The Diesel Stop banner

cold air intake for 7.3

36K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  knoweigh 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 f-350 and i have a couple things done to the engine but i havent gotten what everyone usually gets first, a cold air intake. the reason being i have been split between them. when i first started looking i considered the airaid but i was leaning towards the AFE stage 2. Now banks ha come out with a cold air intake and naturally they ranked themselves above all the rest of the competitors, so now im split between the AFE stage 2 cold air intake and the banks intake, and i was just wondering if anyone could give me some ideas or let me know how the products are if they already have them. thanks.

#2 ·
I have had two different AFE Intakes. I liked them as i progressed. Then i got tired of the cleaning of the filters, so i went to TYMAR PErformance and bought his intake, and havent looked back. If you want an intake kit that does what the other big names do for half the cost, then id recommend the TYMAR Intake. you cant go wrong with it or the AFE. As for the Banks intake, IMO i wouldnt waste the money.

#5 ·
I have the hack custom made 6637 lol.. i was going to get the for AIS or air raid stage 2... but from people's explanations if wouldnt flow enough for stages 2 sticks and a big turbo... im just going to switch to the Donaldson filter (water resistant 6637) for piece of mind... unless someone can tell me other wise ( a better flowing filter, without loosing the whistle lol)

#6 ·
i ran the afestage2 for about 1 year , i loved it, could feel the hp difference, but when towing the rv it was really noisy, so went back stock, really want to get the ais next.

#7 ·
1 more vote for the 6637 DYI route;
Around $45 for the filter and 3" section of 4" diameter exhaust and 15min install.

#14 ·
1 more vote for the 6637 DYI route;
Around $45 for the filter and 3" section of 4" diameter exhaust and 15min install.

What is that stuff along your fender? Is that Marshmallow Whip in case you get hungery working on the truck?

I have never heard of the DIY intake. I am sure it is better than factory as long as you are not sucking in a lot of hot air.

I bought a used AFE stage 2 for $200 and have been very happy with it the past 4.5 years. I clean the filter once a year and my intake track is very clean. I also have a cool intake sound and can hear the woosh of the turbo when I let off the throttle.

#8 ·
I have the Volant intake system. Really like it. It is a little noisey,but I enjoy it !!!!!!!! Along with the killer sounding HOG exhaust system !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink2::wink2::wink2:

#9 ·
I like the AIS. It offers unmatched protection and flows a bit more than stock, although I'm pretty certain the Tymar will flow more. I was up in the air between the two and decided on the AIS in the end. I have been more than happy with it.

#10 ·
I have the 6637 and will never change it. It's VERY cheap. That's one thing I was blown away with when it came to intakes. They want an insane amount of money for these things! Screw that. The 6637 cost me all of $50 and will out flow any of the $300-$400 systems. Plus, you can really hear the turbo, which for me, never gets old.

Steve

#12 ·
not sure how the "Tymar Donaldson" system can be cheaper than a 6637 mod; which utilizes basically the same air filter.
Pretty sure my $50 install will flow every bit as much air as the "TYMAR".

#13 ·
A 6637 compared to a stock air box is no comparison. Who cares that it sits on the insulation, so what you only have 355* of filtration. I don't think that 5* of lost circumference is going to hurt a thing. I actually liked the fact that it sat on the insulation, I did not need to find a way to mount the filter. 6637 with the outwears is the only way to go.

#16 ·
Here's how I see the 6637. While sitting in stop and go traffic on a 100 degree day, sure, the 6637 will be sucking a lot of hot air in. The very expensive air filter kits will be doing virtually the same though. Eventually, the plastic will become heat soaked, and then what does it have to pull in, fresh, clean, 100 degree outside air. Not very good.

Once you start moving, they engine bay will quickly be "flushed" out with outside air, giving the 6637 an advantage because then the expensive air filter kit has to cool off.

I'd be willing to bet that the very best expensive air filter kit and the 6637 are very close.

And I love that I spent only $50 on my air filter :)

Steve

#17 ·
He needs the lip to keep the napa filter from failing..Tymar kit..not a issue.

Aside from impeding minimal radial clearance and isolation of engine vibration, a serious cause for concern is placing the filter, especially a 6637 element, under a rain drip channel for the hood. Beyond the ambient moisture that will cause restriction as it is absorbed into the non-hydrophobic media, you will be directing water towards the filter anytime the rain drip channel flows more rain than it can hold or spills over the retainer during left turns.

#18 ·
He needs the lip to keep the napa filter from failing..Tymar kit..not a issue.

Aside from impeding minimal radial clearance and isolation of engine vibration, a serious cause for concern is placing the filter, especially a 6637 element, under a rain drip channel for the hood. Beyond the ambient moisture that will cause restriction as it is absorbed into the non-hydrophobic media, you will be directing water towards the filter anytime the rain drip channel flows more rain than it can hold or spills over the retainer during left turns.
^^^^^^^^ What cary said!!!!!!.

#20 ·
IMHO nothing about the turbo whistle and/or sucking is annoying to me.
So I like to hear as much of it as possible.
Yes, anytime you have less material (air box etc) blocking the air filter you will hear it more.
Combine that with the fact that most aftermarket units and DIY units are larger than the stock unit and you've got a recipe for a singing turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.