Are all performance chips considered illegal for on-road use? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are all performance chips considered illegal for on-road use?

I live in Texas and I was thinking of getting a chip to improve my fuel economy from Jody at DP Tuner. I tried to look this question up on-line, but surprisingly, I didn't find what I was looking for. I know that some chips are illegal for on-road use in some states, especially California, but how can I find out if performance chips are illegal or not in the state of Texas? Also, if all chips aren't illegal in Texas, how can I find out which ones are and which ones aren't? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x4, Auto Trans., Ford Severe Duty AIS, WARN Hubs, Ranch hand Grill Guard & Replacement Rear Bumper, 285/75 BFG A/T's, Cover King custom seat covers, Tint & Viper Alarm, Retrax Bedcover

DP Tuner F8
-60 HP Economy Tunes
-80 HP Economy Tunes
Torqmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
The big problem with chips is if you have an emission test in the area that you live in. If you live in an area that does it on diesels and you leave the chip in the performance setting and they do a snap test which puts out a lot of smoke for quite a while you will fail. My suggestion to you is to have the chip burnt with a stock setting and then if you do have to have it tested put the chip into that setting.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
The big problem with chips is if you have an emission test in the area that you live in. If you live in an area that does it on diesels and you leave the chip in the performance setting and they do a snap test which puts out a lot of smoke for quite a while you will fail. My suggestion to you is to have the chip burnt with a stock setting and then if you do have to have it tested put the chip into that setting.
Right, I understand that, but I guess my question is more along the lines of is it illegal to use a chip for on-road use according to the "laws of the land" so to speak? In other words, even though I'm not interested in the performance aspect, but rather fuel economy, would I be breaking any laws by running a chip on my truck? For example, i'm sure in California that most performance modifications are against the law because of the strict emissions guidelines. I'm wondering if there are any of those laws here in Texas and also if there are certain chips that are illegal and ones that are not.
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x4, Auto Trans., Ford Severe Duty AIS, WARN Hubs, Ranch hand Grill Guard & Replacement Rear Bumper, 285/75 BFG A/T's, Cover King custom seat covers, Tint & Viper Alarm, Retrax Bedcover

DP Tuner F8
-60 HP Economy Tunes
-80 HP Economy Tunes
Torqmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Banks has 5 power levels available on chips. Levels 1-4 are CARB certified, level 5 is not. Hypermax has two levels. Level one is CARB certified, level two is not. I don't know about any of the other brands.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think the answer you are looking for is NO. I'm quite positive that they are not illegal. Just note one of the previous posts about failing the emissions test if your state tests emissions on diesels.
2002 F350 CC,Short Bed, Dually w/ 7.3L, Air Raid intake, 3 gauge pod w/ISSPRO V2 gauges, Overhead gauge mount with DP Tuner gauge switch, DP F6 tuner w/stock, 1300 hi idle, 80 econo, 120 race, 40 & 80 tow and decel tunes. 4" turbo back Magnaflow exhaust, CPR fuel system, CCV mod, Adrenaline HPOP and Full Force single shot stage 1 injectors.
http://community.webshots.com/album/576806969VrqaZx
amberjax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Anything that increases the amount of diesel smoke produced is illegal in California as of this year. I haven't heard of any restrictions in any other states. It is a visual inspection in California. The truck doesn't have to be hooked up to the testing equipment to measure the exact amount of smog produced.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

More Smog Inspection Questions

I found this site doing a search for California and chips. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, and have been waiting to chip it until after my 1-year warranty is up (August). In the meantime, the military is moving me to California, and I will have to undergo the smog inspections. I am also new to Diesels, so don't know as much as I would like about the chips and need to change the exhaust. Any and all help on this stuff would be great. Thanks!
nickvilardi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

austin is part

of 5 county emission testing. most hp upgrades are "for off road use only" to cover manufacturors uh rear from legal action..check out all the dodges that smoke 5 blocks down the road around town...i'm in burnet. your best bet is to buy a system that can be turned off like bully dog. or a programer you can change out at sticker time...
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
RT

Diesels aren't emission tested in Texas as of yet. I've never had the guys even look under my hood, much less my chip. He drives it around the shop, honks the horn, checks the lights and slaps a sticker on it. An I'm in a county adjacent to Harris, so we get the most stringent emissions test the State has to offer.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

I had to get my truck smog tested a few weeks ago. Put the DP-tuner back to position 1 (stock) on the way in to the parking lot, test, put back into position 4 (80E) on the way out, and everybody's happy. I only put out about 1.5% of max soot on the snap test. They did check for a cat, luckily mine was the last year of production without one.
2003 F250 Lariat 4x4 crew cab, 7.3 PSD, 3.73 limited slip, auto, oxford white and Arizona beige, 4" turbo-back stainless Magnaflow, Ford AIS, coolant filter, 3 gauges in overhead pod, CAT ELC coolant, ATS ported compressor housing, DP-Tuner F5 (decel, 65 tow, 80E)

2011 VW Jetta TDI 6-speed
1963 John Deere 4010 diesel

The Toys:
Rage'n 2930-5GLX fifth wheel toy hauler (GVWR 13.5K)
Circle J bumper pull horse trailer (rated for 3 but I take out the dividers and load 4)
4 horses of questionable parentage
Henry Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
I had to get my truck smog tested a few weeks ago. Put the DP-tuner back to position 1 (stock) on the way in to the parking lot, test, put back into position 4 (80E) on the way out, and everybody's happy. I only put out about 1.5% of max soot on the snap test. They did check for a cat, luckily mine was the last year of production without one.

I just did my smog test today in california. I put my DP-tuner into the stock position, and hid it under the dash. I'm probably paranoid, but i wanted to be safe. The guy was pretty thorough about the visual inspection (i didnt have any problems). He also hooked the truck up to his computer for a short amount of time. Not really sure why he did it, but i passed. Also, he noticed the Banks sticker i have on the truck form before i took of most of the Banks system. While talking to him, he told me to be careful if i was going to upgrade to the top of the line Banks system, as it would fail smog. So, as others have noted, when you're in california.......make sure that do not get something that says "for off road use only". Other than that, I think you should be fine.

All of that being said (I could be wrong on this), I think i heard that fairly soon the testing will be far more strict than a visual test (I think they will be using a wand in the exhaust). Hope this helped out a bit.

LASB turbo from Irate Diesel
Bellowed up-pipes
4" turbo back exhaust
Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost)
AFE Stage 2 XP Pro Guard 7
DP Tuner F6 (no start, stock, 80e, 60e, 60t)
AIH delete and CCV mod
F650 Dash with Carling switches
2002 Headlights with FX-R HID bi-xenon projector retrofit and 50W 5000K bulbs
53fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
I had to get my truck smog tested a few weeks ago.
Where in "Free Idaho" did you have to do that? And, why?

TIA,
- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate View Post
Where in "Free Idaho" did you have to do that? And, why?

TIA,
- Don
Unfortunately, I live in Ada county, which has smog testing. Been meaning to get a cabin up in Valley county and register my vehicles up there to avoid the shakedown.
2003 F250 Lariat 4x4 crew cab, 7.3 PSD, 3.73 limited slip, auto, oxford white and Arizona beige, 4" turbo-back stainless Magnaflow, Ford AIS, coolant filter, 3 gauges in overhead pod, CAT ELC coolant, ATS ported compressor housing, DP-Tuner F5 (decel, 65 tow, 80E)

2011 VW Jetta TDI 6-speed
1963 John Deere 4010 diesel

The Toys:
Rage'n 2930-5GLX fifth wheel toy hauler (GVWR 13.5K)
Circle J bumper pull horse trailer (rated for 3 but I take out the dividers and load 4)
4 horses of questionable parentage
Henry Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
mine passed 80e , but the 60sec check engine light almost did'nt ,

light was NOT CUZ OF DP but AIH delete . i never get a check engine other than cold starts 60sec's

slc county ut smog 230,000 miles
2001 F-350 larait c.c. s.b. 4x4 auto, keenwoodkvt915 in dash dvd 7inch screen ,1 alpine Rtype 12 woofer 1500 watts,pheniox gold mono block class d amp, scorpion BOX, level kit,mr taillight foglight highbeam kit, stock ford 18's on contie's, rancho 9000ES shocks ,6.0 transcooler, derale trans pan ,ccvdiy mod ,zoo dad , powerstrokehelp.com FUEL mods , hood insulation delete ,foil delete , high presure oil x pipe, DP tuner F-6 = 900rpmEBV, drive-thru tune ,EBV Engine brake tune,40tow ,60 econo, 80econo , supersmoke (use with OD) , 100hp, 120race 140agrresive, 3 pilier pod , pyrometer, 2trans temps inside tranny/outside ,boost,diy cold air6637 & 45 degree 4 inch alum.8"x8" , JEG'S 4" downpipe to 5" exhaust flopro 6"tip , dfuserA.I.H.plug, Extreme diesel Xwheel , (commin soon banks technicooler )

Last edited by dtsthx; 02-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.
dtsthx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvilardi View Post
I found this site doing a search for California and chips. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, and have been waiting to chip it until after my 1-year warranty is up (August). In the meantime, the military is moving me to California, and I will have to undergo the smog inspections. I am also new to Diesels, so don't know as much as I would like about the chips and need to change the exhaust. Any and all help on this stuff would be great. Thanks!

If you are military (like me) I would highly recommend taking advantage of your military status and keeping your truck registered in your home state and NOT getting California plates. As long as you are active duty and on orders you can operate your vehicle in California with out-of-state tags for the duration of your assignment.
Griffin CS Programmer, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite 203 Thermostat, Baldwin Oil Bypass, Baldwin in-line Transmission Filter, DIY Tymar w/Donaldosn filter, Red Head Steering Box, 6.0L Tranny Cooler, 4" MBRP turbo-back exhaust, AMSOIL, KENWOOD DVD/GPS entertainment system and always looking to do more....
The Trailer: 2005 Keystone Outback 28RSS, 8,000 GVW
navycranes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.