Donaldson Air Intake system - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Donaldson Air Intake system

My brother has the early 1999 F350 Superduty with the Donaldson Air Filter upgrade that you can buy from Ford. I know that this is probably the best filter for the truck and I have told him that but he was wanting to know if there is any type of filters that will fit into this air kit from another manufacturer for a little better performance (more airflow). I think the Donaldson is the best for filtration but restricts some of the airflow. Please let me know what you have experienced.

I have a 6.0 Liter so I am usually on the other part of the forums so I don't know if this has been discussed before or not.

Thanks
2006 F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Liter 4.10 gears, SCT Excalibrator 2 with tunes from Innovative Diesel--these guys are awesome to deal with. AFE Stage 2 enclosed air intake with new part to fit the 2006 model trucks. SIRIUS SAT RADIO, Garmin 2610 GPS, Cage off road leveling kit, 5100 Bilstein Shocks, B&W gooseneck hitch, LINEX bedliner, CAMLOCKER toolbox, MBRP SINGLE 4" EXHAUST.
powerstroke6lite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: Donaldson Air Intake system

The only filters available for that box are Motorcraft and Donaldson. The Donaldson (white version) holds less dirt and does not filter as well as the Motorcraft (blue). I do not know if that translates to increased flow or not. The snorkel on this box restricts airflow more than the filter. Check that the rubber dam near the radiators does not partially obstruct the inlet to the snorkel. Other options:
1. Consider performing a Zoodad mod to allow direct airflow from the grill to the snorkel inlet.
2. Consider cutting a hole in the side of the box to allow the use of a fender sleeve.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mlohaus Send a message via Skype™ to mlohaus

Amsoil sells the filters also. They also sell the kit. Powerstrokeshop typically has the best prices on those filters. Something like 70 plus shipping.
577 HP 951 Trk
mlohaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Use the Ford filter and do the Zoodad mod, if you really need more air do the fender sleeve mod.
Which filter does powerstrokeshop sell with their kit? If I remember it was the white filter and this is the first time I have heard about the blue unit filtering better. Where do you get the facts for this statement?
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

NChornet, when the Ford severe duty AIS came out in 2003, we had an engineer at Ford or Donaldson post and note, in convincing detail, the filtration differences between the white and blue. I think I got mine then from powerstrokeshop with the blue, and replaced it early this year [after nearly 50k miles] with another blue from them. Sorry, can't point to the posts; maybe haul_n_horses2 will chime in with a link to that now-ancient history ...
2002 F350 Supercab Lariat 4x4 7.3L 6 spd. B&W gooseneck, Prodigy brake controller, PAC exhaust brake, WARN manual hubs, Ford AIS, Bilsteins, Michelin LTX, Line-X bedliner, 203F t-stat, Cat ELC coolant, by-pass coolant filter.
Wife's Ride: 2006 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI
Riggodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

[ QUOTE ]
Use the Ford filter and do the Zoodad mod, if you really need more air do the fender sleeve mod.
Which filter does powerstrokeshop sell with their kit? If I remember it was the white filter and this is the first time I have heard about the blue unit filtering better. Where do you get the facts for this statement?

[/ QUOTE ]The kit comes with a blue Motorcraft filter. They sell both filters and the Motorcraft (blue) is about $10 more expensive. The statement about the filtering ability and capacity of the two filters comes from JFlagstad:
[ QUOTE ]
Hello Folks,

Jordan here again from Donaldson. I think that some of you are trying to make an "Apples to Apples" comparison of these 2 filters, and that is not possible.

The filters are made using 2 different medias. Going from the blue media to the white media, you will sacrifice dust efficiency and filter capacity. I guess you need to ask yourself if you want to change the filter more often, sacrifice efficiency and save a few bucks? Or, change lest often, sacrifice nothing, and get the utmost protection for the vehicle you paid a lot of money for?

I guess it all goes back to a lesson we learn over and over again as consumers, and that is we get what we pay for.

Thanks Guys,

Jordan Flagstad
Senior Automotive Engineer
Donaldson Company

[/ QUOTE ]
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think I will just tell him that he needs to get a new intake system if he wants more airflow. I think the best aftermarket kit out there is the AFE with the proguard 7. What do you suggest if he decides to go this route.

Thanks for the responses....Also, what exactly is a zoodad mod. I think I know but just to make sure. We cut some of the rubber material at the grill when we installed the kit to let air go directly into the inlet.
2006 F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 6.0 Liter 4.10 gears, SCT Excalibrator 2 with tunes from Innovative Diesel--these guys are awesome to deal with. AFE Stage 2 enclosed air intake with new part to fit the 2006 model trucks. SIRIUS SAT RADIO, Garmin 2610 GPS, Cage off road leveling kit, 5100 Bilstein Shocks, B&W gooseneck hitch, LINEX bedliner, CAMLOCKER toolbox, MBRP SINGLE 4" EXHAUST.
powerstroke6lite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2006, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

Trim the snorkle and you'll get all the clean cool air you need.

The Zoodad Mod is cutting out the fiber plate at the side of the rad to allowing ram air to enter snorkle.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/trimmed Snorkel; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED; Auto Magic Heater Bypass; 2W Low Switch.
Cool_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 06:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The kit comes with a blue Motorcraft filter. They sell both filters and the Motorcraft (blue) is about $10 more expensive. The statement about the filtering ability and capacity of the two filters comes from JFlagstad:
[ QUOTE ]
Hello Folks,

Jordan here again from Donaldson. I think that some of you are trying to make an "Apples to Apples" comparison of these 2 filters, and that is not possible.

The filters are made using 2 different medias. Going from the blue media to the white media, you will sacrifice dust efficiency and filter capacity. I guess you need to ask yourself if you want to change the filter more often, sacrifice efficiency and save a few bucks? Or, change lest often, sacrifice nothing, and get the utmost protection for the vehicle you paid a lot of money for?

I guess it all goes back to a lesson we learn over and over again as consumers, and that is we get what we pay for.

Thanks Guys,

Jordan Flagstad
Senior Automotive Engineer
Donaldson Company

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So a employee of Donaldson is telling us the Ford filter is a better filter and we are waisting our money on the Donaldson?? Interesting, I wonder if this guy still works for Donaldson?
Thanks for the info. I have been on here awhile now and don't remember hearing this before.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 07:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Powerstrokeshop.com has the Motorcraft FA1757 element for the AIS for $57.57 right now...
1999 F-350 - CC/LB, gauges, 40K trans-cooler & external filtration & drain, 203 t-stat mod, Mag-Tech Trans & Diff. cover, AIS filtration, zoodad, HPO x-over, Jody Tipton 40HP tow PCM, Hutch mod and harpooned, Baldwin prepump fuel filter

"Better to be judged by 12, than carried by six!"
nlemerise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

When did it go on sale?

I just ordered that yesterday and it was $70.81 - is there a promo code or something that I missed?

prt