wiring harness - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wiring harness

Does anybody know were to get an engine wiring harness? Ford no longer sells them. Not having good luck finding a used one. Thanks for your help.
Strictly diesel overboost annihilator
jobeperformance intake
dieselsite 203 t stat, coolant filter, evans coolant
38r with bank-bighead installed, diesel site non ebv flange international up-pipes coated, diesel site engine boot-kit, non-ebv pedestal
strictly diesel regulated fuel return kit 65psi.
new fuel bowl
CMF+ intake
isspro ev2 pyrometer(pre turbo), fuel pressure, coolant temp, HPOP gauge
1985 M1009 soon to be installed banks sidewinder turbo.
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
eBay would be one place to try. I sold one there a while back. That or post a classified ad here on TDS. You need to be sure that the year at a minimum matches. I found out recently that there are differences in pinouts between the 99-01 and 02-03 engine harneses.

If yours isn't completely trashed, most of the connectors with pigtails are available that could be spliced into yours. You could even get a harness from most any Ford at a wrecking yard if the problem is with the big 4-pin connector and splice that in.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here

Last edited by klhansen; 11-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just found out 99 is different from 02 I swapped engines And had to use my old harness. I have an extra '02 harness if that helps. Let me know
dblott1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

there is people scrapping 99-00 over here in cochise co here in az. if you cannot find one let me know and i'll try to find thier ph ##'s. they are parting out the trucks, accidents.
tickedoff36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

I found one for a 2002. Guy that is working on my truck is going to Ford to find out if it will work. My truck is a 2000 so I don't know if it will. Thanks everybody for your help. A side note the problem with the harness is it is shorting out and blowing #30 fuse. Got the harness fixed once and it shorted out within a month of getting fixed. Had 2 spots were it was shorted out before. Don't want to have it fixed and then have it short out again. I am afraid to go anywhere with it.
jobeperformance intake
38r with bank-bighead installed, diesel site non ebv flange international up-pipes coated, diesel site engine boot-kit, non-ebv pedestal
new fuel bowl
CMF+ intake
Old 11-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Your problem may not be the harness at all. Fuse #30 powers the fuel heater as well as the PCM. The 99's and some 2000's came with a button type heater with a bus wire soldered to the buttons. If the wire comes loose and shorts against the mount, it'll blow fuse #30.

Pull the fuel filter and check the heater. You can temporarily fix it by simply pulling the fuel heater connector.

Here's some more info on the fuel heater.
Shorted fuel heater - fixed

Also an 02 harness will NOT work on your 2000. It messes up the charging circuit because of the mismatch on the 42 pin connector.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

matthew,

like i mentioned before. the 02 harness wont work. between the 99,2000 and 02,03 they changed the pin location of the alternator wire. when i just replaced my 99 with an 02 engine i left the 02 harness thinking it would be fine. everything worked except the alternator wouldnt come on and charge the system. a couple of guys on this forum suggested that i put my original 99 harness on to solve the problem.

turns out, those were right. i did the swap and everything works great......so, a 00 harness IS different that an 02
Air raid cold air intake
4" straight exhaust dumps in front of rear tire
Edge evolution turner
dblott1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

update: Got to check fuel filter heater. I'm 99.99% it is not that. The fuel filter housing is less than a year old. Thanks for the help. Going to get a wiring digram from ford and see how hard it will be to get the harness to work. (If it not to much work) Thanks for the help!
jobeperformance intake
new fuel bowl
CMF+ intake
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's really not got anything to do with the housing, but the heater element itself (screws into the housing). There is a wire heating element that will break off it's mount and short out on the housing, blowing the #30 fuse.

As for the harness differences, all the critical items are correct. The injector circuits, ipr, icp, cps are correct. I know the circuit for the alternator IS on a different pin, so right off the bat, you won't be charging.
AE, Alldatadiy, and half a clue
- AKA "The Big White Truck"

PM please. No Visitor Msg if you want a response anytime soon
tinman13kup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.