444e Brake compressor for onboard air? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
444e Brake compressor for onboard air?

When I was a youngun' I rode in many a school bus equipped with the 444 and 444e all had air brakes.

Anyone know how the compressor was configured on these units?

My thinking here is about another option in onboard air setups on the ole PSD.

North East Mid-Atlantic Diesel Club: http://www.nemadc.org/

MrPlowJr_EZ_V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2007, 02:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: 444e Brake compressor for onboard air?

The majoritie of them are Belt driven.On T-444E's the common mounting is offset off the front of the drivers side head.And I doubt you will fit it in a Superduty Eng compartment.I would go with a Electric powerd Unit
Old 04-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you can find room you could bolt up a belt driven Bendix Tu-Flow 500 or 750. The Bendix Tu-Flow compressors are very common and a good unit. The belt driven models are not quite as common but are around. Most of the gas powered Ford B chassis that had air brakes had a belt driven Tu-Flow. Several International trucks/engines used the belt-driven setup. The compressor itself isn't all that big, probably 24"x14" or so, but the pulley is about as big as the tires on a Civic.
pmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

[ QUOTE ]
The majoritie of them are Belt driven.On T-444E's the common mounting is offset off the front of the drivers side head.And I doubt you will fit it in a Superduty Eng compartment.I would go with a Electric powerd Unit

[/ QUOTE ]Somebody posted in the Upgrades and Aftermarket General forums that IH has a mount for a belt driven compressor located where the second alternator would go in a PSD. They were trying to find a IH part number. There is an aftermarket pump that goes in the same location but they wanted $800 for the mount!
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Unless you get a good used compressor they are rather pricey for a rebuilt unit. Last rebuilt one I bought was about $1200. Like was said, using the IH brackets the compressor will be higher than the rest of the engine. I would bet the SD hood will not close. You will also need to relocate the Ford alternator, as the compressor will mount where it sits. IH mounts their alternators low on the passenger side.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I fitted a sankyo 506 airconditioner compressor where the dress cover was on the top of the motor. Created a mount from the two bolts on the original A/C compressor and alternator bracket. Fitted a pulley to the front of the crankshaft and a tensioner pulley on the way up to the compressor. Empty the oil from the compressor and put a very high quality grease into it. About a cup full. I fitted a grease nipple to the filler plug. I also fitted a non return valve in the outlet hose. I use resevior on my system. I have a pressure switch fitted that makes use of the compressor clutch along with a blow off valve. These compressors can get up to 400psi and deliver about 10 CFM
My 2 cents worth
Regards
Ron
2000 F350 king cab 4x4,No engine mods,Roo Bar,Headlight and bonnet stone protectors,Inlet snorkel,flares on front,Engine driven air compressor and receiver,Hot water tap,tyre temp and pressure monitor,95 ltr fuel tank under right hand side,aluninium side steps,flat trayback,50ltr water tank under left hand side,heavy wired front and back for 4500lb electric winch, Bilnstien shocks,converted to right hand drive,battery conditioner,electric trailer brakes,heavy duty tow bar,synthetic oil in tranny,extra tranny coolerand filter ,tranny temp & pyro,
Ride-Rite airbags all round.Full flow muffler outlet at rear of vehicle.Engine breather mod.HHO generator
knapp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.