Yippy, another problem. Electrical? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 1999-Up Super Duty trucks and Excursions. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yippy, another problem. Electrical?

Recently purchased 99 f250, nightmare from the getgo and heres the new problem, I'll explain as best I can. Basically truck shuts off by itself. 1400 rpm is bout all it's good for in gear. In neut or park 3 or 4 good throttle stomps and same result, it dies like you've turned the key off. With that said it also shutt off randomly (MANY TIMES) limping it back home at steady throttle. Sometimes it just cuts out really fast 3 or 4 times, might die might not. If it doesn't die it returns to idle and I have to let off the throttle and get back on it or it'll just keep idling. And every time it dies or cuts out the water in fuel light and wait to start light come on as though I've turned the key off and back on. Sounds electrical to me but where to start. One thing i know is im bout ready to drive this thing off a cliff at a blazing 12mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:18 PM

Is it stock or do you have a lot of add ons? Have you scanned it for problems and codes?. How's your fuel pressure. Have you replaced the CPS? Is your ICP leaking oil. What is the ICP pressure while running?

2002 F250 Stock PSD Crew Cab SRW
1998 HR Endeavor MH w/275 Cummins Diesel and MD3060 Allison 6 speed

PREVIOUS TRUCK 97 F250 PSD 3.55 Draw-Tite Slider, pulling 2850RK Keystone Montana DIY Exhaust brake with TC Lockup
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Is it stock or do you have a lot of add ons? Have you scanned it for problems and codes?. How's your fuel pressure. Have you replaced the CPS? Is your ICP leaking oil. What is the ICP pressure while running?

Bone stock. Havn't scanned. Fuel pressure should be good assuming i just replaced the pump this morning thinking that was the problem.havnt replaced CPS. New ICP a month ago. Thanks for quick responce.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Sounds like you may have an engine control sensor harness that's shorting out from engine vibration.

You should check everywhere you can for a spot where a part of the harness goes across any part of the engine (such as a the front of the block down to the Cam Position Sensor (CPS)). If you find anything that even looks suspect, you should tape it up to insulate it.

You might also need to change out the CPS, as they are known to be an issue.

Good luck

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Great advice! A good inspection with a bright light is always a must. I would try to get a friend to scan it for you if you don't have one or you will just be guessing. That way you can see the codes and vitals just prior to failure.

Ok you replaced the CPS and Fuel Pump. But you need to know the fuel pressure is good anyway. The fuel is drawn from the tank through a sometimes troubling tank pickup then on to the regulator in the fuel bowl. It regulates by letting some of the fuel return to the tank If your fuel pressure is good then your regulator is ok and there is a good chance the tank pickup and internal tank filters are ok.

I am assuming your fuel filter is clean and the the bowl fills quickly. Check your HPOP for proper level....1 inch from top.

You need to know what the ICP pressure is when the engines stops. If it gets too low the engine will stop. Also the IPR duty cycle.

you might check the electrical connection to the IPR. Sometimes it cracks.. Also sometimes IPR orings go bad.

2002 F250 Stock PSD Crew Cab SRW
1998 HR Endeavor MH w/275 Cummins Diesel and MD3060 Allison 6 speed

PREVIOUS TRUCK 97 F250 PSD 3.55 Draw-Tite Slider, pulling 2850RK Keystone Montana DIY Exhaust brake with TC Lockup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up 7.3L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.