7.3 intercooler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 intercooler

Is there a big difference in EGT'S by installing a banks intercooler??
I have also read that installing a 6.0 intercooler in a 7.3 is a good upgrade is that easy to do ?? Any mods to make it fit?? Pros cons please....

Last edited by spongebob915; 04-01-2011 at 09:56 AM.
spongebob915 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I installed an '03 6.0 intercooler in my 2000 F250 and it did help with the EGT's probably 50-100 degrees, which I feel made it worth it because I tow quite abit. I will say I found that it takes a bit longer for the turbo to spool up because of the increase volume of the intercooler as compared to the original 7.3 intercooler, but that could be because of the 6 spd. The 6 spd's don't spool as fast as an auto. I hope this helps, Todd
2000 F250 ext cab XLT 4x4 7.3L w/6 spd. Additions: 100 ga. aux. fuel tank w/ electric pump, Warn 12K winch and Transformer winch mount, 6637 Kwik filter, Mbrp 4" turbo back exhaust w/ straight pipe, Isspro pyro and boost gauges in dual pillar mount, TS performance 6 position flip chip, '08 rear diff cover, front and rear aux. lighting, homemade CCV mod., A/C mod., B&W gooseneck underbed ball mount, Rotor Pros drilled and slotted rotors and low dust pads, 6.0L intercooler, urethane sway bar bushings, shimmed FPR to 68 psi, AIH delete, 8" woofers in each rear door, 10" custom box behind flip down center console, Pioneer 6x8's in front doors, US Acoustics amp, Hornblasters Train horn. Southbend Con-Ofe, 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 AT's, Hutch and Harpoon fuel tank mods, in-dash Kenwood DDX 7015 DVD, headlight mod w/ diode and the list goes on & on.......
bb79ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Spongebob915- are you getting into the danger zone with the EGT's? Do you have a pyrometer? I find on my '99 that in the worst of pulling conditions I don't get into critical temps. I have a stock intercooler and have a banks turbo back exhaust, with a superchips tuner set at 40 extra horses and pulling a cab-over camper and a 19' boat grossing 18,000 lbs. In the summer heat of 100 degrees and 6% grade I climb to about 1000'-1100' on my before turbo pyro. just giving you a guideline. 1250' is redline before meltdown of the turbo fins.
wysard77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey! spongebob what year is your truck ? Mike
I have a 95 F350 PS/DRW/LB which I bought in 05' with 102,000mi from original owner as of 6/29/12 it has 920,798 mi.on the original engine.It runs great and pulls even better.It pulls commercially anything and everything that pays me money Ha,Ha.Uprades done are an all steel cowl induction hood to help get the heat out of the engine bay,Banks inter-cooler hardware kit using a cooler from a 99 PS,TRUCOOL tranny cooler,Magtech alum.finned tranny and rear diff.covers,DP tunes 40T,60T,60E.S&W guages BST/Trans.Temp/EGT,K&N cold air intake,BD 4"exhaust,HPturbochargers did my upgrades on turbo with banks impeller(a little diff.pitch and height than the stock garrett splitter wheel) and 1.0 exh.for faster spool-up WOW!I'm hoping to hit 1 million miles or more before having to put my drop-in crate engine in.I can only hope that it will be just as good.Hopefully! I can be of assistance to any one needing help with thier PS with problems that I may or may not have encountered.GOOD LUCK!
themule67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

My truck is a 2001 f350 crew cab

I reason about asking about the intercooler is because I found someone selling a banks for $700 . Is it worth putting on . I do have a intake , ts chip which sucks needs a re tune . Would I notice a big difference in EGT'S .
When I tow my trailer compared to my old stock truck it feels twice as heavy and my EGT'S are always 1200+ if I'm going up hill ,plus I need to slow down .
I do have 35 inch tires I guess that does make a difference. Old truck had stock tires .
spongebob915 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
If you are always seeing 1200+ I'd also look into possible boost leaks. $700 for the banks cooler sounds like a good price. I'd also get a set of dieselsite boots to hook it up. I bet it makes a bigger difference than you think because you will end up removing some boost leaks in the process.

Larger tires will hurt a little, and I'm curious why your TS chip needs retuned. Have you tried running without it to see if that is causing you to heat up too quickly?

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wysard77 View Post
Spongebob915- are you getting into the danger zone with the EGT's? Do you have a pyrometer? I find on my '99 that in the worst of pulling conditions I don't get into critical temps. I have a stock intercooler and have a banks turbo back exhaust, with a superchips tuner set at 40 extra horses and pulling a cab-over camper and a 19' boat grossing 18,000 lbs. In the summer heat of 100 degrees and 6% grade I climb to about 1000'-1100' on my before turbo pyro. just giving you a guideline. 1250' is redline before meltdown of the turbo fins.

Turbo doesn't care about the EGT's its the pistons..you can tow all day at 1250* preturbo.

I'd get a TS chip with custom tunes..if you don't have a intake a Tymar will help get additional air flow. PM me if I can help.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

with the 6.0 intercooler did u notice any hp gaines or just lower temps
Ymmitjr01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

caryt is right, you ain't gonna hurt the turbo it's the pistons that will crack, distort, melt ring landings, ect...

Take out TS chip and test EGT's also double check for boost leaks between the turbo and the intake plenums(check all boots).

Want a great chip go see Jody...
Diesel tuning products for Ford PowerStroke
aFe Magnum
50/80/110 Bill's flip chip W/PMT1,and a DP 120
A-Pillar Autolites Trans/EGT/Boost-GOS Racing
APCM(AIC)
Boost Bleed off
4" Lift W/315's
Dual alt's.
ATS housing
Wicked Wheel
Banks 1.0 A/R housing
ISSPRO TTM
Warn Premium Hubs
J/S IDM
Racor 4500 CCV
ARG SuperPump and Gear
DDM HID's 55W/10K HI-LO's
SOLD: 97 F250HD CC SB 4X4 7.3L E4OD 4.10
drdenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

$700 for just a used Banks 7.3 IC seems a little steep to me. I've seen just the Banks 6.0 IC sold new for $850. Salvage yards sell Ford 6.0 IC's for $200 all day long. (not that I think they're comparable on a performance level)

If it's a Banks 6.0 IC, and it includes the boots to adapt, then I wouldn't balk at the $700 price.
txgp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
$700 for just a used Banks 7.3 IC seems a little steep to me. I've seen just the Banks 6.0 IC sold new for $850. Salvage yards sell Ford 6.0 IC's for $200 all day long. (not that I think they're comparable on a performance level)

If it's a Banks 6.0 IC, and it includes the boots to adapt, then I wouldn't balk at the $700 price.
IF we can put a 6.0 stock intercooler into the 7.3 truck, can a Banks 6.0 intercooler also be put into a 7.3 truck? That might open up more options for the OP or at least give an avenue for him to bargain down the seller.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
can a Banks 6.0 intercooler also be put into a 7.3 truck?
According to these guys it can. The IC is $845.50, and they offer conversion boots for $94. Personally, I'd opt for Bob Riley's Boot kit, save for it being out of stock.

Upgrading the exhaust and intake are two things I really want to do to my 02' 7.3, but saving $$$ to build a house in the next few years is taking a priority.

I also have a manual transmission, so I lose boost every time I shift. Switching to a turbo with a lower A/R ratio is something I'd like as well.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgp17 View Post
According to these guys it can. The IC is $845.50, and they offer conversion boots for $94. Personally, I'd opt for Bob Riley's Boot kit, save for it being out of stock.

Upgrading the exhaust and intake are two things I really want to do to my 02' 7.3, but saving $$$ to build a house in the next few years is taking a priority.

I also have a manual transmission, so I lose boost every time I shift. Switching to a turbo with a lower A/R ratio is something I'd like as well.
Quote:
We at Diesel Power Products have discovered that with a few simple modifications, we were able to install a Banks Techni-Cooler Intercooler designed to fit a 6.0L PowerStroke into a 7.3L. Now, what would be the benefit of doing such a thing, why not just install the Banks intercooler designed for a 7.3L? The Banks 6.0L intercooler is much larger than the stock intercooler and has 3.5" tube connections for super flow. The construction is all metal and the end tanks are a great improvement for flow. This intercooler provides cooler, denser air for more power and lower Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGTs) especially when towing with a modified truck.
Therein lies the problem. They are comparing the 6.0 intercooler with the stock 7.3. Where did they compare the 6.0 to the 7.3 where BOTH are Banks units? I'm curious. And what is the difference in results, number wise.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Therein lies the problem. They are comparing the 6.0 intercooler with the stock 7.3. Where did they compare the 6.0 to the 7.3 where BOTH are Banks units? I'm curious. And what is the difference in results, number wise.
I don't recall where, but somewhere on this here interweb, I saw/read and article comparing the Banks intercoolers, 7.3 to 6.0. And the 6.0 was a lot bigger. Although there was no objective performance comparison, just comparison with a tape measure and camera.

Last edited by txgp17; 06-13-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have a 6.0L intercooler in my 2000 7.3, I also have a 6 speed manual. There was a drop in EGT's close to 100 degrees under load, and it does take a bit longer to spool the turbo. I gave up close to 2 lbs of boost in the swap. I can tell you that it was well worth doing because cooler is better if for nothing more than piece of mind. txgp17 you can keep your boost up while shifting by shifting around 2600 RPM's and not lifting all the way out of the throttle. This is the only way that i can out run these Dodges around here. It will not help you with and modified duramax i am tired of trying. My buddy bought a 99 F350 the same as mine and we put all the same stuff on his that i have on mine and he cant out run me, but to show him its his shifting i out ran him with his truck, yea i let him drive mine.
2000 F350 6sp 4x4 4in SS exhaust K&N on 35's leveled custom grill, TS 6 position chip, all the gauges, BD big head, slotted and drilled rotors all the way around, X wheel. ported turbo housing, DB starter, south bend con O clutch. boost annihilator, 6.0l intercooler, 9 foot flatbed with twin 6 inch stacks, and just picked up a ranch hand front bumper. coolant filter
2001 F250 CC 4x4 LB 11 in lift 42 in BFG's, Swamps injectors, adrenaline HPOP, Garret GTP38, ARP head studs, and more to come.
2005 F250 CC 4x4 SB king ranch 8in lift 35in tires banks 6gun banks SS exhaust, dvd, 60 gal tank in the bed, Banks Intercooler, Arp head studs, blue spring kit, coolant filter, bullet proof EGR, and oil coolers.
normanpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.