why is my high pressure oil line bursting? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to nick9823
why is my high pressure oil line bursting?

hi
ive got a 2000 f350 7.3 last weekend i bought a toy tarailer weighing 5500 pounds.when i hooked up to it my truck felt very week. no more than 2 miles up the road my right side high pressure oil line exploded leaving me stranded. after getting new hose that day i was off again only to make it maybee ten miles and the other side exploded. its now fixed and i havent tried towing since this hapened. i bought this truck just for towing and now have had zero luck please help. this truck has an edge with aditude,air intake with k&n,full exhaust and also lifted with 37 inch tires. i assume stock gears. this was all installed when i bought this truck. thanks alot
nick9823 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Without having something to check pressure, I'd say it's probably just old lines. If I was you I''d tow the trailer around town close to home and have a spare on hand. Could just have been time to replace em. Usually when one of anything that has a mate goes, the other is close behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick9823 View Post
hi
ive got a 2000 f350 7.3 last weekend i bought a toy tarailer weighing 5500 pounds.when i hooked up to it my truck felt very week. no more than 2 miles up the road my right side high pressure oil line exploded leaving me stranded. after getting new hose that day i was off again only to make it maybee ten miles and the other side exploded. its now fixed and i havent tried towing since this hapened. i bought this truck just for towing and now have had zero luck please help. this truck has an edge with aditude,air intake with k&n,full exhaust and also lifted with 37 inch tires. i assume stock gears. this was all installed when i bought this truck. thanks alot

My PSD X

2000 Excursion 7.3L PSD 4X4
DP-Tuner F5 : no start, stock, 40T, Decel, 80T, 80E - AutoMeter A pillar w/ 3 Phantom gauges - DIY Tymar intake w/ S&B conical filter - Zoodad mod - Suncoast Extreme Duty Trans rebuild w/ TransGo Shift kit, Amsoil synthetic ATF & Magnefine inline filer - BD Triple Disc Billet Torque Converter - 4" Stainless Steel Turbo Back (4" down pipe) Magnaflow exhaust - ATS Turbo housing and 4" intake sleeve - Turbo Master Wastegate Controller - HX Oil Crossover - Morse Ceramic brake pads - Monroe Reflex Shocks - Energy Suspension Bushings - IC foil wrap delete - Fumoto Oil Valve - 08' Aluminum Rear Differential Cover - White Night reverse light system - Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS - 6.o tranny cooler - Dieselsite Coolant Filter w/ CAT ELC coolant - Amsoil Single Bypass Oil Filter w/ Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil - APC white gauge cluster face - Dual in-dash DVD w/ Infinity Reference speakers & Blaupunkt 200A powered sub - 4.5" LED marker/turn lights in front bumper - ViAir HD onboard air system w/ 380C compressor, 2.5 gal tank & Grover stutter tone air horn - FireStone RideRite suspension air bags -

TOWING:
2004 Dutchmen 31BH travel trailer
detroitfd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree. Now that you have them both replaced, you are probably fine to tow again. I tow an 11,500 lb toy hauler, and it is no problem at all for my truck.

Replace that k&n intake right away. Those k&n intakes are no good for powerstrokes. I lot of people have learned that the hard way when their turbo and engine was destroyed and they had to replace everything. Get ais intake for $200 if you can afford it here.

Powerstrokeshop.com
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I would check and make sure the ICP sensor didn't get unplugged. I would also get codes pulled ASAP to find out why this is happening.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

towing with 37s on a powerstroke

does anbody tow with 37 inch tires on a powerstroke with stock gears, if so hows it pull? with a trailer weight of 5500 or so i cant believe ive had problems. how likly is it that i need to re gear or get some smaller tires to tow comfortly? also when i was towing i had the edge in level 3 wich i read up on and they dont recomend this setting for towing wich i found out after the problems. thanks for all the help. Nick
Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
does anbody tow with 37 inch tires on a powerstroke with stock gears, if so hows it pull? with a trailer weight of 5500 or so i cant believe ive had problems. how likly is it that i need to re gear or get some smaller tires to tow comfortly? also when i was towing i had the edge in level 3 wich i read up on and they dont recomend this setting for towing wich i found out after the problems. thanks for all the help. Nick
Should not have caused these problems, I think you were the victim of coincedence.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
arisley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

what is coinsedence?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
what is coinsedence?
Sorry, I meant Coincidence

Coincidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two lines going out under similar circumstance, totally unrelated to each other, and making you think you have an underlying common problem that caused both malfunctions.

I think I pretty much covered your question.

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Quote:
what is coinsedence?
Just random bad luck that's not really related.

I'd start off by not towing in a chip/tuner setting that is not recommended for towing. With 2 new lines off the HPOP you should be fine now.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
F350_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks andy i see what you mean now all is appreciated. my truck is being checked for problems at local diesel shop after that ill be doing some local towing to see if its all fixed. just hopeing for good results ive been told to regear it but dont really want to i like to go 70 or 75 on my way to the dunes. thanks
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks andy i see what you mean. ive been told to re gear this to help with towing are 37s to much tire for stck gears trailer shouldent weigh any more than 8000 fully loaded.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

thanks andy. ive been told to regear, are 37s to much tire for towing a trailer weighing no more than 8000 fully loaded?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

just wondering if 37s are to much tire for stock gears and a trailer weighing no more than 8000 fully loaded
Old 02-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

I wouldn't until you try it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.