automatic transmission rebuild - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
automatic transmission rebuild

i have a 2000 f250 super duty powerstroke. i was wondering what would be the best tranny rebuild for it. there is nothing wrong with the tranny, shifts fine and everything but i am going to do engine upgrades and will need a beefyer tranny. i am wonder brands and prices and any info as i am not very educated in this. thanks
timmygarret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Best BTS or John Woods, Best DYI a JW kit..we are a BTS dealer..best droped shiped price PM me if I can help.

Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BTS or John Wood are the only way to go. i have a BTS and couldnt be happier
Tyrant Diesel Tunes
TYMAR Intake
Casserly 250cc Hybrid Injectors
BTS
496 hp 985 tq!! 16 Apr 11
13.74 sec in 1/4 mile @ 98.5mph
PNWFDE#2
Diezel Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm planning to take mine to John Wood whenever mine goes out, because he is in Southern California not too far from where I live. However, if I lived closer to Arkansas, I'd take it to BTS. If you don't live close to either one, you can always have the transmission removed by a local shop, shipped to either one for rebuilding, shipped back and reinstalled locally.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just had BTS do mine a couple of weeks ago and I am very satisfied. I only live about a 2 hr drive from them so it was an easy decision.
DP tuner with stock, 80E, 1100 hi-idle, 60 tow, decel, 120 race
08 rear diff cover, 07 harley headlights, diesel site coolant filter, 08 center console, LED tailight upgrade
Kenwood 5120 DVD/NAV, 285 TOYO AT's
Gone with the wind 31.5 Jayco BHDS rip
jfdfire2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
For a "pro" rebuild, those 2 are the top choices. But if you or a local shop is going to do it (what I had to do) I'd suggest a BD torque converter and shift kit. That's the main things that will prolong the life of the transmission..and adding a 6.0/aftermarket transmission cooler. Diesel Site no longer sales the Tru-Cool mod for our trucks.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)//Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

First vehicle (still driving): 96 F250 XLT 2x4- All factory (injectors & turbo) except straight exhaust. 570k miles

Information .zip file
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok i dont live close enough to those places or have that much money. there is nothing wrong with my tranny. i was just wondering what a local tranny shop could put in/on my stock auto tranny to beef it up to handle more hp and last longer for future mods.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well doing it beforehand can save a lot more cost down the road. Just make sure you got gauges and keep the temps in line and don't go over a 100hp setting.

2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)//Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

First vehicle (still driving): 96 F250 XLT 2x4- All factory (injectors & turbo) except straight exhaust. 570k miles

Information .zip file
Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

i go 110hp sometimes so i would like to know what i can do to my tranny to prevent it from going bad. isnt there kits that make the tranny stronger but dont really change it. these kits wouldnt cost to much?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

What I said to do previously will cover you on a transmission for moderate tunes. 110 should be fine every now and then on a stock transmission, just dont be trying to break traction.

Information .zip file
Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Precision Torque Converters

I'd start by installing a diesel innovations torque converter. The stock torque converter would have a hard time handling 110 extra hp.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

what about a BTS shift kit/valve body?
truckosaurus
2001 F250 Crew, 25,000+ miles, PSD, 4X2, ProComp 6" lift, Short Bed, SCMT, Tymar set up, BTM, ISSPRO Pyro, boost, and Trans Gauges, in tank mods and harpooned, 28" air horn w/ on board air and tank also full set of train horns! 6 gallons of 150 PSI air. Prodigy, Draw tite Signature series 18K 5'r hitch. TTM
2005 wildcat 29RLBS 5'r, parallel EU2000i's
2003 Explorer, EddieBower, V8 4X4
2003 Explorer XLT, V8 4X4
2002 XR50
2001 PW50
taxgod4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWarkentin View Post
I'm planning to take mine to John Wood whenever mine goes out, because he is in Southern California not too far from where I live. However, if I lived closer to Arkansas, I'd take it to BTS. If you don't live close to either one, you can always have the transmission removed by a local shop, shipped to either one for rebuilding, shipped back and reinstalled locally.
You like leaving your truck at the shop? When my diode went, I could move but won't shift to Drive. I had Brian Fedex Freight the trans to my local terminal, had it loaded up in the back and drove it down to the shop. This was an after hours special but any of us can have the trans sent to the shop of choice and WATCH them put the thing in, put the old one back in the box and send it off. I got it one afternoon and sent it back the next AM but for a regular job, I would schedule it in the AM, bring the truck and trans there, install it and leave before they do stupid things to the vehicle.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
For a "pro" rebuild, those 2 are the top choices. But if you or a local shop is going to do it (what I had to do) I'd suggest a BD torque converter and shift kit. That's the main things that will prolong the life of the transmission..and adding a 6.0/aftermarket transmission cooler. Diesel Site no longer sales the Tru-Cool mod for our trucks.

I'm a little leery about that. You tell the builder what to install and when it breaks, he blames you. I would say that you should either take it as he wants to install it or find someone else. Been burned that way a couple times already. This way, it breaks and it is YOUR fault. Your build, your parts and you warranty it.

I have had to argue with GM because I used an aftermarket filter and it didn't fit and it fell out. Trans supposedly died of fluid starvation. Magnusson Moss only means they cannot deny your warranty if you use aftermarket parts AS LONG AS they cannot point it to your crappy part that failed. HOWEVER, what they don't tell you is that they can deny your warranty and let you fight them in court.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmygarret View Post
ok i dont live close enough to those places or have that much money. there is nothing wrong with my tranny. i was just wondering what a local tranny shop could put in/on my stock auto tranny to beef it up to handle more hp and last longer for future mods.
Most warranties besides JW and BTS are worthless when you mod the truck. See the fine print before you sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.