Best Cold Air intake? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Cold Air intake?

Just purchased my '03 F250 SD 7.3 and want to purchase the best intake for it (HP, Torque, and gas mileage) but don't know who the best truley K&N, Banks, AEM, AFE,or Airraid. Please advise. cost is not a factor. Thanks
M.Vespie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

You aren't going to get any more HP, torque, or fuel mileage from any of them. If you don't mind some noise, the Banks system is the best. If you want a quiet system that filters better than anything else, get a Ford AIS.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Send a message via Yahoo to zrainha25
i got the tymar intake. 90% of people on this site has the tymar system in there 7.3s. theirs DIY clones too. search tymar intake and there will be tons of threads
tymar intake
Tranny, EGT, Boost, Glowshift Gauges
4 in exhaust, 6in tip
DP tuner F5 chip, 80 eco, 120 race, 40 tow, stock
2004 head lights
Alpine head unit
Alpine Speakers
Kicker amp
Kicker 12in Sub
whelen strobe
8ft fisher... for now

pictures in my profile
zrainha25 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
banks the best...ok

You will free up HP, TQ and MPG's with a free'r flowing intake just as you will with a exhaust system..
The best air filter system period is a Tymar nothing will out clean and out flow one. We sell them and use them.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

1st choice tymar 2nd oh wait thats tymar too
1996 f250 crewcab auto trans 4.10 gears 4x4 7.3 ts 6 pos -idm mod -a real tymar intake -3in dp -4inch mbrp exhaust -3 guages -a big trans cooler-coolingmist water methanol injection -baby swamps and custom tunes by swamps. will it ever be enough?
towing a 2003 keystone sprinter 5th wheel 33.7 ft
mustangii is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
The best air filter system period is a Tymar nothing will out clean and out flow one. We sell them and use them.
The company that makes the Tymar filter says the filter in a Ford AIS system will flow more air and clean better. And besides the OP asked about a cold air intake. The Tymar is not a cold air intake.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
I would like to see a poll of who is running tymar and AIS and their experiences. Along with information about how long they have been running their set-up, longevity (what enviroment are they in?), changes in EGTs, etc... . A really good comparisson would be someone who has ran both.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

50 State + Canada Diesel Shops

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
444, you keep posting this and that you have the proof..I keep asking to see it..

The AIS will provide excellent filtration efficiency, but will not improve overall restriction or allow much additional air flow in the configuration that Ford uses. The Tymar Intake will provide excellent filtration efficiency as well as decrease restriction to the turbo and add significant air flow.

quote:
“Tymar is going to give you better flow but AIS is going to give you unmatched filtration…the AIS plus it will last a LONG time, like 60K miles…”

Although the AIS will give better filtration efficiency, you are only talking about 1/10 of a percent over the filter Tymar Performance Intakes use at initial filtration efficiencies. Not enough of a difference to really differentiate between the two.

For the longevity, you have to start talking about restriction ranges in both stock and aftermarket applications and how dirt will affect them. AIS has a larger capacity, but not across the restriction ranges once installed on the truck. Because of the configuration you are not lowering restriction significant over stock levels, but you are receiving better filtration compared to the stock intake.

The Tymar Intake will allow lower restriction levels and lasts approximately 15K miles in a restriction range LOWER than stock. If you want to go with longevity of filter, you can continue using the same filter and will simply not experience the positive benefits of lower than stock restriction levels.

The problem with heat shields and routing air through intake boxes is that whenever you direct air flow, you increase restriction. Low restriction is the goal, so using a filter that has the ability to flow large masses of air and then enclosing it in a box yields very poor results. Heat shields do literally nothing. Air flow under the hood is dynamic and not static. It is moving all the time. Hot air will move right around a heat shield at the same temperature and be ingested and the only thing you have caused is turbulence.

Aside from impeding minimal radial clearance and isolation of engine vibration, a serious cause for concern is placing the filter, especially a 6637 element, under a rain drip channel for the hood. Beyond the ambient moisture that will cause restriction as it is absorbed into the non-hydrophobic media, you will be directing water towards the filter anytime the rain drip channel flows more rain than it can hold or spills over the retainer during left turns.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

IIRC, the stock engine requires 450-500 cfm to run. If a heat shield is properly sealed, how does hot air move around it? With air moving at that rate, I don't see how the heat from the engine bay could have a significant air temperature affect the the intake. Do the zoodad mod and its pretty "dynamic". And filtration is what mainly restricts air flow, so its only 1/10 difference in filtration? And I've heard of several people that run the AIS with aftermarket tuner that say the filter gauge does not get sucked down.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Old 05-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

This thread inspired me to do a little experiment, I took my AIS off and reinstalled my DIY (with the hydrophobic Donaldson), I have to say I don't see how the AIS is outflowing that open element without modifications to the AIS. I don't have a zoodad or fender sleeve mod, just a stock AIS, and it has been just great, but my truck seems a little chippier with the open element. I guess it's possible it's placebo, but the SOTP dyno says otherwise. I may do the fender sleeve mod and see if that makes any difference, but I'm still on the fence.

I have noticed a tiny bit easier starts on hills in first gear with the DIY back on in place of the AIS, and I am now planning on running 4 full tanks through with the DIY and then back to the AIS for 4 more full tanks to see if there's any difference.

Either way, the AIS or DIY/Tymar are great setups as long as the open filter is the correct one, I wouldn't just use a Napa filter that doesn't resist water, but that's me and I live in a rainy climate.
JasonL is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

I went with the Ford AIS about 40K miles ago (at 102K now) and have been happy with it. Turbo vanes on the intake side are pristine, no dust in the intake, and with a moderate tune running (DP Tuner 80E) I can romp on it all I want and the filter gauge never moves. Plus it is no louder than stock. Some people like loud, I am not one of them. The only downfall I can see is that when it is time to replace the filter element, it will cost about $100. Ouch.

If I were to spend a bunch of $ on a high performance HPOP, injectors, bigger turbo, etc. in the pursuit of more ponies, I would probably get an AFE stage 2. I would also not expect the engine to go 400K miles either.
2003 F250 Lariat 4x4 crew cab, 7.3 PSD, 3.73 limited slip, auto, oxford white and Arizona beige, 4" turbo-back stainless Magnaflow, Ford AIS, coolant filter, 3 gauges in overhead pod, CAT ELC coolant, ATS ported compressor housing, DP-Tuner F5 (decel, 65 tow, 80E)

2011 VW Jetta TDI 6-speed
1963 John Deere 4010 diesel

The Toys:
Rage'n 2930-5GLX fifth wheel toy hauler (GVWR 13.5K)
Circle J bumper pull horse trailer (rated for 3 but I take out the dividers and load 4)
4 horses of questionable parentage
Henry Bowman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
444, you keep posting this and that you have the proof..I keep asking to see it..
I have posted the numbers, that were provided by the Donaldson Engineer that did the testing, many times. You have seen those numbers yet you keep posting just the opposite. You can find it in the TSD archives or you can call Donaldson and ask them.

Perhaps you have some data that shows Donaldson doesn't know how to test their own filters, lets see your data. Or perhaps you are just making stuff up to be the way you want it to be because of what you sell.

Maybe you could sell both items then it would be easier for you to grasp the facts. BTW a Tymar isn't a cold air intake.

Last edited by 444-4D; 05-17-2011 at 06:47 PM.
444-4D is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a Jobeperformance Jobe Performance - Home Page and I love it. With a banks bighead on the stock turbo and a dp-tuner set at 80econ. and banks 4 inch exhaust I get 27-30psi. of boost. They use a S&B filter thart flows 1100 cfm. Matt
Matthew Harris is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
Maybe you could sell both items then it would be easier for you to grasp the facts. BTW a Tymar isn't a cold air intake.
I think this is one of the problems. I don't see too many other vendors on here pushing their product on to buyers. I understand the wanting to make a buck and get your name out there, but I like to hear customer reviews vs a sales pitch. Is there a "best" filter/CAI? Sure...just depends on who's buying it.

I have an AFE stage 1.When I took my 1.5yr old turbo off to install the WW, the stock wheel had chips in the blades. Thats why I'm wanting to go to a batter filter. And I think you can get the filters from Tonsley (spelling?) for $60.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to do some research on the Tymar intake. Honestly I haven't heard much about them. Thanks again Mat
M.Vespie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.