4R100 Shift improvment - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 Shift improvment

My truck has 190k on it and the trans is sloppy as... well you know. After adding a chip it just magnified how sloppy it really is. What accumulator kit(s) can I get to firm everything up. I get a slip-bump on takeoff if I get in it a little and then I feel like I run out of power before it sponges into 2nd. With no chip the trans feels "normal". I want solid, smooth power from stopped to stomped. No pauses along the way. Any advice will help. Thanks, David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
The chip probably jacked up the pressures. If its still slipping, then you probably need new clutches as adding more pressure probably wont help.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Yeah, if that's the original stock tranny, then it's probably simply worn out. Very few 4R100 trannies lived past 150k miles.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
X3....

IF the trans is in good shape I would do this:

31 row 6.0 trans cooler
BTS VB
Hybrid tq converter..

We have all including new BTS tran's if you deside to get a fresh one.

PM me if I can help.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

i have 180k on my 4r100 and its still running strong. stroke of luck?
white 2001 f350 offroad edition, 174,xxx miles, ext cab shortbox, 285/75/16 cooper discoverer S/T's, line-X bed liner, gooseneck hitch, pillar gauges, Edge juice with atitude tuner. all stock temporarily, id like to put a 5 inch turbo back exaust, cold air intake and biuld the transmission on it
fordpowerstroke20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Some last longer than others...its a bell curve.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
What kind of tuning? The transmissions go much faster with aftermarket tuning.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

50 State + Canada Diesel Shops

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Mild tuning up to about an additional 80 HP won't reduce the longevity of a 4R100 tranny, provided you drive by the gauges and NEVER allow more than 225 tranny temp, and you keep fresh ATF in the tranny. I usually ran a 60-tow tune, but sometimes 80-economy. My stock tranny and torque converter lasted 112,000 miles before the torque converter began showing signs of fatigue. When BTS tore it down, Brian said the torque converter was shot, but the tranny would probably have lasted another 100,000 miles before needing an overhaul.

So an aftermarket tune is not the culprit if they were written by one of the good tuners such as Jody Tipton, Bill Cohron, or Tony Wildman. Tunes over 100 HP, inadequate maintenance, and high temps are the killers of most 4R100 trannies.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.