WIX coolant test strips? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WIX coolant test strips?

I just got some WIX coolant test strips. Are they equivalent to the Fleetgard strips? I haven't used them yet so if not i can still return them.

Thanks!
AIS Intake
Zoodad
Straight pipe exhaust
Bilsteins
Edge New Evolution
T/C Lock Switch
Royal Purple in engine, trans., and diff.
Other Cars: '90 CG-Lock / Royal Purple SpecMiata, '06 Mazda3i,
Trailer: 2008 MTI 26' + 5' V-Nose
CG_Lock_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Re: WIX coolant test strips?

Fleetguard makes two kinds of SCA.

DCA2 was used by GM, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel and some other diesel marketers. It contains nitrite but not molybdate.

DCA4 was used by Ford, International, Cummins, and a few others. It contains both nitrite and molybdate.

Fleetguard 3-way test strips are made to test coolant treated with DCA4 SCA.

Wix coolant test strips are closer to DCA2 test strips. They call them 3-way, but they don't test for molybdate. They test for nitrite, glycol, and PH.

Here is a blurb from Wix about their test strips:

[ QUOTE ]
Wix COOLANT TEST KITS

Cooling systems with which have been treated with Dry Chemical Additives (DCA) type Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA) may be checked with these kits. These kits are not suitable for use with extended service, extended life, long life or fully formulated anti-freezes, chemistries or anti-freeze colors other than traditional green.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were still using green coolant with SCA, would I use the Wix test strips? Only if I couldn't find the Fleetguard 3-way test strips that include molybdate in their test.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Phil, there are industry conversion standards for testing DCA-4 SCA's with the 2-way (WIX) test strips. This is because Nitrite, not Molybdate, is the primary cavitation inhibitor in any SCA, whether it is DCA-2 or DCA-4.

800 ppm Nitrite (as read on the Wix test strip) = 1 DCA-4 Unit

You want a minimum of 1200 ppm Nitrite, or 1.5 Units, for adequate protection. No more than double that.

[ QUOTE ]
By SmokeyWren:

Fleetguard makes two kinds of SCA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both DCA-2 and DCA-4 meet the specification for his PSD, and both are approved for use by International, who made the engine.

[ QUOTE ]
By SmokeyWren:

DCA2 was used by GM, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel and some other diesel marketers. It contains nitrite but not molybdate.

DCA4 was used by Ford, International, Cummins, and a few others. It contains both nitrite and molybdate.

[/ QUOTE ]

DCA-4 wasn't introduced until 1984. Prior to that, all diesels requiring SCA used DCA-2 or a similar nitrite-based SCA. Today, DCA-2 still remains the most popular and widely used SCA in the world. DCA-2 does not rely on Molybdate "synergy" for cavitation protection. It simply relies on the primary cavitation inhibitor, Nitrite, using a simple, proven, easy to find, easy to use technology.

DCA-4 was later developed by Fleetguard, which was (is) owned by Cummins. Cummins (Fleetguard) developed DCA-4 so they could specify and sell it for their own engines...capitalize, so to speak. At that time, Ford held interest in Cummins, and International was in business ventures with Ford. So...what's good for the goose is good for the gander...Cummins capitalized on DCA-4 by specifying it for their own engines and taking advantage of their relations with Ford and IH, who also decided to recommend it. DCA-4 relies on "synergy" between the Nitrite and Molybdate. But the theory is questionable since you can't optimize the Molybdate/Nitrite scale, or add just Molybdate alone. Plus the theory allows you to have adequate protection with zero Molybdate present, as long as there is enough Nitrite...exactly what the DCA-2 does.

[ QUOTE ]
By SmokeyWren:

Fleetguard 3-way test strips are made to test coolant treated with DCA4 SCA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh...the 3-way test strips will test any SCA, whether it contains Nitrite only, or Nitrite and Molybdate. When testing DCA-2 with a 3-way strip, simply ignore the Molybdate scale.

[ QUOTE ]
By SmokeyWren:

Wix coolant test strips are closer to DCA2 test strips. They call them 3-way, but they don't test for molybdate. They test for nitrite, glycol, and PH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freeze-point, Nitrite level, and pH are the most important things to test for. pH will tell you the over-all condition of the glycol, especially if you compare it to the pH of the coolant when it was new. Nitrite is the primary cavitation inhibitor, Molybdate need not apply. The importance of freeze-point speaks for itself, especially in cold climates.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies!

I ended up using the WIX strips. It mentions DCA-IV on the bottle of them and that is what the SCA I got from Ford contains. My coolant tested low for the nitrates, so I added 1 pt. of the SCA drove the truck normally for a day and retested after it was cool. Then everything tested normal.

Thanks again!
AIS Intake
Zoodad
Straight pipe exhaust
Bilsteins
Edge New Evolution
T/C Lock Switch
Royal Purple in engine, trans., and diff.
Other Cars: '90 CG-Lock / Royal Purple SpecMiata, '06 Mazda3i,
Trailer: 2008 MTI 26' + 5' V-Nose
CG_Lock_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Quote from Smokey:
If I were still using green coolant with SCA, would I use the Wix test strips? Only if I couldn't find the Fleetguard 3-way test strips that include molybdate in their test.

What has changed since you switched to the Gold? You still should check your SCA's, and if you would dip a strip you would find that your gold is at 800 ppm or less straight out of the bottle, far below the 1200ppm minimum level, and less than half of the ideal 1800ppm you would like to see.

To the OP, 1800 is the ideal level to keep your SCA's at. Glad you got the right stuff, now when your coolant needs changing go to the Fleetrite ELC and throw those strips away.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
What has changed since you switched to the Gold? You still should check your SCA's, and if you would dip a strip you would find that your gold is at 800 ppm or less straight out of the bottle, far below the 1200ppm minimum level, and less than half of the ideal 1800ppm you would like to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you (and some others) had some problems with Chemistry 101.

The test strips are for measuring DCA (dry chemical additive) in green antifreeze. G-05 "gold" coolant doesn't include DCA. Yes, it includes nitrite, but it's in a different chemical compound than DCA, and the test strips won't properly measure the effectiveness of gold or any other long-life coolant.

Wix says their test strips should not be used to test anything other than green antifreeze with DCA. They won't work right with G-05 or any ELC coolant. I suspect if you read deep enough, Fleetguard will tell you the same thing.

Have you asked Zerex if their G-05 can be tested with ordinary DCA test strips? They will tell you no, because G-05 doesn't include DCA.

Ford says the gold coolant is good for 100,000 miles with no maintenance in Ford diesel engines. Zerex says 150,000 miles. Dig deeper into the chemistry of the G-05 coolant and you'll probably learn why.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Smokey, your continual "Golden" coolant drivel is ridiculous. There are some things you are better off learning from, rather than preaching about. Since you have absolutely no actual experience, training, or education concerning coolants (Google doesn't count), I might suggest you hold your tongue and take your Ford blinders off. That is unless you are capable of engaging in a coolant chemistry 101 discussion yourself? That would be ok with me.

Look Smokey, the only cavitation additives that a test strip will test for are either Nitrite (2-way strip) or Nitrite/Molybdate (3-way strip). There is nothing special there concerning the G-05 or any DCA.

The G-05 contains the Nitrite cavitation additive. No Molybdate. In fact it is called a "fully-formulated" coolant because the Nitrite is added to the G-05 as SCA.

Any test strip that indicates "Nitrite", either a 2-way or 3-way strip, will tell you how much Nitrite is in the G-05.

To drive this point home, some G-05 users like John Deere, print right on their bottle of G-05 that the coolant should be tested at least annually, and SCA added as necessary. Ford also requires the addition of SCA to some of its F-series vehicles using the Gold. This is because the SCA additive (Nitrite) will deplete over time due to the inorganics present, and the G-05 isn't up to the task otherwise.

As for Ford and Zerex's change interval....Zerex supplies the Ford G-05. But Zerex doesn't manufacture the G-05. They get it from BASF. And BASF says the G-05 is good for 3-years/30K miles. In fact according to BASF, it has a shelf life of only 3-years.

Believe what you want from Ford...they also said we didn't have to test our conventional "green" coolant SCA either. But hey, you can run the Gold 100K or 150K if you want. I wouldn't. Not when there are much more robust coolants available made specifically for diesels that can go 750K miles with zero maintenance.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.