disconnect wastegate red line - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to countryboy 444
disconnect wastegate red line

So, I read months ago about disconnecting the red line from your wastegate, and so i got curious again a couple days ago...

I was wondering who all has done this and if so how they capped off both the wastegate and the end of the line, and also the boost increase numbers
-thanks
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Rubber cap on one, plug the other, worth 2-3 psi.
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
24' 5th wheel camping trailer, no RV parks...just the woods.
69mach1377 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do a search on it and you wil find a lot of guys that have done it. The numbers and "Ideas" on if you should plug the ends can be answered. Taking off the red line will help....Numbers??? That is where your truck will make the difference. Some trucks will make a big increase...some wont. Some guys said it hurt there fuel milage so they put it back to stock or got a better waste gate controler. when I get some free time I am going to purchase the Turbo Master Waste Gate Controler from Thedieselsite. In my opinion I think it is the best way to go comparing to the red line idea. JMHO
99.5PSD, F250, 4x4, wht. CC, SB, Line-X, 200K+ , 6spd,LUK Ceramic Clutch, Warn Premium hubs, DP Tuner F5 stock/high idle/40T/60T/80E/100hp, Casserly STG1 sticks, DIY TYMAR, No EBPV, 08 Diff Cover, 4"MBRP S/S, Banks wheel*traded for stock wheel*, ATS Housing, HXLine, Zoodad Mod, CCV Mod, AIH removed, Shimmed fuel, Isspro Boost Guage & Pyro Guage, 2" Level Kit, Firestone Air Support Springs, BFG AT k/o, CB Galaxy DX949, DUAL Antennas, Lead Foot came stock

1998-F150 4x4, LB, K&N, No Kitty, 24LB inj, CB...Wifes ride.

94 Mustang GT, Red, Black Saleen rims, T-5, intake, exhaust, cam, 24LB squirts, tuned, last of the 302...
PStroked444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just recently did this and it made a difference for me. Normal driving it seemed to build boost quicker but no higher numbers, 4-7 lbs in normal city driving. When i was having some fun i was able to get 20 lbs of boost now, before i pulled and plugged the red line i could only get 14-15 lbs max no matter how hard i stepped on the throttle. Even got a little black smoke doing a burn-out lol
DIY Tymar intake
'08 Rear Diff Cover with Royal Purple,
KCM HPX Crossover kit
ITP Diesel Regulated Fuel Return @66 PSI
Warn Premium Manual Locking Hubs
BigRed06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yup, boost numbers depend on a lot of things...
2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, Fully gaged, Cold air intake mods beyond zoodad, Stacked tuners, 4" Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 295/75/16 BFG ATs on 8" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, otherwise mostly stock.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to countryboy 444
Alright, so i pulled it off and drove down the road, went from 22 to 29-30 psi... Now i'm just gonna have to find some good plugs. gonna see if it helps pulling a sled and also with mpg's. Thanks guys
Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy 444 View Post
went from 22 to 29-30 psi...
From the posts I've read in the past, those numbers are getting high. I seem to remember reading about people blowing off their boots.

What revision are you using in your predator and what setting do you use?
Old 08-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes it is possible to blow the boots off, however that happens mostly due to older boots that have been collecting oil. They may also be loose.

I personally would not run a stock turbo with those high of boost numbers. The stock turbo wears out quicker anything above 25 plus it is no longer efficient at higher numbers.

Do a search and you can find that info.

I have used the Turbo Master controller. It works very nice.

Set it at 25 and enjoy!
2001 F350, 4x4 off road, 7.3, Auto, CC, LB, 3.73's, 285 BFG AT's, Curtis pop up hitch, 6637 intake, stock downpipe then 1st straight section is 4" with Magnaflow muffler and tail pipe (free), Autometer cubby mount gauges, CB, Sirrius radio
Rick2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to VinsonKing
Isn't there a cam shaft filter out now, and does this help keep your boots from getting coverd in oil and popping off?
VinsonKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy 444 View Post
Alright, so i pulled it off and drove down the road, went from 22 to 29-30 psi... Now i'm just gonna have to find some good plugs. gonna see if it helps pulling a sled and also with mpg's. Thanks guys
You can modulate this a bit with a plastic T setup which will bleed some but not all of the signal. Start with the T uncapped. If that doesn't lower it enough, try a cap with a small hole. Then increase the hole size.
Has anyone done this before or did I 'discover' it first?
Old 08-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ummm Do you mean a boost reliefe valve?? It fools the mapsensor. they work well. Check one out at dieselsite.
99.5PSD, F250, 4x4, wht. CC, SB, Line-X, 200K+ , 6spd,LUK Ceramic Clutch, Warn Premium hubs, DP Tuner F5 stock/high idle/40T/60T/80E/100hp, Casserly STG1 sticks, DIY TYMAR, No EBPV, 08 Diff Cover, 4"MBRP S/S, Banks wheel*traded for stock wheel*, ATS Housing, HXLine, Zoodad Mod, CCV Mod, AIH removed, Shimmed fuel, Isspro Boost Guage & Pyro Guage, 2" Level Kit, Firestone Air Support Springs, BFG AT k/o, CB Galaxy DX949, DUAL Antennas, Lead Foot came stock

94 Mustang GT, Red, Black Saleen rims, T-5, intake, exhaust, cam, 24LB squirts, tuned, last of the 302...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

No. I mean the 25 cent tee found in your garage junk drawer...with some rubber hose found on your work bench. 50 cents total...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Do you have to cap off each end of the red line after you cut it?? I pulled the line off and my boost did nothing.
And what is the address to deiselsite?? I tried going there and it would not come up??
VinsonKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

well hope you did not cut the red line. But just pull it off. Some people have plugged it...I have not. If your truck is stock the boost wont crank way up there. With a tuner you can peg it whenever the right foot gets heavy. Check out the "links" tab. Then go under "Sponsor" and you will find Dieselsite.com. Should try to fill out your Signature so everyone can see what your truck is/has. It helps everyone else help you. I call it 'Redneck-Bling'....

Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #15 (permalink)

So do I plug the actuater and the end of the red line or do you just take the red line off and leave it alone?? Sorry if I sound stupid with this but there wasn't even a slight change when I tried this. I also filled out the signature, saved it and its not coming up???
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.