Amsoil Single Bypass Install? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil Single Bypass Install?

Has anyone done an Amsoil single bypass install on their 7.3L, without tapping the oil pan? I'm highly reluctant to do so, and want to do an install similar to the way the Oilguard goes into the square 5/16" return plug near the full-flow filter. However, I don't think the Amsoil single bypass kit has the right plug for that spot.

Anyone know what I need to buy?
1) 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Dark Green, DP Tuner, Autometer gauges, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Walker BTM, Dahl 100, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat, Billet Tstat Housing, AIH delete, Hellwig swaybar, KYB shocks, Amsoil Bypass / fluids, Hutch Mod
2) 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Chestnut, BTS Tranny, DI 4-Way Chip, AutoMeter CF gauges, AFE intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, Wicked Wheel, HP/X Crossover, KYB shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar
3) 99.5 F250 CC SB PSD XLT, 4x2, 3.73 LS, aFe Stage 1 intake, Zoodad mod, 4" turbo back exhaust, Amsoil
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

why dont u run the Racor/Oilguard system?? Unless you already own it or its free why run the Amsoil.
2001 X, 4x4, White, Limited, PSD,. Oil Guard, Stull 6099 Grille, AFE Intake, X Monitor, Sonnax/Tricumulator, Mobil 1 ATF w/Racor tranny filter, PHP Custom Burn Chip, Walker BTM, W Code Frt Springs, Procomp Add-a-Leaf Rear, Rancho 9000XL's w/5406 SS. Pics @ http://community.webshots.com/user/txangler32
TXANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
You don't need to tap the pan, There are two plugs at the filter housing and on the block that are used for by-pass kits.

[IMG][/IMG]
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

To clarify:

1. I have already purchased the Amsoil single bypass kit.
2. Yes, I know that these two ports exist, as demonstrated in your photo (which is KILLER!...by the way). I even mentioned that in my original post.
3. My problem is, it does not look like Amsoil gave me the proper fittings to plug into both of those spots. I *think* I can do the supply port with what they gave me, but I do not believe they gave me what is needed for the return port.

Therefore, my question is...does anyone know specifically what I might need for these two ports to work with the Amsoil installation kit? Maybe it's there, and I'm simply not seeing it properly. The Oilguard kit you displayed uses a different system for attaching the hose to a fitting, and the fittings are different too (I believe). But the concept is the same...I need Amsoil-specific. Just trying to get an answer this weekend versus having to wait until next week to call Amsoil Service Tech Line.
1) 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Dark Green, DP Tuner, Autometer gauges, AIS w/ Zoodad, ITP HP/X, Walker BTM, Dahl 100, Coolant Filter, 203 Tstat, Billet Tstat Housing, AIH delete, Hellwig swaybar, KYB shocks, Amsoil Bypass / fluids, Hutch Mod
2) 2000 Excursion PSD Ltd, 4x2, Chestnut, BTS Tranny, DI 4-Way Chip, AutoMeter CF gauges, AFE intake, Magnaflow 4" turbo back, Wicked Wheel, HP/X Crossover, KYB shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar
3) 99.5 F250 CC SB PSD XLT, 4x2, 3.73 LS, aFe Stage 1 intake, Zoodad mod, 4" turbo back exhaust, Amsoil
Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Are you using the BMK-11 kit? If so it looks like they supply it with 1/4" hose, IIRC the threaded plugs in the block and filter base are either 1/4"NPT or 1/8"NPT thread. You may have to go to the parts syore or a home center and pick up a threaded bushing or reducer, depending on the setup. For a reference 1/4" NPT is the same as your typical air hose fitting.

1/8"-1/4" NPT Bushing

1/4"-1/8" NPT Reducer

2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm installing the BMK-21 (the replacement for the older BMK-11). Frankly, they are almost identical setups, just a different filter housing/mount assembly if I'm not mistaken.

OK...realized I'm an idiot (First time ever? Don't think so...). Apparently the plugs that fit into the hose fittings are 1/8" on the other side, so I should be able to just plug it right into the pressure/supply port. And thanks to your photo, I realize that the bushing in the kit was indeed a 3/8".

But, after long deliberation, I am going to have to have an "L" bracket fabricated so I can mount to the frame rail while, yet still clear the brake cable. There's always something...

Last edited by Tailgate; 10-03-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I am about the pull the trigger on this. Is the picture below from this Kit? Do you know if the kit uses JIC for the hoses? I assume it is but it just says adapter on the parts list. I am currently running my aftermarket oil pressure gauge from the pressure port and figure I will just put in a T fitting to continue to monitor oil pressure. What is actually controlling the flow on this? Is there an orifice in the head? Thanks.

AJ

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter - 80k on WVO
Veggie Oil Conversion - HOH, GFS Diesel Tank, Stock tank modified for veggie with Hotfox, Hydraforce Valves, FPHE, ARC filter wraps & twin FASS/DPP HPFP's. ITP Reg Return/fuel bowl delete, HPX, AIH, 6.0 IC & Tranny Cooler - Dieselsite 203 T-stat & Coolant Filter - CAT ELC - BTS Valve Body - AIS with fender mod - Dome light overide switch - MBRP 4" Turbo Back - Bully Dog 50HP "McClain Veggie Tune" Programmer - Full A pillar Trans,Pyr,Oil Pres,Engine Temp - Overhead Pod Fuel Press, Boost, Volt meter
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Update,

I was going to buy the whole kit til I looked closer and saw that I can buy just the amsoil filter head for 32 dollars. I have lots of 3/8 parker pushlok hose lying around and for less than 10 dollars in fittings and hardware I can get this thing going. The filter head is part number BK-303. Turns out it is the filter head that has the restricting orifice so the 3/8 hose wil be ok. Its so rad already having these ports. I just got to find out what size the lower one is. I know the upper is a 1/8 npt. By the looks of the picture it is probably a 1/4npt.

AJ

Veggie Oil Conversion - HOH, GFS Diesel Tank, Stock tank modified for veggie with Hotfox, Hydraforce Valves, FPHE, ARC filter wraps & twin FASS/DPP HPFP's. ITP Reg Return/fuel bowl delete, HPX, AIH, 6.0 IC & Tranny Cooler - Dieselsite 203 T-stat & Coolant Filter - CAT ELC - BTS Valve Body - AIS with fender mod - Dome light overide switch - MBRP 4" Turbo Back - Bully Dog 50HP "McClain Veggie Tune" Programmer - Full A pillar Trans,Pyr,Oil Pres,Engine Temp - Overhead Pod Fuel Press, Boost, Volt meter

Last edited by ajohansson; 10-10-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Update - upper pressure fitting is infact 1/8 npt and the bottom port is 3/8 npt. Hope this helps. here is a link for the fitting sizes. SpringerPop's Lube Bypass Filter

AJ

Old 10-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I'm installing the BMK-21 (the replacement for the older BMK-11). Frankly, they are almost identical setups, just a different filter housing/mount assembly if I'm not mistaken.

OK...realized I'm an idiot (First time ever? Don't think so...). Apparently the plugs that fit into the hose fittings are 1/8" on the other side, so I should be able to just plug it right into the pressure/supply port. And thanks to your photo, I realize that the bushing in the kit was indeed a 3/8".

But, after long deliberation, I am going to have to have an "L" bracket fabricated so I can mount to the frame rail while, yet still clear the brake cable. There's always something...

One option you have when mounting a bypass oil filter on a 4X2 Superduty or “X” is to mount the filter head inside the frame rail directly across from the full flow filter with a piece of angle iron. I have tried to attach a couple of pics of installs I have done before with both the Baldwin B164 and the Oilguard EPS-20 units. I hope this helps out.

Baldwin BT111 External Trans Filter
OilGuard EPS-20 Oil Bypass Filter
Baldwin B5134 Coolant Filter
Dual External Trans Coolers
DieselSite 203 Thermostat
D.I.Y. Nappa 6637 Intake
SuperChips 1705
Bilstein Shocks
Zoodad Mod
vetmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

From earlier thread:
I just installed an Amsoil single filter bypass after researching this and other sites. If you take the time to find it there is a post that identifies exactly which ports to use (THAT ALREADY EXIST) near the stock full flow filter. For less than 200 you get everything you need except the actual adapter to mount the filter base. By-Pass Filters and Mounting Systems, get the BMK-21EA. I got the big filter, and 7 foot of extra hose.
I bought an 8" long piece of aluminum angle, 1/4" thick and mounted it to the driver's right rear seat mount bolt and the other welded in nut next to it. This puts the filter just behind your transfer case, on a 4x4, and allowed me to use the biggest filter they had. The filter mount they send you bolted right to the angle aluminum really nice and secure.
The other end is even easier. You remove two plugs and use the fittings in the kit to mount the supply and return no problem. The stock filter is never touched.
I highly recommend this method, whichever filter company you go with.
Also, please note, there is a small hole in the filter mount that minimizes the amount of flow so you don't lose pressure.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

BIG UPDATE:

OK, install was simple...but frustrating. Mainly because the 3/8" plug had that female square plug on it that is 5/16" square...and NO ONE seemed to even know what a keystock bar was (meaning HD, Lowes, Sears, etc.). I finally got one at an O'Reilly Auto Parts place, but it took them 20 minutes to realize I was wanting a "Straight Key." Ironically, the part number was "Straight Key / Keystock"...so I wasn't crazy. Wasted 3 hours trying to find it. I actually had an out-of-body experience during my search, in which I was transported back in time to when the Ford engineers decided on putting that unique plug on the truck...they were laughing and saying to each other, "We are going to screw with so many people by doing this! Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Also, on my 2000 Ex, that return hole was bigger than anything that came in the Amsoil kit. I had to buy a 3/8 to 1/8 brass bushing too...but it was only $4.

Overall, once you have a bracket made and a way to remove that female square plug...the install is very straighforward.

Last edited by Tailgate; 10-19-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Good deal… I’m glad you were able to get the install done. I remember when I was looking for key stock the only folks that didn’t give me the “Deer in the headlight look” when I asked for it were the people at ACE Hardware or Orchard Supply House (OSH).
Baldwin BT111 External Trans Filter
OilGuard EPS-20 Oil Bypass Filter
Baldwin B5134 Coolant Filter
Dual External Trans Coolers
DieselSite 203 Thermostat
D.I.Y. Nappa 6637 Intake
SuperChips 1705
Bilstein Shocks
Zoodad Mod
vetmxrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.