Why does the BATTERY LIGHT come on? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2006, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why does the BATTERY LIGHT come on?

Been working on the truck for several days changing the turbine housing. Go for a short test drive, in which the exhaust collector is leaking and blows smoke and soot all over the engine compartment, and hear a really wierd noise, like I heard with the DIY Intake when I put it on, like a huge turbo surge, then the battery light comes on.

I had my lard self laying on the truck a 100,000 times and another post sparked that it may be the wires on the top of the alternator shorting out, I checked them, but they look fine, not frayed, fried or anything...

Any ideas on why this would have come on... The truck starts and runs fine, ran the headlights for a long time, didn't run down batteries, but I know it would take a while...

Should I just have the alt tested? Sometimes I don't trust the guys and their machines at the parts store...
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Why does the BATTERY LIGHT come on?

Might be coincidence that the battery light comes on now after you have been working on the engine but my guess is that you leaned on a terminal or something that is causing your problem. I would check all of the connections especially around where you were working to see if maybe you pulled a connection apart, strained some wire(s), etc.

John [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
99.5 (5/99), F-350 SD XLT, auto, SC 4X4 Off Road, Manual 4WD, SWB, 3.73 LS, Trailer Pkg, Woodland Green, Duraliner, Lund Hood Flair, WeatherTech Deflectors, Autometer Gauges and Pod, Coolant Filter, Gold Coolant
Jmerritt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)
Send a message via ICQ to szalkayw

My battery light came on just a month ago while on the road and it turned out my alternator was bad (found this out after having it towed 200 miles back to the nearest repair shop in town).
2000 White/Tan F-350 7.3L Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed * DOM 9/99 * Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 * OilGuard Bypass filter * MBRP 4" Turbo-back exhaust * Brakesmart Controller * Kenwood DVD/Navigation player (DNX8120) and a Directed 12" overhead video/dvd player in rear * Pro Comp Ultra Lite Pyro, Boost and Trans gauges * Husky 16K FW hitch * Firestone air bags w/ dual air command setup * Tru-Cool 4739 MAX Trans Cooler * DieselSite Coolant Filter * DieselSite Transmission Filter
szalkayw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Is the alt the only reason it would come on, or could it be something else?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Could be the alternator is bad...could be the voltage regulator on the alternator, but yes it should be alternator/battery related...get a volt meter on your batteries with the truck off..should be about 12 volts or so...then turn the truck on and it should kick up to around 14 volts or so.....if it doesn't kit up....alternator....

-Casey
1997 F-250HD SuperCab●4x4●ZF-5●4.10●Tymar Intake●Wildman 6 Pos. Chip●SD Intercooler●17* HPOP●4 Straight Pipe w/5 Silverline Tip●3-Pillar Zeries Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Oil Temp)●3.5" RSK/D60/SD Springs●Ride Rite Rear Bags●Bilstein 5100 Shocks●315/75/R16 BFG A/T●Pro Comp XTreme Wheels --- SOLD 01/2011

2009 F-250 FX4 - Diesel - Crew Cab/Long Bed - 4" Pure Performance X-Factor Lift - 325/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs on Stock 20's
PSDfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

You could also (if you feel good about the shop) take it down somewhere and see if the system is charging and have the batteries load tested...

-Casey
1997 F-250HD SuperCab●4x4●ZF-5●4.10●Tymar Intake●Wildman 6 Pos. Chip●SD Intercooler●17* HPOP●4 Straight Pipe w/5 Silverline Tip●3-Pillar Zeries Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Oil Temp)●3.5" RSK/D60/SD Springs●Ride Rite Rear Bags●Bilstein 5100 Shocks●315/75/R16 BFG A/T●Pro Comp XTreme Wheels --- SOLD 01/2011

2009 F-250 FX4 - Diesel - Crew Cab/Long Bed - 4" Pure Performance X-Factor Lift - 325/60/20 Goodyear Duratracs on Stock 20's
Old 04-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I had the batts tested a while back and bought (one), they both failed the load test but I replaced the worst one, they said the other one would be good for a while longer.

Could it be the weak battery causing problems?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

It could be. I have always heard that you should replace both batts at the same time.

Wells
mtnbkr132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Well, back to square one, I had the alt checked today and they said it was putting out fine.

I'm not really thinkin this is the battery. Any more ideas out there peeps?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Could be the alternator is bad...could be the voltage regulator on the alternator, but yes it should be alternator/battery related...get a volt meter on your batteries with the truck off..should be about 12 volts or so...then turn the truck on and it should kick up to around 14 volts or so.....if it doesn't kit up....alternator....

-Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Great tip, Casey. This is a handy test to remember. Quick, and you can do it yourself at home. My grandfather taught me the same test... holds true every time I've tested it.

Greg, I'm curious.... could you do the above test and see what you find? Just for my own reference, if you wouldn't mind. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB DRW 4x4 4R100 4.10 Lariat
Performance Mods: ISSPRO gauges, DIY Tymar, straight piped, ITP boost regulator and tee, ATS ported housing, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, DP-Tuner flip chip, BTS valve body ||| LEDs everywhere: taillights/running boards/mirrors/rear, side lights wired as turn signals, upgraded headlight harness w/ Xtravisions, aux backup lights in bumper ||| Misc. Mods: no more dingers, newer cupholder, fumoto, C-Betrs, locking fuel cap, mud flaps, wannabe air horn, Line-X, behind-seat storage shelf, intercooler foil wrap removed, SS HPX
My Truck Pics

NorCal Powerstrokes
ryaneverk2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]

Great tip, Casey. This is a handy test to remember. Quick, and you can do it yourself at home. My grandfather taught me the same test... holds true every time I've tested it.

Greg, I'm curious.... could you do the above test and see what you find? Just for my own reference, if you wouldn't mind. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll have to borrow my buddy's volt meter, the one I have is crap. That is essentially the test they did at the parts store, and the alt is charging fine.

He said I could take it off and let them test it on the bench, which would test the regulator, diode, etc

I guess it could be stuck and charging constantly. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2006, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

With the alternator...I had the one on my gf's 4runner bench tested a while back because the car died on us going up I-5 and it checked out at 100% good...put it back on her car with new battery fired it up and in 20 minutes it was dead again....take the alternator back down there, passes bench test with flying colors again...bought a new alternator anyway, put the new one on, charged the batteries....car hasn't died since and that was at least 8 months ago.

-Casey

Old 04-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
With the alternator...I had the one on my gf's 4runner bench tested a while back because the car died on us going up I-5 and it checked out at 100% good...put it back on her car with new battery fired it up and in 20 minutes it was dead again....take the alternator back down there, passes bench test with flying colors again...bought a new alternator anyway, put the new one on, charged the batteries....car hasn't died since and that was at least 8 months ago.

-Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

That's how it goes... The batteries HAVE started dying now. I'm going to take it off and have it tested on the bench, if it passes, I may buy one anyway.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Greg, before you take it off, take 1 minute with a voltmeter and do that little check... betcha find out the alternator isn't putting out like she should.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB DRW 4x4 4R100 4.10 Lariat
Performance Mods: ISSPRO gauges, DIY Tymar, straight piped, ITP boost regulator and tee, ATS ported housing, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, DP-Tuner flip chip, BTS valve body ||| LEDs everywhere: taillights/running boards/mirrors/rear, side lights wired as turn signals, upgraded headlight harness w/ Xtravisions, aux backup lights in bumper ||| Misc. Mods: no more dingers, newer cupholder, fumoto, C-Betrs, locking fuel cap, mud flaps, wannabe air horn, Line-X, behind-seat storage shelf, intercooler foil wrap removed, SS HPX
My Truck Pics

NorCal Powerstrokes
ryaneverk2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2006, 05:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
... betcha find out the alternator isn't putting out like she should.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

In which case I would have to take it off anyway... I'll try to round up a voltmeter, but like I said the one I have is a piece of crap. lol

I would like to test it myself, then see what they say about it...

We'll see, I appreciate the help, hope I can get it figured out tonite, I'm supposed to run it on the Dyno tomorrow with the CO PSD Club guys and gals.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.