wont start without ether - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wont start without ether

im looking at a used psd and the guys says it wont start without ether.. what could be wrong with it that it wouldnt start without it ??? thanks 7.3 obviously
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would run away from that one. Ether is not good to use along with glow plugs. Can you say ka-boom.
2000 7.3 powerstroke. PHP 6 position chip (stock,high idle,60tow,80dd,100hp,no start) . 6637 riffraff filter kit . AIH delete. Oil crossover. 6.0 tranny cooler. In tank mods. Wicked Wheel. EBPV delete. Walker 21470 muffler. Riffraff FRX
tbpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Many things could have started the hard to start scenario, glow plugs or the GPR most likely. For me it wouldn't matter at this point unless they were giving me such a good deal that I could drop an engine in there for the bargain I was getting. Their statement indicates that not just once but as a pattern to get the unit started they have used starting fluid. That can damage many things internally on a PSD that are not easily evident right away, like a cracked piston, bent valves or cracked rod. I would walk away from it or demand a super deal because of it. Who knows maybe it is OK but why make their unknown condition yours. 106
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
Oneof6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
I've only been able to NOT be able to get a high mileage 7.3 without ether one time and it was a blown head gaskets. Oil pressure can also cause a no start...assuming all fuses are good.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

hes askin $3900 or so for a ext. cab 4x4. i figure worst case it needs a new motor..
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it starts on ether and then runs fine thereafter, I would reckon that is a glow plug issue. You might have him demostrate his ether-starting method, if he just shoots a quick little shot in and then goes and starts it up, that is not anything to worry about IMO. If he tells you hit the starter and then he sprays and sprays until it finally kicks off, yeah I would stay away from that motor.

Ether is not an automatic diesel-killer IF you know how and, more importantly, how not to use it.
2005 Escape 2.3L/CD4E
jstrauss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrauss View Post
Ether is not an automatic diesel-killer IF you know how and, more importantly, how not to use it.
x2 My 96 F250 is cold weather ether dependant
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Louisiana Powerstroke Owners

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.