BTS or BD TRansmission - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
BTS or BD TRansmission

ok with the tax return i will have enough $$ to order a new tranny, but i'm torn between BD and BTS, i know BTS has outstanding customer service, but i talked to both of them on the phone and they seem to have the same internal modifications, and the BD converter SOUNDS like a more heavy duty converter, so i need some opinions here, theres not much price difference so it comes down to which is really better. ANY SUGGESTIONS

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo
big head waste gate-disconnected
edge juice w/ attitude (just till i get a DP)
4 gauge pod with DiPricol pyro, boost, trans temp, HPOP

automatic tranny

ranch hand front and rear bumpers

pro comp 2.5 inch leveling kit w/315/75R16
JUSTING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (52)
Loving my Suncoast... But I dont think you can go wrong with BTS...
01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
CSIPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
BTS only uses the PI Stallion TC, it's pretty much one of the best ones you can get for these trannys.

I vote for BTS.
Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (28)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your most likely going to hear BTS on this site... that is what I would go with...
Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a rebuild set with Brian on Monday Feb 25. The install is included with the price of $3900, add on the 6.0 cooler and state tax and it comes to $ 4660.01 out the door. I live
in NC and it is 825 miles to his shop from my house,so I took some time off from work to do
the trip. I really do not have a place to take the tranny out and put it back in,so I think by
the time I had a shop to do it and paid them and the shipping, I could just drive out to him
for about the same $$. Plus, I get to see my tranny rebuilt by one of the best in the country.
I am going to also maybe get Cale to burn me a chip to go with the tranny, so the ride back
to NC will be a little faster. He quoted me $300 for a 40 hp 60 hp tow and a 80 tow tune.

Soon To Be BTS Bubba
reddgz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
actually it depends on cost and hp as to what tranny will do.

If your top program is say an 80 hp even 100 on something ike a bullydog box then you probably need no more then a valve body and a 6.4 TC. the hp and torque will be well with in the limits of that tc.

As power goes up beyond say 400, the 6.4 tc will still hold but the internal clutches may start to slip, so an aftermaket tranny mod becomes needed. And if your changing out the clutches valve body , and tc often the labor cost is similar to just replacing the tranny.

Bts has one of the most fanatic followings I have ever seen , but the do seem to work.
Suncoast has several options ranging from just a better tc , to hardened input shafts to a full billet tranny, ats is similar. I do know that at that level the suncoast is closer to 5600, the ats is more like 6800, so at 4k and some change the bts is a deal.

as far as BD is concerned they don't have many tranny users on this site , so little is known about them. But they do have a pretty broad line of heavy duty diesel mods, so I would feel comfortable using thier products.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTING View Post
ok with the tax return i will have enough $$ to order a new tranny, but i'm torn between BD and BTS, i know BTS has outstanding customer service, but i talked to both of them on the phone and they seem to have the same internal modifications, and the BD converter SOUNDS like a more heavy duty converter, so i need some opinions here, theres not much price difference so it comes down to which is really better. ANY SUGGESTIONS
When Brian built mine, There was a tranny there that Brian said the
customer had made 900+ pass at the track (4wheel drive launches)
and had pulled its own trailer full of tires, extra parts and tools ( I
guess this guy did this for a living) to the tracks weighing 10k+ lb's
for 150,000 miles......... Moral of the story..........The guy called
Brian and said he THOUGHT the TQ was slipping a little. All this
took 4 years since Brian had built it. Brian told him to ship it back
and he would put a new TQ in it and take a look inside just to make
sure everything was good. I ask Brian what he was going to charge
him for that, He looked at me and said "Nothing I want to see what
is going on inside" Now I sorry but if that isn't Grrrrreat customer
service after you call somebody and tell them how you have been
abusing their tranny for 4 years all while getting it fixed for free
then I dint know what is.
Keep in mind its was out of Warranty for 2 years
My vote is BTS.....................................Of course
You can absolutly not go wrong with BTS.
DIESELSITE BOOST RELIEF VALVE, 203^ THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING, MAX A/C VALVE AND COOLANT FILTER
ATS TURBO HOUSING, FORD A.I.S., OILGUARD BY-PASS, 4" MAGNAFLOW STRAIGHT PIPE, SIDE EXIT,
NCHORNET'S CCV MOD, POR-15 OIL PAN
ISSPRO A-PILLAR PYRO/BOOST/TRANS, ISSPRO ENGINE, OIL TEMP AND VOLTS OVER MIRROR
MARINCO MOD, LED ID BAR, HEATED SIGNAL MIRRORS, LED BRAKE AND TURN SIGNAL BULBS FRONT AND REAR
RHINO BED LINER, SIRIUS RADIO ,
AMERICAN EAGLE WHEELS WITH 305-70-16 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS WITH A 2" DONAHOE LEVELING KIT
TRUCK BUILD DATE 1/8/02
BTS BUILD DATE 1/8/07 AT 41K
My Truck
remedm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
BTS uses a PI stallion TC(excellent). The thought of watching a tranny guru build in front of me and answer questions makes me want to make the trip before I even need a trans. I vote BTS! I think BD farms there tranny builds out.
'02 Black F350srw,Lariat,CC,SB,OR. - BTS TRANS,Coated 1.00 BB TN-non EBP-6.0 Spearco IC-DP Tunes(stock,HI,60T,80E,120R)MAP maximizer-ITP reg ret.-AirDog-Fluidampr-BWD coated/ bellowed pipes-AFE2-4" Magnaflow-Dieselsite coolant filter&ESOF SS lines-Billet/203*stat-Fleetrite ELC-Bilsteins-Hawks&Cryo's-Centramatic-Billet-Extang-Husky box-Husky Liner-EGR-LineX-Alpine-Kicker-PIAA-Dynamat-Sirius-Viper-ES Poly's-BFG 315/75/16 AT's-DTS 4.56LS-31 row 6.0 Cooler-UltraLite trans,pyro,boost-DiPricol fuel-PML pan-Mag-Hytec cover-Powerslot-Hawk. Marinco,Snowman,Harpoon,AIH,CCV,foil,door ding,console mods. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557543120DKiWId
High PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

thanks for the input

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

I don't have a full tranny yet just the VB getting one when I get back from this deployment i'm about to leave on. The customer service was great when I got the VB and also it works amazing for what I have it matched up with as in the chip and everything. Go with BTS I don't see how you would not be satisfied.
03 7.3 EXT. cab 4x4 Powered by No Limit Diesel Performance, Trucks By Buck. DIY Tymar, IDMed, 5" Hypermax 3.5"DP, Autometer gauges, DP Tuner 6 pos. stock/40/80/100/140/High Idle, heater plug delete, BTS Valve Body a must for those of you who cant afford a BTS tranny yet, WW, and the Zoodad MOD.
milskired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm sched. for the 6th & 7th of next month for tranny!! Cant wait!!! I will deff. post after the experience!!!
02' Crew Lariat 4x4 swb/Full built motor & heads/ BTS Trans./BTS Hpop/BTS 5 pos. chip/Moded H2E/B Codes/F.a.s.s 150/DI Reg. fuel/NOS/6.0 Trans Cooler/Afe Stage 2/Full 4"MBRP Muff. Delete/Autometer Gauges/4" Skyjacker w/18"on 35"/BDS s.s Shocks w/DIY front dual.
peterfrae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTING View Post

Well you would be hard pressed to find the unhappy BTS customer so that should make the decision pretty easy for you. With BTS you deal with one man with BD a company.

Tom
PMF RSK V and B code springs
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

yeah i'm leaning towards BTS, anyone know how much the grand total is with tax and shipping and everything, i'll call brian in the morning, just trying to get an idea

knn intake
banks exhaust
banks turbo housing
banks power elbo

automatic tranny

Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Also in Bessemer City, Also need a transmission. Brian Gamble has mine now. No mods, What would you do $4600.00 is a bit steep for me.

Jason Tate
jtate72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to sick97psd1
I called BTS last Tuesday and by Thursday the trans was being shiped to me, arrived yesterday and I got installed and all I can say is wow. What great customer service down there. It was $4,236 with shipping but that also included 5 gallons of Shaffers Synthetic trans fluid which he recomends, which was $120.
97 F-250 PSD, Extended Cab, 4x4, Automatic, 3.55's, 102,000 miles, Dead Kitty, 3" Down Pipe, 4" Exuast, No Muffler, Tymar Intake, 3 Guage Pillar Pod, Issopro Guages, Tony Wildman 4 Postion Chip, RDS Stage 1's, EBPV delete, Shimmed FPR, SD Intercooler, Warn Lock Outs, 08' Diff Cover, Flip Up Gooseneck, 40,000 lb GVW Trans Cooler, BTS Trans!!

Next project: Install my D60 and F-350 suspension

305 HP/ 610TQ on 1/19/08

TRUCK PICS @ http://www.myspace.com/captinsmiley70
Dyno Video @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhj2noJTN_g
sick97psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.