8 injector pumps. There is a High Pressure Oil Pump, but that doesn't normally cause those symptoms.

Welcome to TheDieselStop [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Run a tank of "Diesel Kleen" ( from wallie world) and it will clear that up. Injectors are lookin for some TLC thats all MHO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
99.5PSD, F250, 4x4, wht. CC, SB, Line-X, 200K+ , 6spd,LUK Ceramic Clutch, Warn Premium hubs, DP Tuner F5 stock/high idle/40T/60T/80E/100hp, Casserly STG1 sticks, DIY TYMAR, No EBPV, 08 Diff Cover, 4"MBRP S/S, Banks wheel*traded for stock wheel*, ATS Housing, HXLine, Zoodad Mod, CCV Mod, AIH removed, Shimmed fuel, Isspro Boost Guage & Pyro Guage, 2" Level Kit, Firestone Air Support Springs, BFG AT k/o, CB Galaxy DX949, DUAL Antennas, Lead Foot came stock

1998-F150 4x4, LB, K&N, No Kitty, 24LB inj, CB...Wifes ride.

94 Mustang GT, Red, Black Saleen rims, T-5, intake, exhaust, cam, 24LB squirts, tuned, last of the 302...
PStroked444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

try leaving your switch on longer like 1 minute before starting. sometimes it helps.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

[ QUOTE ]
Probably glow plug system, but some white smoke on a cold start is really pretty normal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. When temps are low, it's normal to see some white smoke on startup, and even lasting a minute or so. It's unburnt, raw fuel that is causing the smoke. Since the engine is cold, you are getting an incomplete burn. It happens.

However, if you think that the smoke is getting excessive, you can check your glow plugs to see if you have a few that are out. A couple of bad glow plugs can cause additional white smoke, and even make it harder to start.

On the top valley side of each valve cover is your UVC harness. The 2 outside wires on each side of each harness are for the glow plugs. Take your multimeter and ohm out each of the pins. Good glow plugs will read between .8 - 1.5 ohms. Some may range just slightly outside of that and still be good. Other readings or infinite resistance will tell you that you have a bad glow plug. If say you find one bad glow plug on one side, it's probably best to replace them all on that same side since you will already have the valve cover off.
Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for the responses.
I believe that I'm reading the last post correctly it sounds like I can check the glow plugs with removing the valve cover??
I forgot to say that its a 2000 f250 7.3

I also have antoher question on towing - can the F250 7.3 tow 12,000lbs with out killing the engine?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

The same engine is in a F450 and some F550 so I do not see why the engine will be an issue. If it were a bumper pull trailer with only 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch you should be good to go.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Location: North Central New Mexico- Sangre de Christo mountains

[ QUOTE ]
The powerstroke doesn't have an injector pump. High pressure fuel is "pumped" in the injectors themselves, so you have 8 injector pumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you writing that the injectors themselves pressurize the fuel to spray or mist in the combustion chamber? How dey do dat?
TheJackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Location: North Central New Mexico- Sangre de Christo mountains

[ QUOTE ]
I also have antoher question on towing - can the F250 7.3 tow 12,000lbs with out killing the engine?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have hauled 18,000+ pounds with my F-250. Not on Interstate highways but two lane rural highways at 55-60 MPH. I accelerate slowly working through the gears starting off in compound low and double clutch out of habit (it is jsut the way I was trained by my Dad in his '46 Autocar with a Brownie Spicer). I did upgrade the springs a bunch and run "e" rated tires at max pressure. The problem is not the "Go", it's the "whoa". Even with electric trailer brakes load of 10,000+ pounds can be tricky to control on downgrades. It is very easy to loose control of a heavy trailer going down a grade that is winding. Go slow. If the people behind you become impatient pull off the road when it is safe. Don't let them edge you up to a higher speed than you believe to be safe.
TheJackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The powerstroke doesn't have an injector pump. High pressure fuel is "pumped" in the injectors themselves, so you have 8 injector pumps.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you writing that the injectors themselves pressurize the fuel to spray or mist in the combustion chamber? How dey do dat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a blurb from the service manual

An electronically controlled/hydraulically actuated fuel injector is used.

When the fuel injector is energized, a poppet valve is opened by an electronic solenoid mounted on the fuel injector. High-pressure oil from the high-pressure oil pump flows into the fuel injector and acts on the amplifier piston, forcing the piston plunger downward. As the plunger moves down, the increased fuel pressure closes the fuel inlet check ball. Rising fuel pressure overcomes spring pressure and opens the nozzle check valve. Fuel is then injected into the combustion chamber through the eight spray orifices in the nozzle tip at pressures as high as 18,000 psi. When the fuel injector is de-energized, high-pressure oil on top of the amplifier piston is vented by the poppet valve through the top portion of the fuel injector back to the oil pan.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your respenses. I'm currently towing a 12,000 lbs 5th wheel. It s sounds liek I'm ok with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.