The Diesel Stop banner

6637 for the win

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Cobranut 
#1 ·
This is kind of a rant... I installed a K&N filter on my air aid intake system because the old filter was warn out and the k&N filter was much cheaper then the replacement air aid filter. Keep in mind ive had the K&N filter on the truck for about 1 year it was a washable filter. I took good care of cleaning and oiling the filter. Last week i cleaned out the filter with a pressure washer and i noticed Holes EVERYWHERE in the filter. I then checked my compressor wheel on the turbo it was covered in fine dust and oil from the ccv. Needless to say i am no longer a K&N fan... So i went ahead and did the ccv mod and the 6637 mod. I am very pleased with this filter set up. I have been chasing around turbo fluttering problems changed all my IC boots and leak checked the system and after changing to the 6637 my next purchase was going to be a ported housing. But the 6637 eliminated the compressor surge. It did a few things too my engine sounds quieter for some reason it runs a heck of a lot better and what i found odd is that it seems to shift a little better too. (Not sure how). Anyway just thought i would share my experience. I'm not sure if i posted this in the proper section sorry.

#3 · (Edited)
If my pressure washer destroyed the filter then it wasnt a very good filter. My spectre filter on my old truck held up to it. The point of this post is that the filter dusted the turbo and intake tube before the cleaning. And was apperently causing my turbo surge... Plus I wont need to clean them anymore anyway since the filter is a discard filter.

#4 ·
The instructions for cleaning those type filters say to use low pressure flushing only. YOU ruined your filter and caused the 'fine dust and oil from the ccv'.

Reactions: Cobranut
#5 ·
I would 2nd that, the K&N's aren't all that tough and any concentrated pressure, either air or water, can rip the Gauze to shreds... All the K&N's and Green Filters I have used in the past say to spray with the Degreaser, wash by hand gently, then set out to dry... I have used light air pressure to blow dust/dirt off them in-between cleaning, but never a pressure washer...

#6 · (Edited)
okay let me clear something up. Prior to this wash i had not used the pressure washer on this filter i used filter cleaner and a garden hose. Being how the pressure washer is at a job i recently started. The other filters i have pressure washed at the school i used to go to. Now with that being said.... The dust on the turbo and intake tube was not caused by the pressure washing of this filter..... I got it dont pressure wash filters. After pressure washing this filter i noticed the dust BEFORE re installing filter. Is that better? Flame me for pressure washing the filter but dont flame me for causing the dust to be in the intake. Also i got it and wont use a pressure washer anymore and understand that caused the holes in the filter. However does not explain the lack of filtration before hand.

#7 ·
How many grams of oil were you using on recharge?
It takes basically an entire bottle of oil per filter.
The oil is what catches the fine dust.

#8 ·
i cant remember the exact amount but i had the K&N filter cleaner kit and it almost took the whole bottle to cover the thing. I made sure that every part of the filter had been re dyed red. Also it had the K&N filter bag.

#9 ·
Over cleaning this type of filter is not good either, they filter better when a bit dirty. Unless they are really bad, best to just knock the bugs and chunks out of them.

#10 ·
This is true.
I run K&N's on my roadrace cars as well as several of my street cars, and I've never noticed any dust downstream of the filter.
On my daily driver, I gently wash and re-oil it about every 50,000 miles.
Those on the race cars get washed and oiled once or twice a season.
After each race weekend, I use my shop vac around the outside of the filter to remove any larger or loose particles, and use a pick to carefully dig out the gravel particles and bugs that get caught between the pleats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.