best cps out there - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to lariat 7.3
best cps out there

whats the one that you guys have been getting the best mileage out of? thats what i mainly want. smoother idle is also a plus. thanks!

just hit 218,000

38R with Turbo Master
238/80% hybrids
Riff Raff FRx
5 inch miter cut stack
remote start.
Autometer C2 series gauges.

5.5 inch lift with blocks and shackle drops
DIESELSITE HEAVYDUTY BOOTS ALL AROUND.
ITP in tank kit-awesome! frame mounted pre-filter
20 in diamo rims-33in toyo A/T

DP-TUNER F6- no start,stock,60 tow codes, 80E codes, 120 race codes
DIY TYMAR with donaldson filter.
AIH cut off
hood insulation removed
always bright overhead display
05 style headlights with 14k HID'S
08 leather front seats
bypass oil system
running on WMO!
DIESEL SITE coolant filtration
Denso HT gear reduction starter. Soo fast!!!

Wish List..... BTS....Stage 3 hybrids.... Push rods and Spings!!
lariat 7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

There's buzz out there of the latest release from International (part number 1876736c91) smoothing out the engine and increasing fuel economy. Read more in this thread.

I installed this flavor CPS yesterday, replacing the original one of 11 years. Too early to tell on fuel economy, but it appears to make the engine run smoother, slightly when cold but particularly when the engine has reached full operating temperature.

99.5 F350 XLT SC LB SRW 3.73 4x4 7.3 6Spd.
Bone Stock except for AIS Moogs and Bilsteins

Last edited by Mark70; 02-16-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Mark70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

I also just installed the new part number 1876736c91 from I/H. Compared to the previous one (bark black) the new one runs slightly worse. The engine idles a hair rougher and I need to run another tank of fuel to confirm the mileage may have slipped a tinny bit. But it sure runs better than the light gray one I tried from Ford a couple of months ago.

My all black CPS has a number molded on the plug head of 08P071. I wish I could give the I/H part number but I’ve lost the box I had for it.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

this is also something i'd like to know...

i had ford replace my original and noticed a decrease in mileage... was gettin 20 on the highway.. now I get 15 and 15 around town also.. but before i was gettin 15 around town and 20 on the highway.. it seems like over 70mph the truck just drinks fuel now
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to escs36
i can't understand how a sensor can have the affects stated in this post. i would think that it works or it doesn't. i was under the impression that CPS recall was simply because of a failure rate. i changed mine last year cause it was 10 years old and noticed no difference. i do have peace of mind though.
Early Bird Super Duty 230,000 miles, Swamps 200/30%, Beans D66, Adrenaline HPOP, ITP Regulated Return, John Wood Stage 1, DP Tuning, IDM Mod, Diesel Innovations Intercooler, 4" Turbo Back w/MBRP muffler, etc...
escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escs36 View Post
i can't understand how a sensor can have the affects stated in this post. i would think that it works or it doesn't. i was under the impression that CPS recall was simply because of a failure rate. i changed mine last year cause it was 10 years old and noticed no difference. i do have peace of mind though.

I don’t know how it does it either. But, I can tell you without a doubt that the charcoal sensor with a purple O-ring has dropped my mileage by 1.5mpg and takes a little more cranking to start. It still runs fine, and there’s nothing wrong with the charcoal/purple sensor, but I think I’m going to re-install my black one or try the “new” gray one. I figure what the hell I have four now to chose from in the tool box. I might as well make an experiment out of it.
A question I have for the electromechanical guru’s out there; is it possible when installing these CPS’s that any slight rotation (or indexing) is possible in making a difference? I only ask because it seems when I install these sensors there is a little side-to-side rotational slop before tightening the 10mm bolt.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here are my experiences. The black CPS, motor runs smoother, performs better, starts faster, and mileage is a little better. I have tried three different gray CPS, with the same results, the opposite of the black. My WAG is, there is a slight difference in the head contour on the gray, compared to the black. My theory is it is affecting the timing, the difference is slight. I think this what is making the difference. Compare the two side by side, and there is a noticeable difference. How about this WAG, Ford, and maybe IH want the 7.3's to become obsolete. They know the 6.0, and 6.4 have short lives, a well known fact, not an opinion. The new 6.7 has a lot of promise, but only time will tell. Hopefully Ford has a winner. All of the recent diesels, whether big, or small have their issues. They may run very clean, but at a high price. They can't be idled, but a few minutes, or the EGR's have problems, etc. The newer motors are expensive to maintain, and have short life spans, that is just wonderful progress. USLD fuel delivers poorer mileage, less btu's, and lubricity. Look at the big picture, and it makes sense. Make the older reliable motors obsolete, and lets sell them new ones, that will generate revenue. Think about it.

Lifetime Member "BTS BUBBA" Association
"Ain't no feelin like BTS mobilin"
SLAPS Member
Sold 62 Corvair 95 Bus
92 Buick deuce and a quarter
03 Ford Windstar- Granny Hauler
HighwayPrisoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
It would be great if one of our fine aftermarket retailers would identify the key characteristics of the CPS and then build and sell the "ultimate CPS". Sounds like its possible to gain MPGs and that would sell for sure.
2001 F250 4X4 CC Lariat, fuelly; modifications: Ford AIS w/ cool_canuck mod & fender sleeve, 4" turbo-back, mechanical wastegate controller set to 24 psi, dp tuner F5 (60e, 80e, 1200 idle, 120r) all with codes option, trans temp, EGT and boost gauges, max cold valve, dieselsite boots and oil crossover line, 203 t-stat, coolant filter, Riffraff FrX, ITP hutch setup & pre-pump filter, Warn premium hublocks, Red-Head steering gear box, Scangauge II, LED glowplug indicator light.
removed: charge pipe foil, Air Intake Heater (AIH), engine cover & bracket
honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayPrisoner View Post
Here are my experiences. The black CPS, motor runs smoother, performs better, starts faster, and mileage is a little better. I have tried three different gray CPS, with the same results, the opposite of the black. My WAG is, there is a slight difference in the head contour on the gray, compared to the black. My theory is it is affecting the timing, the difference is slight. I think this what is making the difference. Compare the two side by side, and there is a noticeable difference. How about this WAG, Ford, and maybe IH want the 7.3's to become obsolete. They know the 6.0, and 6.4 have short lives, a well known fact, not an opinion. The new 6.7 has a lot of promise, but only time will tell. Hopefully Ford has a winner. All of the recent diesels, whether big, or small have their issues. They may run very clean, but at a high price. They can't be idled, but a few minutes, or the EGR's have problems, etc. The newer motors are expensive to maintain, and have short life spans, that is just wonderful progress. USLD fuel delivers poorer mileage, less btu's, and lubricity. Look at the big picture, and it makes sense. Make the older reliable motors obsolete, and lets sell them new ones, that will generate revenue. Think about it.
I don't fully agree with said statement. Are the big 3 (and others) always looking to see how they can make a profit.....yes. I think the real issue is that the EPA keeps changing their damn minds on what emission standards will be for us diesel guys and everyone is chassing the EPA standards with programs that have faster and faster/tighter and tighter timing to meet new standards, not leaving time to refine their designs to get the goods that we (the diesel guys) are used to having. My two cents from my expereince working at International.
Todes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to lariat 7.3
thanks guys. whats the part # on the black one that you are talking about? where do i get it from? best price etc.

just hit 218,000

38R with Turbo Master
238/80% hybrids
Riff Raff FRx
5 inch miter cut stack
remote start.
Autometer C2 series gauges.

5.5 inch lift with blocks and shackle drops
DIESELSITE HEAVYDUTY BOOTS ALL AROUND.
ITP in tank kit-awesome! frame mounted pre-filter
20 in diamo rims-33in toyo A/T

DP-TUNER F6- no start,stock,60 tow codes, 80E codes, 120 race codes
DIY TYMAR with donaldson filter.
AIH cut off
hood insulation removed
always bright overhead display
05 style headlights with 14k HID'S
08 leather front seats
bypass oil system
running on WMO!
DIESEL SITE coolant filtration
Denso HT gear reduction starter. Soo fast!!!

Wish List..... BTS....Stage 3 hybrids.... Push rods and Spings!!
lariat 7.3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lariat 7.3 View Post
thanks guys. whats the part # on the black one that you are talking about? where do i get it from? best price etc.
International dealer if they have any left. I don't think the black ones are produced any more, are they?
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Where can I find pictures of removing and installing a turbo on a 7.3L Diesel Ford F-350
ronporritt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronporritt View Post
Where can I find pictures of removing and installing a turbo on a 7.3L Diesel Ford F-350
Not in this thread.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Jody at DP Tuners had some black ones, a while back. Not sure if they still do or not. They were the orginal Ford ones. I think they were going for about $75.
Other than that, I am still thinking the old blue one that IH came out with a few years back, did everything the new IH dark gray one does. I just think they changed the plastic, and put a purple o-ring on it. It did retard the timing, with smoothed out the engine lope, made it easier to start, and quieted it down. Sometimes it blew a hole in the fuel milage. It was actually for the IH DT 466, 6 cylinder diesel engine.
Just an observation, I really don't have any idea.
"White Moose", 2001 F-250,XLT,Auto, Super Cab, 4x4. Early PSD, build date: Aug. 16, 2000, no PMR. AIS, AIH delete, Zoodad, CCV mod. (not any more), BTM, GOS headlite harness upgrade, harpooned fuel tank, B&W gooseneck hitch, Firestone air bags. 6.0 Tranny cooler, pillar mount, with Isspro pyro, boost, and tranny temp. Trailer Towing Mirrors, Bilstein Shocks, 03 Clear Headlights, HP Crossover line, DP Tuner F-5 switch: High Idle, 20 hp. tow, 40 hp. tow, 80 hp. tow, 80 hp. econ. drive thru. 200,000+ miles and still running strong. No mech. diode tranny. Changed to the 2002 model ,before it left the dealership. 25 ft. 24k Horse Creek, flat bed gooseneck.
blueknight7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to escs36
i can imagine that the sensitivity being better in some than others. the position, clocking and depth, of the sensor itself could possibly effect the timing a tiny amount. the sensors are a tight fit, i would think only a couple thousands worth of play. we could always take the clamping bolt off and giggle it around to see if there is any play. i wouldn't waste my time. i just want a CPS that doesn't fail.
Early Bird Super Duty 230,000 miles, Swamps 200/30%, Beans D66, Adrenaline HPOP, ITP Regulated Return, John Wood Stage 1, DP Tuning, IDM Mod, Diesel Innovations Intercooler, 4" Turbo Back w/MBRP muffler, etc...
escs36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.