7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Liter Powerstroke MPG Upgrades

Hi Everyone:
A while ago I did some work on my 2001 F350 Super Duty with a 7.3L Powerstroke, auto trans, 4:11 axles, four wheel drive, crew cab and dual rear wheels. I have had the truck since it was new and it now has 117,000 miles on it. The fuel mileage has always been pretty crummy. I decide to see what I could do to improve the MPG. I made these mods:
1) I added an EGT gauge.
2) Installed an Injection pressure fooler. (since removed)
3) I replaced the Intercooler and engine valley boots.
4) Polished the Intercooler/Turbo "Y pipe".
5) And installed a 4" stainless exhaust.
I made a four part Youtube video that chronicles the whole project. Here are the links:

Please Comment, share and "Like" my videos.
Thanks, Mars
P.S. A picture is worth a thousand words and a 10 minute video has about one hundred thousand pictures in it.
mars1952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't see how any of these "mods" would increase fuel MPG...

have you since noticed a difference? Aside from a loader exhaust.
Anthony7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

My recommendation for your next mpg upgrades are a set of Michelin LTX M/S low rolling resistance tires and Bilstein shock absorbers.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

The only thing that will significantly help your fuel economy is to change those 4:11 gears to a 3:73. 3:55's would be better yet.
FJK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony7.3 View Post
I don't see how any of these "mods" would increase fuel MPG...

have you since noticed a difference? Aside from a loader exhaust.
Hi Anthony7.3: The overall MPG gains from these mods was fairly small. I did get a slight seat of the pants increase in power. The performance chip (actually a fuel injector fooler) did not increase or decrease the MPG. I sent it back. I did a fairly elaborate MPG test of the various devices and posted videos on Youtube.
Here are the links:

I have other MPG videos in a playlist called:
“HHO MPG Tests”
Go to my channel, I have the Play list set to be one of the first things you see. Here is the link:

mars1952's Youtube Channel

Old 01-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars1952 View Post
“HHO MPG Tests”
hahah, HHO cracks me up. pseudo science at its best! Lets use the alternator to do a totally inefficient process to make fuel to power the alternator. If HHO really worked, cars would run on water and there would be no need for fuel. Sometime I get customer asking for a tune to run HHO. I tell them if HHO really worked the O2 sensors would read it and automatically adjust. Calling water HHO will make any scientist laugh.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
hahah, HHO cracks me up. laugh.
Hi jgorm: You must mean nitrous oxide (N2O) and apparently you have not watched any of my videos. You can watch them at my Youtube channel. Here is the link:
Once you get there check out these playlists:
HHO MPG Tests
My first HHO brick
My Second HHO Brick with the Mars Gasket
These videos are pretty long by Youtube standard but the subject can not be covered by a 30 second sound bite.
Thanks for watching, Mars
Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

First thing I did was get rid of my 410 rears when I got my truck. Went to 373's and went from 10mpg to 16mpg.......
1999 PSD F350 Crew Dually 2WD, ZF6 Manual, 3:55 Dana 80 conversion,Swamps 6pos chip,Legacy 18K Mod,K&N Intake,4in Duel Exhaust,Glowshift Gauges,Duel ScanGauge II X units, Ford AIC idle unit, 08 Headlamp Upgrade
shoaboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoaboat View Post
First thing I did was get rid of my 410 rears when I got my truck. Went to 373's and went from 10mpg to 16mpg.......

Hi shoaboat: I would like to have taller gears in the axles but I need the 4:11s for work on the farm. Even with the 4:11 gears it is difficult to manuver a heavy trailer on steep ashphalt. Switching into 4 wheel low helps but then the turning radius is limited.
What I would really like is to have tall axle gears and a 4 speed transfer case that had a 2WD low setting.
Mars
Old 01-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars1952 View Post
Hi jgorm: You must mean nitrous oxide (N2O) and apparently you have not watched any of my videos. You can watch them at my Youtube channel. Here is the link:
Once you get there check out these playlists:
HHO MPG Tests
My first HHO brick
My Second HHO Brick with the Mars Gasket
These videos are pretty long by Youtube standard but the subject can not be covered by a 30 second sound bite.
Thanks for watching, Mars
Nope, N20 is for real, HHO, or H2O as scientists call it, or water for everyone else, is pseudo science and is 100% BS. Any gains you may claim to get are not statistically significant. I'm sorry if I don't have time to waste watching your long videos, but I am a scientist, and an EFI tuner, and I have proven HHO is BS too many times to start another argument. If HHO worked, even a tiny bit, you could run an engine on the H2, to power the generator, that powers the engine, that runs on its own exhaust (water). I believe Mr. Newton would have to call BS on that as well You don't have to waste time trying to sway us to the dark side so we can all have pretty bubble makers.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony7.3 View Post
Aside from a loader exhaust.
Hi Anthony7.3: What is a loader exhaust?
Mars
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I also made some changes to my 2002 7.3 CC SWB w/3.73. Go to Wal-Mart and get Diesel Kleen fuel additive. It improved my MPG by 1.5 mpg. My 4" turbo back exhaust also helped, but my Banks Ram Air intake only helped .5 mpg. With fuel heading upward to $4 a gal. it is time to find ways to improve mpg. I went from 18 to 20.5 mpg on interstate @ 65mph using cruse.
gadiesel47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadiesel47 View Post
I also made some changes to my 2002 7.3 CC SWB w/3.73. Go to Wal-Mart and get Diesel Kleen fuel additive. It improved my MPG by 1.5 mpg. My 4" turbo back exhaust also helped, but my Banks Ram Air intake only helped .5 mpg. With fuel heading upward to $4 a gal. it is time to find ways to improve mpg. I went from 18 to 20.5 mpg on interstate @ 65mph using cruse.
Hi gadiesel: I paid $3.50 for diesel today.
Mars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.