Any Dyno Charts of ATS Housing VS. Wicked Wheel? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any Dyno Charts of ATS Housing VS. Wicked Wheel?

Hello there. I am about to purchase a chip, intake and exhaust and would like to keep my costs down as much as possible. I am trying to avoid surge and am considering the ats housing or the wicked wheel. I would like to know the differences between the two setups and maybe if someone has some dyno charts? It would be nice to see exactly what these will do for you. The information I have gathered soo far is that they will both help with surge, but what about the power bands and loosing power in the higher rpms ranges? Low end hp and tq?
Thanks for any help!
2002 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed, PSD, 10.5" Donahoe Racing,High angle drivelines,Fabtech Traction Bars,Limiting straps, 38" Toyo M/T's, Chrome Fox Racing Shocks,AFE Stage 2, DP Tuner chip, 1.0 Turbo Housing,MBRP 409 single exhaust,DVD System,On Board Air, Dipricol Gauges,Mag-Hytec Tranny pan, 4:56's, 6.0 31 row tranny cooler, May Hytec Trans. bypass delete, 4R100 John Woods Valve Body, 6.0 intercooler, Beans stage 2- 160cc injectors, KCM high pressure crossover line, International up pipe kit, Air Lift Rear air bags.
WIKD 281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Re: Any Dyno Charts of ATS Housing VS. Wicked Wheel?

I don't have the sheets anywhere but on paper, but with the housing, you will get no surge. The wheel, makes noise. For the cost of the wheel , I would throw it in, because I like noise. If you don't like the surge, you need the ATS housing on the stock turbo. Plain and simple. You should also upgrade the exhaust housing to a larger unit as well. Like the Banks housing, or a Van housing...

'01 F-550
Boonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 01:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

So the wicked wheel will not cure as much surge as the ats housing? Only thing bad about the ats housing is that its a long wait to get one! I dont mind the sound, because my truck is on 38" swampers, I dont hear much as it is because of the "roar" of the tires.
2002 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed, PSD, 10.5" Donahoe Racing,High angle drivelines,Fabtech Traction Bars,Limiting straps, 38" Toyo M/T's, Chrome Fox Racing Shocks,AFE Stage 2, DP Tuner chip, 1.0 Turbo Housing,MBRP 409 single exhaust,DVD System,On Board Air, Dipricol Gauges,Mag-Hytec Tranny pan, 4:56's, 6.0 31 row tranny cooler, May Hytec Trans. bypass delete, 4R100 John Woods Valve Body, 6.0 intercooler, Beans stage 2- 160cc injectors, KCM high pressure crossover line, International up pipe kit, Air Lift Rear air bags.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Try the wheel first, it cures about 80% of surge issues alone.

After that you can go the extra $425 for the housing if you want.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I second the Wicked Wheel, definate cheapest bang for your buck. I had surge up the yeng-yang before the wheel. Towng 8000 pound up a 6% grade at 65-68 was terrible. I had to either back out of it or drive through it, not a good scenario by any means. I added the wheel, dropped about a pound to a pound and a half of boost, but the wheel FLOWS more air. Dyno results did not change and from the seat of the pants meter she moves out quicker than with the stock wheel. And it cleaned up alot of smoke! I think the addition of the ATS housing combined with the wheel is probably the best match up in the fight against surge. Problem is once you add the ATS and the wheel, theres no doubt the next thing you'll want is a 1.0 exhaust housing. At this point you need to think about how far you want to go. Between the wheel, ATS housing and exhaust housing you have just about bought a Ball Bearing Turbo but without the BALL Bearings. This is why I stuck with the wheel and the wheel alone. It has done great, last dyno (load) she cranked out 365rwhp. Next step when this turbo goes I'll just go ahead and buy a BB Turbo and be done with it. Hope this helps,

Beantown
99.5 F-350 XLT 4x4 SC SB PSD Auto 3.73 w/factory rubber floors, Jody PMT1 reflash 80 hp tow, H/X Hose, IAH delete plug, AIS, Zoo Dad, Hutch mods, BTS Trans, Hayden 24K cooler & tranny filter, Banks wheel, EBV GONE, Fumoto Valve, 3.5 down pipe, 4" exhaust w/Magnaflow Muffler and 5" S/S tip, 3" rear blocks, Warn Premium Hubs, Bilstiens, Rancho 5406 stabilizer, Reese 16K 5th wheel rocker hitch w/ slide, Handy V gate, Prodigy, Goodyear ADT2 tires, 03 Excursion wheels, SP Performance C/D & Slotted rotors, Dipricol tranny gauge, Westach Pyro/Boost gauge, Nuvi 1490t GPS, RCI 2970DX peaked and tweaked good for 1/3rd RWHP every time I key the mic!, 10K Predator ant., Amsoil in trans and xfercase. Rotella T-6 5-40w full syn., Rotella ELC, 2003 headlights with Silverstar bulbs, Rear ICC 3 light bar, Luverne S/S running boards w/ 46" LED running lights.
beantown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

I would decide what you're going to do first, if you are going to do the housing, keep the stock wheel. If you want to do the WW first, then consider going to a larger turbine housing.

gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

At this point, I really dont want to wait for the ats housing. I am really considering the wicked wheel, but dont like that it wont cure as much surge as the ats housing. I am probably going to be done with modifications for further power after this. I am happy with the truck right now, just would like a little more pulling power now that im towing around more weight than I ever have before. I also know about the addiction to power modifications, hence the screen name WIKD 281. The 281 is my 99cobra that I lost tons of money into because I was addicted to more power, and going faster.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Our new 1.0 turbine housing works great with the wicked wheel.
http://www.beansdieselperformance.com/99-03turbo.htm
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

That's a good deal Bean, eliminates the EBPV too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Will this work with some kind of conventional wastegate controller, like the BHA (actuator) or turbomoaster, or Hallman conrollers?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
That's a good deal Bean, eliminates the EBPV too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Will this work with some kind of conventional wastegate controller, like the BHA (actuator) or turbomoaster, or Hallman conrollers?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a nonwastegated housing so no controller necessary.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

If you read the link it is a non-wastegated housing.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Ah ha, I wondered after I typed that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

This sounds like a good setup for a stock turbo.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Our new 1.0 turbine housing works great with the wicked wheel.
http://www.beansdieselperformance.com/99-03turbo.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

...so you have some positive feedback on this already? just very curious and anxious.......
!!!SOLD!!!--BLACK-2001 SUPER DUTY F250 XLT-7.3PSD, 6SPD,CC/LB,3.73:1,Engine build date:Oct.13, 2000 @ Canoas Engine Plant, APX1,SCT Xcal-2 loaded w/DP Tuner's 80Tow,80Econo,and 120Race Programs,DR 400HP Injectors,BDP 1.0 Turbo(Non-EBPV/Non-Wastegated)Housing,Wicked Wheel,AFE STG1, 4"MagnaFlow TurboBack Exhaust,Polished 6" SS Tip,ITP Overboost Eliminator,IC Wrap Delete, Full-Pillar Dual Pod loaded w/AutoMeter Ultra-Lite Boost&Pyro Guages,13" Lift in front, 15" lift in rear,38.5 Baja Claws,16.5x14 Typhoons, Dynatrac Super Duty Combo Kit,Bilstein 7100 Shocks w/ORU Billet Mounting System,Stull Billet Grill,Line-X, ORU Polished Front/Rear Diff Covers, Smittybuilt Chrome on S/S Step Bars, F650 Super Crewzer Badges.....

COMING SOON: ????

Click for pics of "THE RIDE"
nsp447 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
At this point, I really dont want to wait for the ats housing. I am really considering the wicked wheel, but dont like that it wont cure as much surge as the ats housing. I am probably going to be done with modifications for further power after this. I am happy with the truck right now, just would like a little more pulling power now that im towing around more weight than I ever have before. I also know about the addiction to power modifications, hence the screen name WIKD 281. The 281 is my 99cobra that I lost tons of money into because I was addicted to more power, and going faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use the wheel, you might want throw on the exhaust housing like what was said this will help to cure up all surge. But if you plan to do more to your truck you might want to save for a bb turbo, in the long run it will save you more money, just a thought. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Ballbuster Turbo, 4" Hog Exhaust, SCMT, Volant Cold Air Intake, Zoodad, Leveling Kit, 315/75/R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Tekonsha Brake Controller, AIH Delete, CCV, Rattler Remote Start, 600 Watt Kenwood Amp with 2-10" Rockford Fosgates, 6.0 TC & Cooler, Trans-Go Shift Kit, Autometer A- Pillar Ultra Lite Gauges: Trans/Pyro/Boost, Shaeffer's Supreme Blend Oil, Shaeffer's Soy Shield, CAT Coolant.

02 F-250 Ext. Cab Long Bed 4x4 Auto. Stock,
285/75/R16 Bridgestone AT Revos,Tekonsha Brake Controller

America runs on Diesel.
purediesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

The ww and or ATS housings are not for performance. They will actually drop horsepower all else constant. They are for stabilizing the turbo and keeping it out of the surge range. This is accomplished by moving a little less air (ww) and by using a "spill" port in the case of the housing. Either way, it keeps the PR low enough to stay off the surge line until you get the rpms up enough to move to the right on the map away from the surge line.

Use the ww and the housing to stop surge and to keep a stock turbo alive a little longer when running too much boost on it, but not for more power.

Oh yeah, and I guess the ww is also good for whistle, so that's a reason to put it on, but be forewarned, all else constant, you should lose boost. And on the same system (same turbo, same fuel ...etc) less boost is less power no matter how inefficient the turbo becomes.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.