Boost pressure relief valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost pressure relief valve

Was speaking with a buddy of mine about putting a boost pressure relief value on my truck - a valve to stop the the truck from throwing codes if boost pressure gets to high. He was saying that with his truck (a d-max) the valve wasn't necessary as he can turn this 'feature' off with a programmer. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to do this on a 7.3, or if it's purely mechanical and cannot be turned off with programming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)
Re: Boost pressure relief valve

To my knowledge, it can't be turned off with programming. The MAP sensor takes a mechanical reading and sends the data to the PCM, I think the only way to disable defueling would be to disable the MAP sensor. There are some 'electronic' plug-ins that keep the MAP sensor from throwing the code, and supposedly work well.
It just make sense to me though, to never let the MAP sensor see excess boost.
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2006, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

an Overboost eliminator from us will cure that issue and your install will take about 10 seconds.
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
2007 ML320CDI
Soon To Be 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

http://www.spdiesel.com
"Can your Resistor do this?"
spdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am using it and it works perfect. Easy install, clean setup.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here are 2 different in-line relief valves.

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?c...on=show_detail

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...&ProdID=31

Im looking toward the BRV+ as you can use this to connect your Boost gauge to one side of the valve.

I assume you already have gauges - this just goes in the line where you are tapping for the sensing anyway. Consider the relief valve as if you ever want to change programs you wont have to worry about whether you can get the parameter in the tune/program.

2001 Ford F250 PSD, Ext cab, Shortbed, Island Blue/Silver, 4X4 Off-road, SOF Auto, Alum Wheels, DP-Tuner 40/80/120HP, Chrome Step, Line-X bedliner, Jordan Ultima 2020, AirLift 5000 Airbags, DiPricol gauges
wittmeba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

I just bought a small air preasure regulator off of ebay I think it was $6.00 delivered and it does the same thing. I guess I'm cheap [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
2000 F-250 ext. cab 4x4 lariat auto, <font color="green">F-5 60tow,80eco,120Get'R'Dun</font>,AFE Stage 2 PG7,MBRP 4" turbo back,<font color="blue">BTS-VB</font>,ITP Crossover,203*T-stat,<font color="red">CAT EC-1</font>,Isspro Overhead Pyro,Boost,Trans.Gauges
<font color="blue">Photos</font>[*]The fact is that the average mans love of liberty is nine tenths imaginary, exactly like his love of sense, justice, and truth. He is not actually happy when free.,He is uncomfortable, and a bit alarmed, and intolerably lonely. Liberty is not a thing for the great masses of men, it is the exclusive possession of a small and disreptuable minority, like knowledge, courage, and honor. It takes a special sort of man to understand and enjoy liberty and he is usually an outlaw in democratic societies. H.L. Mencken 1923
Jimmy3336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm wondering if I would need to do the mod at all. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem spending 50 bucks, or whatever, and doing the relatively easy install.

My question is related to the PCM and custom tunes. A buddy of mine has a newer d-max and a custom tuner (I guess 'sniper'is a similar product in the ford market). In his world, he simply lets the sensor tell the PCM (chevy calls it an ECM I'm told) that boost is too high, and he tells his EMC to ignore the sensor. It free, assuming you've paid for the programmer, and no cutting on the truck.

I'm wondering if the PCM on my truck is capable of ignoring the sensor, and if so, do any of the tuners on the market tell the PCM to do so? If I had a newer 6.0, I would expect to be able to ignore the sensor, but I'm not sure what to expect from the computer on the 7.3.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm wondering if I would need to do the mod at all. Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem spending 50 bucks, or whatever, and doing the relatively easy install.

My question is related to the PCM and custom tunes. A buddy of mine has a newer d-max and a custom tuner (I guess 'sniper'is a similar product in the ford market). In his world, he simply lets the sensor tell the PCM (chevy calls it an ECM I'm told) that boost is too high, and he tells his EMC to ignore the sensor. It free, assuming you've paid for the programmer, and no cutting on the truck.

I'm wondering if the PCM on my truck is capable of ignoring the sensor, and if so, do any of the tuners on the market tell the PCM to do so? If I had a newer 6.0, I would expect to be able to ignore the sensor, but I'm not sure what to expect from the computer on the 7.3.

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is NO. Read above for the solution.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.