diesel fired coolant heater - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
diesel fired coolant heater

Does anyone use a diesel fired coolant heater on their truck? I am intrested in adding one. They are quite expensive, but if I can find a used one in good shape I might do it. I run my truck on WVO and it would help it switch over faster and have heat right off [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]!
Proheat,espar and webasto seem to be the big names.
2000 XLT LARIAT CC SB 4x4, front leveling kit, rear add a leaf, hd overload spring pack, 3.5" down pipe, straight pipe, foil delete, K&N fipk w/dry charger, oil guard by-pass oil filter, coolant filter, ccv mod, 203* T stat & housing, brv+,redhead steering gear box, auto meter boost,EGT, rear diff and trans temp gauges, Frybrid wvo kit, 6.0 trans cooler, BTS trans, 4 position chip stock, hi idle, 60 hp and 100hp, ((XM radio))
MIspecial is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: diesel fired coolant heater

I suggest posting this in the bio diesel and WVO forum.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

Espar has been around for years. I am not convinced (for me anyways) that they are that great of a benefit. In stead of plugging in to your block heater at night, you would now need to plug into a battery charger to keep the Espar unit from sucking your batteries down. Not a warm fuzzy feeling IMO I would investigate thoroughly before purchase.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

Found a propane one here.

Here is a 240v coolant heater/pump.

DP F5 tuner (60tow,80econo,120race,140agres) sportcomp auto meter trans, boost-n-egt's, cyberdyne digital fuel pressure, coolant and fuel temps., napa tymar w/zoodad, wicked wheel, aih delete, evans lifetime 0 psi coolant, 203 t-stat, diesel site coolant filter, diesel site trans. filter, triple disk billet TC, rebuilt tranny with sonnax upgrades,Richter69 tuned valvebody, custom waste vegetable oil fuel system with FASS pump,(Vegistroke design) Made for cold weather w/50 gal. tank. 315/75/16 DickCepek MC's, 2" front spring lift, rino liner, Fisher Minuteman 8' plow, 3.5"dp to 4" w/dual 5" tips straight out the back w/ soot stains on the bumper, and real .357 bullet holes in the tail gate, not the silly stickers.
frashdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

You might PM Pat Dolan. I believe he has a Webasto or Espar installed in his truck. He hails from The Great White North so he should be able to give you some good information (IIRC).

On edit: I found this from Pat by searching all forums for Espar or Webasto. [ QUOTE ]
Although I now live in the bannana belt (where winter temperatures seldom stay much below -40 or so) I used to live in Northern Manitoba, and still work a lot in Northern Alberta (no where NEAR as cold as further East - i.e. MB). The number one thing to do is change ALL of your lube oils to full synthetic. Although you can go with 0W-30 in the engine in really cold weather you can't leave it in when it warms up, so, I find that 5W-40 Delvac 1 will crank just fine at -45/-50 and works great year 'round. I use Mobil 1 ATF in the gearbox and transfer case, and 75W-90 Mobil 1 in each axle. I also use full synth grease for the steering and driveshaft. Keep some good gel-cel (non-flooded) batteries with battery blankets (80W electric warmers), the dual alternator option is great (if you are ordering new), the factory block heater is fantastic, but if you can't plug in, I use a ESPAR D5 diesel-fired heater that runs from a bank of auxiliary gel cells. A winter front is really nice, but a "nose garage" is required for really cold/windy places.

[/ QUOTE ]
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.