Ambulance Alternator - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ambulance Alternator

Has anyone done this swap? I am going to attempt to swap out my stock alternator for the high amp ambulance alternator that is quite a bit larger.
it appears so far that i will need to modify the bracket for more space but it seems it will bolt up.
any help or experiences would be greatly appriciated!
00 F-350 amber crew cab lariat dually. 18" Kelderman air lift, 24.5" alcoa's, 9tv's, ps2, xbox, stacks, TS chip, cold air intake, pillar guages, K5LA Train horn, Lambo doors, 05 front end, JL audio system.
05 Viper SRT-10 supercharged, 19-20" HRE's, penske suspension, corsa, roll bar, 660rwhp
rich00dually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Y2K ambulances had dual altenators rated 110 amps each. SuperDuty pickups without the dual altenator option had a single 95-amp battery. So yeah, one of the altenators from a Y2K ambulance will be slightly bigger than than the stock altenator on your Y2K pickup.

But another option is to get the 130-amp single altenator from a 2002 7.3L diesel pickup. All sorts of options out there if you are willing to modify the mount to make it fit in your Y2K pickup, including the 140-amp single altenator from a 2004 6.0L diesel pickup.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Or you could do this.

FORD DIESEL EXCURSION 160 AMP HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR 02 03 8316: HO-8316-3-160 AMP ALT- DB Electrical Starter-Alternator

There are others this was just the easiest to find.

2002 F-250 XLT CC SB\HPX\ITP prepump mod\Harpoon\DI 65psi fuel shim\4" SS turbo back Magnaflow\Fumoto\FTVB\Edge Evolution2\Zoodad\2008 Diff cover\V-10 Transmission cooler
fddriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I purchased a 215 amp alternator from autozone last night for a 2000 e-350 with the ambulance package. It is HUGE!
I believe it will fit the mount holes, but the bracket will definatly need modification. I will attempt to post pics soon after I get it mounted and
hopefully it works...
00 F-350 amber crew cab lariat dually. 18" Kelderman air lift, 24.5" alcoa's, 9tv's, ps2, xbox, stacks, TS chip, cold air intake, pillar guages, K5LA Train horn, Lambo doors, 05 front end, JL audio system.
05 Viper SRT-10 supercharged, 19-20" HRE's, penske suspension, corsa, roll bar, 660rwhp
Old 06-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

well it is mounted, hooked up and works great. I needed to cut and modify the mounting bracket and space it up so it would not hit the upper radiator hose. here are some pics
size comparison

mounted

note the spacers used.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

You could have replaced the upper radiator hose with one meant for dual alternator application. Would have routed it out of your way. No spacers needed. Plus if your belt were to break you wouldn't have to R&R the upper radiator hose to replace it. Just a thought.
AIS intake.
ISSPRO EV Gauges: Pyro, Boost, Trans temp.
4" MBRP turbo back.
DP Tuner: 1,200HI, 80E, 120R, 80tow, 60tow.
Overboost Annihilator.
ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor.
IH Bellowed up-pipes.
BTS 4R100. -10/11/2010
diablo53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Did you have to get a different belt because of the larger size of the alternator?

And Diablo is right. When I changed out the water pump, I went ahead and put on the upper radiator hose for dual alternators to reroute the hose out of the middle of the belt. Well worth doing, imo.

short_stuff
Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, RollX bed cover, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 131k somewhat error-free miles (so far) [never back to dealer for anything] , Edge Evolution (testing 60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2), all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines

2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 l turbo 200 hp gas engine (TDI engine not available for it yet)
short_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
what was the cost and the warranty on it?

AJ

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter - 80k on WVO
Veggie Oil Conversion - HOH, GFS Diesel Tank, Stock tank modified for veggie with Hotfox, Hydraforce Valves, FPHE, ARC filter wraps & twin FASS/DPP HPFP's. ITP Reg Return/fuel bowl delete, HPX, AIH, 6.0 IC & Tranny Cooler - Dieselsite 203 T-stat & Coolant Filter - CAT ELC - BTS Valve Body - AIS with fender mod - Dome light overide switch - MBRP 4" Turbo Back - Bully Dog 50HP "McClain Veggie Tune" Programmer - Full A pillar Trans,Pyr,Oil Pres,Engine Temp - Overhead Pod Fuel Press, Boost, Volt meter
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (52)
Nice! I might have to do that one of these days... Getting ready for another one to die I think!
01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
CSIPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

So what was the reason for going to such a big alternator?? I can see up grading to a bigger one like the DB...But wow that beast is huge!!! When my aftermarket fog lights are on and ac cranking the idle drops a fraction and the headlights dim ever so little. But I feel ok with my alternator. I keep looking at the pic it looks nice.
99.5PSD, F250, 4x4, wht. CC, SB, Line-X, 200K+ , 6spd,LUK Ceramic Clutch, Warn Premium hubs, DP Tuner F5 stock/high idle/40T/60T/80E/100hp, Casserly STG1 sticks, DIY TYMAR, No EBPV, 08 Diff Cover, 4"MBRP S/S, Banks wheel*traded for stock wheel*, ATS Housing, HXLine, Zoodad Mod, CCV Mod, AIH removed, Shimmed fuel, Isspro Boost Guage & Pyro Guage, 2" Level Kit, Firestone Air Support Springs, BFG AT k/o, CB Galaxy DX949, DUAL Antennas, Lead Foot came stock

1998-F150 4x4, LB, K&N, No Kitty, 24LB inj, CB...Wifes ride.

94 Mustang GT, Red, Black Saleen rims, T-5, intake, exhaust, cam, 24LB squirts, tuned, last of the 302...
PStroked444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ford believes it is necessary to disable one alternator of a dual system when the glow plugs are on. They think glow plug life will be shortened with full charging voltage to them.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Y2K ambulances had dual altenators rated 110 amps each. SuperDuty pickups without the dual altenator option had a single 95-amp battery. So yeah, one of the altenators from a Y2K ambulance will be slightly bigger than than the stock altenator on your Y2K pickup.
My truck has factory dual 110 amp alternators. They are small case 6g alternators. I'm not aware of a smaller cased alternator. I have the new parts to build a couple of large case 6g 135 amp units for my truck. I may have that project finished in a couple of weeks.

The alternator in that picture is not the OE Y2k unit.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah, the word "bigger" was not technically accurate. "Higher capacity" would be more accurate.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
Ford believes it is necessary to disable one alternator of a dual system when the glow plugs are on. They think glow plug life will be shortened with full charging voltage to them.
Why is it charging when the glow plugs are on (ie, when the engine is off)? What am I missing?
'02 PSD X Ltd 4x4 "the new a-burbit" - Noah, 2 1/2. Corrected suspension (V-codes w/addaleaf, Ride-rite's with a Bruce inspired tank, Hellwig Anti-Sway) dvd/vcr, 35's on 18's, Airaid stage 2, Walker BTM, pyro, ported housing, DP 60 special tow, 60high, 80high, 80econo, 100 perf, doo-dads, blah blah blah. Some kind of metallic blue with tan trim.
'81 scrambler...with a various assortment of 1 ton parts.
'90 blazer with a big snow-throwing whirly thing on the front
'90 YJ with lockers and stuff (kids car)
'08 supercrew paid for by work
'13 Subaru for my bride
'77 F-150 with Rainbow stripes reserved for the Relic Run TM
Maverick4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick4x4 View Post
Why is it charging when the glow plugs are on (ie, when the engine is off)? What am I missing?
In cold weather, the glow plugs stay on for a minute or so after the engine starts. The wait to start light goes out, but the glow plugs are still pulling juice after the altenator(s) begin cranking out the juice. This helps warm up the combustion chamber so you get complete combustion faster (therefore less smog emissions).

Here are the words from the diag manual for a 2002 7.3L engine with CA emissions. Engines with 49-state emissions use similar logic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC/ED Manual
The glow plug on-time is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and is a function of oil temperature, barometric pressure and battery voltage. The PCM enables the Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM) which drives the individual glow plugs. Glow plug on-time normal varies between 1 to 120 seconds. In addition to the PCM control, the GPCM internal limits the glow plug operation to 180 seconds regardless of PCM commanded on-time. The power to the glow plugs is provided through the GPCM solid state drivers directly from the vehicle battery. ...
Note: Wait to start lamp on time is independent from GPCM on time.
So assuming your batteries are in good shape and the key is turned on, the colder the oil, the longer the glow plugs are on - regardless of whether the engine is running. Notice the computer logic of "is a function of oil temperature, barometric pressure and battery voltage" doesn't include any input as to whether the engine is running.

I don't know what barometric presssure (altitude) has to do with glow plug operation, but apparently the Ford computers (modules) use it too. Maybe the higher up in the mountains you are located, the longer the glow plugs stay lit? Or vice versa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.